SoCal Destinations for New Pilot

Ok finally gonna check this one off the list. One dumb question though, where is Flo's and where do you park the plane? I've only ever gone to Planes of fame, and that airport just seems like a maze of hangars.

Whenever you are on an airport and have a non movement question, it is perfectly appropriate to tune into UNICOM and ask there, that is part of its design intent.

Ended up just telling the ground controller that we wanted to eat at Flo's and asked where to park. They were really friendly and gave me progressive taxi instructions to the nearest transient parking, then pointed out where to find the restaurant. Delicious food. I did get a good laugh out of one of the ads on the table though. Seemed slightly out of place for right before a meal, lol.

11086_10205464988694293_6202369137651328237_n.jpg

Ended up just telling the ground controller that we wanted to eat at Flo's and asked where to park. They were really friendly and gave me progressive taxi instructions to the nearest transient parking, then pointed out where to find the restaurant. Delicious food. I did get a good laugh out of one of the ads on the table though. Seemed slightly out of place for right before a meal, lol.

11086_10205464988694293_6202369137651328237_n.jpg

Hahahah I sat at a table there that had the same ad! Damn near spit my coffee all over the table. My friends and I were rolling.

We should plan a trip up to KCNO for a meal at Flo's! Then check out the museum.

-Brian

I still haven't been over to Yanks yet. Would like to check out the other airport museum for sure.

Haven't read the entire thread yet, but if you're scared of the LAX transitions, don't be. All you do is track two radials. Be thankful that they're published so you can study and review till your heart's content.

If you want to land at SMO, the mini-route might be better, it's at 2500ft whereas the Coastal Route is going to have you at 6500, with few opportunities to descend until you're clear of the Bravo, north of SMO.

Never flown in the area (started out in Norcal, now in NJ) but it's on my list for this year. Hoping to take the Lancair coast to coast and visit a bunch o' fields in Socal.

Anyone flown to the Salton Sea? The abandoned towns there look pretty interesting, if not eerie.

Personally I prefer to just use the SFRA to cross LAX. No need to talk to anybody or get a clearance and navigation is simple. Going to Santa Monica I'll usually call SMO tower once I'm clear of the bravo and ask to cross midfield and do a left descending 270 to join downwind. On departure ask for a right climbing 270 at the coast. It's simple as can be, and if you let the tower know your intentions they are very accommodating. They see this procedure all day long, so it's nothing unusual for them. I live in San Diego and find LAX to be far less intimidating than the mix of SAN, Miramar, and North Island airspaces.

I haven't ever flown to Salton Sea but I've spent a lot of time off-roading in the area. There's a ton to explore in that area. Dunno how accessible it is from the airports in the area though.

Anyone flown to the Salton Sea? The abandoned towns there look pretty interesting, if not eerie.

I've been re-reading the thread as I'm getting some more hours in and trying to add some X/C time to my logs.

I did my solo X/C to Thermal and Imperial which are at opposite ends of the Salton Sea. It's pretty cool and definitely worth flying around. It's amazing how quickly SoCal transitions from mountainous to flat desert lands.

Don't know if Cable has been mentioned yet. Great public use privately owned airport. Good chow. Losa airplanes to look at. The time I did it I was with approach for traffic advisories. They handed me off to Ontario Tower who told me remain north or south of something, don't remember. Then they teriminated me. Over to CTAF and land. You can get without talkin to ATC which I did but I think you can get Charlie transition coordinated before you depart

Back