SODA Ride

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
Hello folks.

I have to take a medical checkride before I can get my medical and solo. I have a few questions about it.

• I'd think that once I have my medical, it will be good for any category of aircraft. For instance, if I take the medical checkride in an airplane and get my medical, I'd be able to receive training in a helicopter and solo without having to do another medical checkride. Is this correct?
  • If I get a third-class medical and want to upgrade to a second-class medical, would I need to take another medical checkride or would my SODA still apply?
  • I have a blind spot in one eye. I maintain good peripheral vision in that eye, and with both eyes open I have 20/20 vision and don't see the blind spot. My depth perception does suffer, though. The opinions I've received over the years have typically been that I shouldn't have an issue receiving a second- and possibly first-class medical. Do y'all agree/disagree?
I might think of some other things, but for now those are my main concerns. I'm very excited to get started flying (December or January) and hope to make flying a career some day.

Thanks!

Last edited:
well, i'm not the man to ask, but my guess would be that if you get your SODA for a 3rd class, you would have to do a different soda for a higher class medical.

i'd guess the same for a helicopter etc...

but then again... i'm not the right person to ask... so what do i know?

Good guess, Jounin. The class of medical that you hold when you go for your ride ("First Class, Valid for student purposes only") determines the type of waiver you get- limited by class.

That's because when you are referred to the FSDO for the ride by CAMI (medical), they send the unrestricted medical certificate to the FSDO where you take the ride. If you pass, they give the certificate to you.

The ride is slightly different, and tougher for higher classes of waiver.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm more confused now than before. Bruce, you say "the class of medical that you hold when you go for your ride..." My understanding was that you don't hold any medical at all and can't solo until you pass your medical checkride.

I've read that you only have to do the medical checkride once. If that's true, should I go ahead and try to get a second class medical? I plan on flying professionally. If I got the second class, and let it lapse to a third class, would my waiver still be good for second class when I get my commercial certificate and go back to the second class?

I'm in great health. Besides the condition that this waiver will require, I shouldn't have any problems getting a medical of any class.

Thanks for the help.

Not to be flippant, but funny story:

I was getting my first medical a few months back and the doc was chatting with me about my workout routine and such, then asked, "Do you have a soda?"

I was perplexed for a moment and then responded, "I have a can of mountain dew in the car." :goofy:

He then explained what he meant, and I couldn't help but laugh and responded negative.

I'm still a little bit in the dark about this, if anyone knowledgeable on the subject would like to chime in.

Should I go ahead and do the second-class medical since I plan on being a professional pilot eventually?

If I get the SODA and earn my medical, would I have to do it again for a different category of aircraft?

If the SODA is the only health issue you've got, I'd say go ahead and get a second-class - it will be valid the same length of time as a third class anyway.

If the SODA is the only health issue you've got, I'd say go ahead and get a second-class - it will be valid the same length of time as a third class anyway.
but the 2nd class reverts to 3rd class after 1 yr. so... yea...

but yes if i were you i'd go with the 2nd class, just to make sure you can actually qualify for it.

Bruce, I got a third class SODA for my color vision way back in '94. What is involved in getting a second class SODA for color vision, and are there other options for me to get the color vision restriction removed from my medical.

I do realize that the SODA ride is a one time only deal, and if I fail it I am pretty much hosed.

Should I go ahead and do the second-class medical since I plan on being a professional pilot eventually?
Yes -- if you're going to have a problem with the Second Class, you want to know sooner rather than later.

If I get the SODA and earn my medical, would I have to do it again for a different category of aircraft?
It depends on whether the deficiency would affect flying the other category of aircraft. Let's say you're doing airplanes now and helos later. If it's for having no color vision, then no. If it's for having no arms, then yes. In between? :dunno:

and are there other options for me to get the color vision restriction removed from my medical.

Yes you can do an alternate test with an optometrist and get a letter giving you immunity to the color vision test for life. Very good option for professional pilots as SODA's are often poo-poohed.

Alright, I'll try for a second class. That makes sense to me.

So I realize now why I've been a little confused. I've been told two different things.

1.) Some people have told me that I won't be able to get any medical at all until I pass a medical checkride, which means I'd have to take the checkride before I can even solo.

2.) The other is that I will be able to get a medical, but it will be restricted to being a student pilot. I assume with something like that, I can go ahead and solo. I just would have to take the medical checkride (and get an unrestricted medical) before I can take my final checkride. Am I correct?

If so, is there any way to know ahead of time if it will be #1 or #2?

Last edited:
I'm baffled - what's a "medical checkride"?
Technically, it's a "special medical flight test," the purpose of which is "to determine if an applicant is eligible for a medical certificate and/or Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA), or Letter of Evidence (LOE) based on the appropriate test. Successful completion of specified tasks may result in the issuance of a medical certificate and/or a SODA, or LOE." These are done when the applicant doesn't meet the standards for issuance of a medical certificate, but wants to show that s/he can still perform all the necessary tasks for a certificate or rating satisfactorily despite the medical deficiency. For the full story, see http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v05 airman cert/chapter 08/05_008_001rev1.htm.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm more confused now than before. Bruce, you say "the class of medical that you hold when you go for your ride..." My understanding was that you don't hold any medical at all and can't solo until you pass your medical checkride.

I've read that you only have to do the medical checkride once. If that's true, should I go ahead and try to get a second class medical? I plan on flying professionally. If I got the second class, and let it lapse to a third class, would my waiver still be good for second class when I get my commercial certificate and go back to the second class?

I'm in great health. Besides the condition that this waiver will require, I shouldn't have any problems getting a medical of any class.

Thanks for the help.

Depends I guess from what Bruce said and what kind of "Professional" flying you want to do. If a Second class is all that you will need in your occupation, get that, but if you are looking at ATP type stuff, then go ahead and get your First Class. From my understanding of what Bruce wrote, if you take it as First, you'll do one in your life, however if you do it as lower, you'll have to do it again for each upgrade in status ie III to II and II to I.

Brandon, you will hold a First Class medical cert. endorsed, "valid for student purposes only". You can solo on it.

Prior to your checkride, you'll go to the FSDO for a medical checkride. They will be equipped with a Medical Certificate that says, First Class medical certificate (no restrictions). If you succeed, they will give that to you same day, at the FSDO.

Depends I guess from what Bruce said and what kind of "Professional" flying you want to do. If a Second class is all that you will need in your occupation, get that, but if you are looking at ATP type stuff, then go ahead and get your First Class. From my understanding of what Bruce wrote, if you take it as First, you'll do one in your life, however if you do it as lower, you'll have to do it again for each upgrade in status ie III to II and II to I.

Yea. I'll try for either a first or second class. I need to look at the some of the flying jobs I'd like to end up with some day, and see what they require.

Brandon, you will hold a First Class medical cert. endorsed, "valid for student purposes only". You can solo on it.

Prior to your checkride, you'll go to the FSDO for a medical checkride. They will be equipped with a Medical Certificate that says, First Class medical certificate (no restrictions). If you succeed, they will give that to you same day, at the FSDO.

Thanks Bruce! I'm glad to hear I'll be able to solo on it. It'll be much easier to get through the training that way than the way the process had been described to me previously. I appreciate the help.

HI

I am blind out of my left eye with 20/30 vision (corrected) in my right eye. I just received my third class medical with student restrictions. I have no flight time logged.. Being that I am half blind, many people seem skeptical that I will be able to fulfill my dream of becoming a career pilot. From my research & reading.. What I understand so-far is that if I wish to further consideration for certification without the limitation of modifications noted.. the FAA will send written authorization to my local Flight Standards office to conduct a "medical flight test" to determine adequate compensation on my part, due to my lack of vision in my left eye. This test can be completed either prior or together with my check ride; and is a one shot deal.. (meaning its results remains valid through all medical classes?)

After I take & PASS the Medical flight test I will be granted what opportunities?, Will I be able to achieve my First class medical with my vision issue now cleared?, Will i be granted a SODA or LOE?, Will i have FEW or MANY doors closed in respect of possible career placement?, In what careers or fields will i specifically be excluded from with a SODA or LOE?

Sorry to bombard everyone with so many questions.. excuse my ignorance.

For a First class or a second class, vision in the remaining eye has to be 20/20 at twenty feet. If 20/30 is all you can get out of the useable eye, I wouldn't plan on a professional career. Sorry to be so blunt.

I'm confused now. What's the difference between LOE and SODA? Which one is the one time deal good for life?

Here's some background. I have 20/20 (corrected) in right eye and 20/40 (corrected) left. My left eye is amblyopic (aka "lazy") so non correctable. I already have 3rd class with "corrective lenses" restriction on it.

Currently I'm preparing for CPL+ME checkride. So I only need the 2nd class for now but will need 1st class later.

What's the best strategy in my case?

I'm confused now. What's the difference between LOE and SODA? Which one is the one time deal good for life?
The SODA.
Here's some background. I have 20/20 (corrected) in right eye and 20/40 (corrected) left. My left eye is amblyopic (aka "lazy") so non correctable. I already have 3rd class with "corrective lenses" restriction on it.

Currently I'm preparing for CPL+ME checkride. So I only need the 2nd class for now but will need 1st class later.

What's the best strategy in my case?
Get a first class medical limited to "valid for student purposes only". Time this during a period before you invest in career- and notify CAMI (civil Aeromedical by letter) thereafter that you want the monocular vision ride at the FSDO.

Make Totally SURE you have a totally legal plane, go there for the 0.4 ride and then you get handed an unlimited First, and the waiver. It's forever, so long as the opposite eye makes standards (20/20 at 20 feet, 32" and 16").

The exchange for the permanence of this is about six weeks of having a "limbo" medical certificate. Of course you can go back at any time and get issued an unrestricted Second Class cert.

Did the SODA ride back in 2002 or 2003 for a very similar reason. With the excellent advice and encouragement of Dr. Bruce, I aced the test. And, it was also a nice "dress rehearsal" for the private checkride which came shortly thereafter!

Realize this: the SODA ride is NOT a checkride. There is a very specific checklist the inspector will use, with a focus. My inspector was a good man, and very understanding. He told me exactly what to expect, and that if I couldn't do what he needed me to do, that it wouldn't work. I was able to do what he asked, and I passed.

Dr Bruce,

Thank you for clarifying this! Am I right in understanding that my first step is to go to any 1st class AME and they will be able to issue 1st class limited to "student purposes" even with my 20/40?

Will the issuance of a limited 1st class invalidate my current 3rd class? (Otherwise will I be able to fly as a private pilot during this time?)

Currently I'm preparing for CPL+ME checkride. So I only need the 2nd class for now ...
Not unless you're planning to work as a pilot immediately after earning your CP. You may be thinking of the way it was before 1997, since when you only need a Third Class to take a CP-Airplane practical test (either initial or additional rating). See 61.39(a)(4).

Get your COM ASEL and then go for the First, limited.
You're not supposed to have two medical certificates, but if you end up in possession of two....well.....then you can have six weeks of PIC. If you don't end up in possession of two.....then you just hire a CFI for six weeks.

Unfortunately most DPEs will want you to be PIC for the checkride. You CAN ask the DPE in advance, though....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back