Social Anxiety

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I know I am opening myself up to criticism here, but I have been looking around this site and I feel like most of you here are more helpful than judgmental, so I will take the chance. I also really like that I can ask my question here before signing up, so thank you for your help ahead of time.

My Story:
A few years ago I graduated from college and got a job in an excellent start-up company doing research and development. The culture was great and the work was exciting. Despite this I had a really hard time connecting with my coworkers and it was beginning to interfere with my career. I went to talk to a psychiatrist and he told me that he believed I had social anxiety or social phobia and wanted to treat me with a combination of medication and therapy. For a few years I was taking Adderall and learning that the rejection I feared was not realistic. The adderall made me talkative and made me want to connect with people. So I put myself out there and no one made fun of me or killed me and slowly we ramped down my dose, and I have not needed it for quite some time.

My Question:
Does my previous use of adderall disqualify me from flying?

Just to clarify, I have never had any issues with attention of hyperactivity, and I would say that I am cured of my social anxiety. Thanks again for your thoughts.

... The adderall made me talkative and made me want to connect with people. .....

I'm sure the doc will be along shortly to answer your question

But, doesn't beer do the same thing?

I dont know if your shrink makes a commission, but couldn't you have had the same result if your shrink told you to go out to a busy bar and have a few??

Seems like we like over medicating in this country

Get with Dr. Bruce Chien off forum for direct help and guidance on what to do and obtain.

If you find a past post fom him, the email link in his signature works. His website is www.aeromedicaldoc.com

If you contract with him (aka pay his fee), that might be the right action since he can not only guide you, but by being the AME of record, he might be able to get your submission moving a long a bit faster than a "general" AME who is not as familiar with situations like yours.

Best of luck to you!!

The past use of Adderall will not disqualify you in and of itself, but the diagnosis which led to its prescription might. You need to talk with Bruce Chien to understand all the ramifications and how to deal with them.

Your past is invisible to them so long as you don't make it visible. Or just go LSA.
Crazy a__ bad advice. Your prescriptions are in both the Epic and McKesson databases and have been shorn of protection in the Affordable Healthcare act of 2012. It's easily findable to a subscription holder....like the FAA.

Having the prescription record gives you that diagnosis and it IS on record. None of the diagnoses that are possible "pass with time".

You need to email me off line. If you have a convincing, nondefensive doc who isn't afraid to say he was wrong, you can be certified in 60 days after DOCUMENTED discontinuation.

But if he isn't co-operative, think Neuropsych profile, negative forensic urine after 60 days.....and these are never insureable. Think $4,000 and there are no guarantees as to outcome.

If you don't report this, the FIRST time you have a "deal" or an "incident", the investigation will uncover your omission and you will be shorn of your PILOT certificate as well as your medical.

"....just the facts, ma'am...."

Last edited:
Dr. Chien;
I am so glad you are on this board. Your answers and advice are succinct and understandable while usually pointing our financial costs.

Thanks for your dedicated service.

I think I need to make this part of my sig. file.

Your past is invisible to them so long as you don't make it visible. Or just go LSA.
Crazy a__ bad advice. Your prescriptions are in both the Epic and McKesson databases and have been shorn of protection in the Affordable Healthcare act of 2012. It's easily findable to a subscription holder....like the FAA.

Having the prescription record gives you that diagnosis and it IS on record. None of the diagnoses that are possible "pass with time".

. . .

If you don't report this, the FIRST time you have a "deal" or an "incident", the investigation will uncover your omission and you will be shorn of your PILOT certificate as well as your medical.

"....just the facts, ma'am...."

ETA: Nominate for sticky, too.

Hmm. How did I miss that McKesson is behind "the tapes"? Should have known. That place is awash in money.

Keeps quite a few sysadmins employed around here, and is an enormous target for a huge personal data leak.

Despite this I had a really hard time connecting with my coworkers and it was beginning to interfere with my career. I went to talk to a psychiatrist and he told me that he believed I had social anxiety or social phobia and wanted to treat me with a combination of medication and therapy.
I believe our culture has been suckered into believing that psychobable practicioners are actually medical profesionals. These aren't diseases, you couldn't have been cured of anything. It's sad. You were the victim of a society sponsored con as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately the standards in our culture lies somewhere between what's on TV (and commercials) and kooks that believe all powerful supernatural creatures live in the sky to work hand in hand with earthly politicians and spiritual entertainers to provide us all moral leadership and help us decide what to do with discretionary cash.

We have debates on TV to see what version of this fake stuff our presidential candidates believe to judge them for office.

You get medical treatment for unexpected behavior. So sad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back