Solo time in logbook

EpicDraws

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Derek
Quick question:
My logbook has columns for PIC and Solo separately. Clearly when I am alone, I am PIC and Solo. Let's say I have one non-pilot passenger. Clearly I am PIC, but am I solo? It seems obvious no, but I am not clear if that is solo occupant or solo manipulator of controls?

Thanks!

You can log what you want to log.
Solo is solo and obviously PIC.
Non flying pax, you are not solo, but still PIC.

The only instance I can think of when it matters, some time requirements for ratings state "solo" flights, no wives, no girl friends and never in the same airplane.

Edit: you can log PIC and Solo on the same flight.

You can log what you want to log.
Solo is solo and obviously PIC.
Non flying pax, you are not solo, but still PIC.

The only instance I can think of when it matters, some time requirements for ratings state "solo" flights, no wives, no girl friends and never in the same airplane.

Edit: you can log PIC and Solo on the same flight.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Reading this thread made me come up with a question, what if you had a dog on board?

Reading this thread made me come up with a question, what if you had a dog on board?
If there is no other live human being aboard, you are solo. Dogs are not live human beings. Neither are corpses. OTOH, babies are.

If there is no other live human being aboard, you are solo. Dogs are not live human beings. Neither are corpses. OTOH, babies are.

Does FAA actually draw that limit?

P.S. I've never logged solo time.

Does FAA actually draw that limit?
Not explicitly in a regulation, but if you ask them, that's what you'll hear, and it makes sense. They just want to make sure that you really do it all yourself. All joking aside, nobody can argue rationally that a dog can help, and I can see why they don't want to get into an argument over what age a child becomes a help rather than a hindrance.

P.S. I've never logged solo time.

61.109 for Pvt Pilot requires 10 hrs solo time, obvious if you are logging PIC as a Student, you are solo.

61.129 for Comm Pilot requires 10 hrs of SOLO time logged, completing certain events like a long cross country, and logged "areas of operation in 61.127(b)(1)".

Whether you log them in a column as "solo" or annotate in remarks as "solo for operations listed in 61.127(b)(1)", in either case, reference 61.127 in remarks for those hours to count.

Not explicitly in a regulation, but if you ask them, that's what you'll hear, and it makes sense. They just want to make sure that you really do it all yourself. All joking aside, nobody can argue rationally that a dog can help, and I can see why they don't want to get into an argument over what age a child becomes a help rather than a hindrance.

I see

61.109 for Pvt Pilot requires 10 hrs solo time, obvious if you are logging PIC as a Student, you are solo.

61.129 for Comm Pilot requires 10 hrs of SOLO time logged, completing certain events like a long cross country, and logged "areas of operation in 61.127(b)(1)".

Whether you log them in a column as "solo" or annotate in remarks as "solo for operations listed in 61.127(b)(1)", in either case, reference 61.127 in remarks for those hours to count.

I know that FAA ask for it, when I got my PPL my PIC hours were equivalent to solo hours (as you pointed out), so I never bothered to log solo time separately. My log book didn't even have a "solo" column. If in the future I will need to provide someone with my solo hours I will be able to to look though my logbook and calculate it, even though it would take quite a while.
Besides for the two reasons that you mentioned and personal curiosity I see no reason to log solo time.

I know the rule of "It's your logbook", but the for love of God, never log "Solo" and "MHC" on the same flight.

What about if you are flying in a drone that is being piloted by somebody on the ground?

Back