Soft Field Landings

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
In all my training the soft filed landing was something that you only got to practice on a paved strip. During my comercial training I got to do one real soft field when I had mentioned I had never done one for keeps. most rental FBO will not let you do soft fields in their air craft for 'insurance purposes'. But I am an owner now. The day before yesterday I flew over to a local field that only has grass strips and did some for real. What fun! Really got a feel for why you need to keep the nose up, not stop, and land really soft.

It is too bad that we don't normally get to practice those for real during primary training.

Scott

Scott,
If you take flying lessons at more traditional FBOs, you get to do real soft field landings very early. I'm from central Illinois, and I used to fly with Ted in KCTK (Canton-Ingersoll). About the third lesson, he says, "Looks like it's time to land on some grass..."
I totally agree with you, I think it would be very beneficial in primary training to do real soft field landings.
--Matt Rogers

The rogue said:
Scott,
If you take flying lessons at more traditional FBOs, you get to do real soft field landings very early. I'm from central Illinois, and I used to fly with Ted in KCTK (Canton-Ingersoll). About the third lesson, he says, "Looks like it's time to land on some grass..."
I totally agree with you, I think it would be very beneficial in primary training to do real soft field landings.
--Matt Rogers
Hi Matt. One of us oughta tip off MSgt Ted Lambasio to find this site. Glad you did, too.

Time to go to Yates City again!

"Ahhh, Canton...." No better place to learn to land on grass than Canton or Yates City International!
--Matt

smigaldi said:
In all my training the soft filed landing was something that you only got to practice on a paved strip. During my comercial training I got to do one real soft field when I had mentioned I had never done one for keeps. most rental FBO will not let you do soft fields in their air craft for 'insurance purposes'. But I am an owner now. The day before yesterday I flew over to a local field that only has grass strips and did some for real. What fun! Really got a feel for why you need to keep the nose up, not stop, and land really soft.

It is too bad that we don't normally get to practice those for real during primary training.

Scott

There's a great catfish joint on the Oklahoma side of the Red River that has a grass strip, and there's a nice marina at Lake Texoma that also has a grass strip--wife and I love going up there for lunch or dinner. Kinda makes you feel like a bush pilot. :)

-JD

CowboyPilot said:
There's a great catfish joint on the Oklahoma side of the Red River that has a grass strip, and there's a nice marina at Lake Texoma that also has a grass strip--wife and I love going up there for lunch or dinner. Kinda makes you feel like a bush pilot. :)

-JD

So here's my question then. Having never landed at anything other than paved strips, are all grass fields considered soft?

I did a real "soft" field yesterday - landed at a long grass strip next to a barn! this was after an almost 50 mile flight.. and then we went to a short field (1800 feet, and really narrow) and I got a real short field in too!

I have some grass stalks as souvenirs now.

NickDBrennan said:
So here's my question then. Having never landed at anything other than paved strips, are all grass fields considered soft?

Only after it rains. The biggest issue with many grass fields is how rough they are and soft field techniques (landing at lowest possible speed, keeping the nosewheel off as long as possible) address that as well. In a true soft field landing the decel after touch down is dramatic and a lot of power is necessary to taxi even though the gear is down.

NickDBrennan said:
You treat 'em like they're soft unless/until you prove otherwise.

Back