Socked in (not a Christmas stocking <g>)

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Was supposed to go to Florida; then, South Carolina for Christmas; tried to get out today.

This massive weather system coming from our west lowed the ceilings to 200 feet and vis at 5/8 mile. Just didn't want to launch into that and have the possibility of something going wrong; then, having a real challenge returning to the field (or anywhere reasonably nearby).

Oh, well. May get to launch Thursday and fly right back into the system that is currently passing <g>

With all the modern methods of communication, Mother Nature could have let me know the ceilings and vis would get bad a couple hours ahead. Hey! I'm on the net and have a mobile phone with text messaging!!

Best,

Dave

Dave, always nice to have my "wuss" flight launch rules validated by a more-experienced pilot. Just because you *can*, does not mean you should.

For some reason, I think about what could happen if everything didn't go perfectly Spike. Couple mountain climbers from here had another perspective and it didn't pay off.

So, it's low IFR all the way from here to Mississ---you know the rest. Any approach between here and there would be near minimums. Close temp and dew point spreads all along the route. If I have to hole up somewhere, this huge system is on the way right behind me.

And, I'm going to see family: you know, to eat too much, and have fun. I'm supposed to be chilling, bringing presents and acting like a skinny Santa, not acting like a FLIB!!

Best,

Dave

Bummer, Dave. You'd really think Mother Nature would be more considerate. After all, it is Christmas.

Hope you're able to get out Thursday!

Kaye

Thanks Kaye and Brooke!

Headed to Orlando first to drop off my son and see Mom. About 4 hours in the air with a pit stop on the way at Gulf Port. From Orlando to Greenville is just over 2 hours.

The problem Thursday is the frontal system will have passed Dallas and moved east. That's where I'm going; so, I'd be flying right into the back of the front (hey that sounds kinna funny doesn't it?). But, that's what I'd be doing! Actually, into the back of the front, through it's middle and out the front of the front--hey, I'm getting confused.

Best,

Dave

Thank you for calling the Pilot's ADM Hotline.
For empathy, push 1
For sympathy, push 2
For problem resolution, all operators are busy, please stay on the line. Current wait is ......[click]......

Thanks Kaye and Brooke!

Headed to Orlando first to drop off my son and see Mom. About 4 hours in the air with a pit stop on the way at Gulf Port. From Orlando to Greenville is just over 2 hours.

The problem Thursday is the frontal system will have passed Dallas and moved east. That's where I'm going; so, I'd be flying right into the back of the front (hey that sounds kinna funny doesn't it?). But, that's what I'd be doing! Actually, into the back of the front, through it's middle and out the front of the front--hey, I'm getting confused.

Best,

Dave

Hey Dave, I'm headed to Venice (100 WSW of MCO) on Saturday. I suppose you'll want to head for NC as soon as you can, but if you're not in a hurry, we could get together Sat. eve. or later.

Hey Dave, I'm headed to Venice (100 WSW of MCO) on Saturday. I suppose you'll want to head for NC as soon as you can, but if you're not in a hurry, we could get together Sat. eve. or later.

I'm probably headed up to S. Carolina Saturday morning, but who know. Don't want to get too close to Christmas before I head up to my Daughter's but I may still be there. I'll try to contact you when things get sorted out or call my cell and leave me a message.

If I don't catch you this trip, I'll have to go back to pick up my Son and bring him home from Orlando after New Years.

Best,

Dave

Mmmm... I feel like I'm in a similar boat. Wanna get down to Jacksonville. Gotta see if I can beat this thing out on Wednesday before it gets here, but the forecast is for the High to move up so we get a direct easterly wind. The minute that happens, the moisture moves in and the ceilings go down. Blech!

-Rich

I'm probably headed up to S. Carolina Saturday morning, but who know. Don't want to get too close to Christmas before I head up to my Daughter's but I may still be there. I'll try to contact you when things get sorted out or call my cell and leave me a message.

If I don't catch you this trip, I'll have to go back to pick up my Son and bring him home from Orlando after New Years.

I figured you'd be in NC till Jan 1. That's the day I should be headed back to MN unless wx prevents it.

Hey, Dave, if you're hanging out in NC next week, maybe we can get together for some of that lunch stuff.

Kaye

I'd love to see you Kaye. Actually, I'll be in Greenville, SC at Donaldson, but that's pretty close to N.C. Once I get over that-a-way, let's touch base!

Best,

Dave

I figured you'd be in NC till Jan 1. That's the day I should be headed back to MN unless wx prevents it.

The base plane was to be in Greenville, SC for Christmas with family. Some time later that week, I was going to fly back to Dallas. Then, Jan. 2, I was going back to pick up Son and dog in Winterhaven.

We are at change 12 now :yes: So, who knows!! I'd love to link up if we're anywhere near each other.

Best,

Dave

Mmmm... I feel like I'm in a similar boat. Wanna get down to Jacksonville. Gotta see if I can beat this thing out on Wednesday before it gets here, but the forecast is for the High to move up so we get a direct easterly wind. The minute that happens, the moisture moves in and the ceilings go down. Blech!

-Rich

Well Rich; I hope you get outta there. This is a pretty large systems coming your way. Not large convective stuff, but a lot of rain, fog and some build ups. We've got a bunch of icing just north of me and it's moving this-a-way.

Best,

Dave

I hope you make it too, Dave.

As I was prepping the plane, a guy taxied in with a Meridian. He had come in from Dallas. I asked if the goo was as bad as the Weather Channel was making it out to be this morning and he said nope. He got no ice and enjoyed the ride at FL270.

Today's flight was a great use of an IFR ticket. Widely SCT-BKN clouds at 2500 all over mid- and south-Georgia, but only high cirrus when I left LZU at 12:30. Soon after that, I was well above at 7000' for the whole trip. It's funny; even with all of those clouds, they were so scattered, I never actually poked through any! Even on the descent into the Jacksonville area. Definitely less than VFR cloud clearance, though.

All in all, I much prefer the 2:30 plane trip vs. 6:30 car ordeal! :yes:

-Rich

Attachments

• 12202006(002).jpg
    12202006(002).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 7
I was able to lauch today; flew north of the shortest route. Shreveport; Jackson; Montgomery; Seminole and down to Bartow to drop off my son. Just west of Montgomery, the NEXRAD showed yellow and some red right where I flew at FL210. On board radar showed nothing except below.

As I neared the area, I asked Memphis if I needed to divert north. He asked a King Air that had just flown through from the other direction what conditions were like. At FL200 they got light rime but had no problem.

I flew through with out any thing happening except being IMC. No rain, bumps or ice.

I LOVE my P-Baron. It was all I could do to keep quiet about the King Air flying under me :goofy:

Best,

Dave

Back