Soft Shell Crabs?

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
OK I admit that I've become a left-coast-weenie.

But I'm going to be flying in the right part of the country to take home to my Mom a cooler full of squiggling soft shells.

Is it still the right season?

Where is the best place to buy a cooler full?

I've got the next 3 weeks and all that stands in my way are the weather gods.

Joe

So your going to Maryland or Virgina.
Crisfield or Cambridge in maryland are good choices. If in the area The Philly area is a short flight from the Maryland area. Drop me a line.

So your going to Maryland or Virgina.
Crisfield or Cambridge in maryland are good choices. If in the area The Philly area is a short flight from the Maryland area. Drop me a line.

I was hoping for something like the Carolina's which is more on the way but I do have a sister and nephews in VA that would is currently planned on the outbound leg but could be inbound depending on weather.

If we have a stop near you I will get in touch.

Joe

I was hoping for something like the Carolina's which is more on the way but I do have a sister and nephews in VA that would is currently planned on the outbound leg but could be inbound depending on weather.

If we have a stop near you I will get in touch.

Joe

Joe if you come to NC you better stop by and say HI!!!!!!

Maybe even we could go flying if you did. That way I can show you what Dan taught me. :)

I love soft shells! I think each month or molting is when you can get them fresh but they do freeze well and I have seen them pretty much year round now.

May is the hot season according to my crabbing friend down in Urbanna, VA. He can hook you up with a captain -- if you're interested, I'll meet you down at FYJ and drive you to Dan's place -- we'll get some damn good barbecue, a few sodas, and all the crabs you can fill your cooler with.

Drop me a PM or reply to the thread. Who knows, maybe we can get a mini-flyin going!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thanks for the info. We get them frozen out here and they are pretty good.

We're starting the trip in a couple of hours with LA to Santa Fe with a fuel stop in St. Johns.

Joe

Watch for Joe's new book "Crabs on a Plane!" out next month. What to do when your airplane is overrun by soft shell crabs, with special tips on "Rudder control with a crab on each big toe", and "Crabbing for the landing" and "Slips or crabs? or is it "slipped ON a crab"?

softshells can't be alive. otherwise they would not be soft shell very long

softshells can't be alive. otherwise they would not be soft shell very long

Greg will have to change the name to Hardshell Crabs on a Plane.

We used to crab on little boats in the bays behind Wildwood Crest, NJ growing up and catch a few bushels of hardshells. We had the bushel tip over on occasion and crabs all over the bottom of the boat. That was interesting. Those suckers hurt when the pinch you with their claws.

softshells can't be alive.
Are you serious?
Soft shell crabs are most definitely alive. When the molt their old shells the new shell is still soft for a couple of days. Catch the crab at that point and eat them up shell and all. If you wait too long, the shell hardens and then you have to wait until they molt again.

Soft shell crabs are most definitely alive. When the molt their old shells the new shell is still soft for a couple of days. Catch the crab at that point and eat them up shell and all. If you wait too long, the shell hardens and then you have to wait until they molt again.

This is true. At Tangier Island you can go look at them in the tanks. They bring in the hardshells from the Chesapeake Bay then wait until the molt then harvest them.

Back