Solar gift help

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a portable solar panel for a friend for christmas. I've found a few that I like but they have some drawbacks.

This one looks nice but it's not compatable with the ipad. http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/12/Nomad-13-5-Solar-Panel/3:4/

This was another option but some of the reviews question its durability. http://www.amazon.com/Instapark-Por...&qid=1352918859&sr=8-4&keywords=solar+charger

Anyone have any ideas?
Is this for charging electronics on backwoods camping trips? That's about the only practical use for a solar charger like the ones you linked. Also keep in mind that manufacturer's claims WRT output (e.g. "10W") are often wildly optomistic. I'd recommend something with at least a 50W rating to charge an iPad. And yes, durability should be a concern. These devices are somewhat fragile and must be treated with care.

What Lance said - Try to find a way to try before you buy, plugging in what you intend to charge with it and see if it works. I was sorely disappointed by the solar panel I bought originally. After I changed what I plugged into it, I'm more satisfied, but it did not charge the device I originally intended for it to charge.

Having seen years ago how many square feet of panel it takes to operate very low power radio repeater/infrastructure sites on top of mountains with no electrical service, year-round... I always giggle at these little tiny things the manufacturers are selling to people to power personal electronics.

Usually they're about 1/10 the size you'd actually need to run that device truly "off the grid". An iPad would need a panel the size of the top of your average car to keep it in operation for most of the year, and that's if you live somewhere with sun more days than overcast.

These little backpack things or even goofier little batteries with a 3" x 4" panel, are just toys for the masses, most of which will end up in a trash can (or recycled if you're good people) when the rechargeable lithium-n battery packaged with them, wears out in a few years.

USFS and others buy some nice stuff for remote equipment sites... Those panels are huge. The battery plant to keep the gear running in the "bad" months is even bigger and definitely a maintenance headache, and the gear it all runs draws very little power.

Back