SoCal Destinations for New Pilot

Timmer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Timmer
Hello,

I just received my PP! I fly out of San Diego (MYF) and am looking to slowly-but-surely expand my cross-country destinations. During my training I flew to Hemet, Imperial, and Thermal airports.

I am thinking for my first set of flights, I'll work my way north and brave the LAX area. I am thinking of Chino for my first flight up that way as that dips into Charlies around SNA but nothing too crazy, besides having a well-reviewed restaurant and museum on the field.

I thought I'd ask to see if there are any airports that people recommend or recommend to avoid plus any other insight for a new pilot traveling in and through LAX and to the east, also.

Thank you!

Chino's a good place to start, and then, when you're feeling more ambitious, you can try the Coastal Route (depicted on the LA TAC) and land at Santa Monica. I've never landed at KSMO and would like to.

Long Beach is a cool airport. I took a commercial flight out of there last year and it was like going back to the 1950's.

I got my PPL at KMYF too... in 1985!

Have fun! I miss flying in CA.

Congrats on the PPL!

Chino is a good place to start. Two big museums and an airport cafe.

Palm Springs has a museum you can walk to as well. Big Bear is a good flight too. Just be prepared for high density altitude ops and you'll be fine.

Also, now that you can fly yourself, if you ever want to go to Disneyland, just fly into Fullerton and catch a cab.

Thank you all for the tips so far. Catalina is a must as is Big Bear. I am going to take a mountain flying six flight lesson shortly which ends with a Big Bear flight.

Also, now that you can fly yourself, if you ever want to go to Disneyland, just fly into Fullerton and catch a cab.

OK, this I will have to do sometime :)

@colojo -- '85? I was at MYF around then, too, although I may have been a bit tinnier ;)

Last I heard Santa Monica had $40 landing fee....
What's there anyway?

Brackett has a nice resturant, and pick the right sunday there may be some antique airplanes on display.

Big Bear, best not in hot summer for DA performance unless you take an experienced CFI along to learn DA.

Santa Paula, first Sunday, everyone opens their hangars.

Congratulations!! Camarillo (KCMA) has the best breakfast/lunch restaurant in SoCal. As someone has previously mentioned, Catalina is a great destination. Get the buffalo tacos or a burger and take a hike around the island/airport! Santa Barbara is another, go to Atlantic and take the crew bikes around town. [I rode them once into downtown Santa Barbara... 10 miles each way, 'twas fun but if that is where you want to go I recommend a crew car.] Mojave Spaceport is fun too.

Camarillo is nice as is San Luis Obispo. LAX is easy to cross with the special VFR corridor. I have flown from Camarillo to MYF and back several times, it's a really nice flight over the coastline.

Last I heard Santa Monica had $40 landing fee....
What's there anyway?

More like $10.96 for a Cessna 172 (it's weight based, so landing your G-IV will set you back over $300). But, fuel at the self-serve pump is around the cheapest in the L.A. basin (currently $5.69), so if you fuel up you might end ahead of the game, even with the landing fee. Anyway, please don't let the landing fee deter you. That's exactly what the folks trying to close the airport (who strongly pushed for the landing fee increase) want.

What's here? Good restaurants, a nice aviation museum, the beach, Third Street Promenade, etc. It's also the closest airport there is to Westside Los Angeles, Malibu, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Hollywood, etc. Whether that's interesting to you is your call.

The landing fee worked, I have not landed there since the fee was increased. It is a nice airport and city but I won't pay a fee for a public airport.

Thank you for the congratulations! This is such an amazing experience.

@Meliss @ KCMA: You've convinced me of Camarillo after Chino. It looks like you go up the coast towards SNA on FF and then the Coastal Route through LAX Bravo towards Van Nuys, hanging a left at the 101 to Camarillo?

Any tips on the details? Do you tell the controllers when you get FF of your intentions of that route or explain to them you'll want that route when you're around SNA?

More like $10.96 for a Cessna 172 (it's weight based, so landing your G-IV will set you back over $300).

Not bad, I'll definitely keep that on my list. There are no shortage of airports to fly to around here; it's just that LAX area seems so daunting right now, which is why I want to push through it relatively soon so I don't let it become a wall.

You would fly the coast, basically over the Queen Mary, direct to the VFR corridor, over Santa Monica then to the Grade, 10 miles to the west and you find KCMA. I usually get asked some place near the power station "what are your intentions on crossing Brovo", just say the special VFR corridor, that easy.

Last edited:
Another vote for Camarillo - very good airport cafe. Most people have given the good ones, so let me try to say which ones are not so good or pleasant.

KLGB are very busy and sticklers on the radio. Not very friendly. They will require you to read back verbatim what they tell you and are not shy to point any mistakes out. Also, they will assume good knowledge of all quirky procedures and get ****y about it when you don't.

KWHP, Whiteman airport north of Burbank also has a very grumpy controller. He's been there for many years. I always get chewed out for even the most minor thing whenever I go in there. Takes the fun out of it.

In both these cases the controllers enforce local procedures that are not air law or possible to know if you haven't flown there a lot. They just assume you should know this by osmosis.

Torrance or LGB to pick me up, then up to MHV (Mojave) to tour the airplane graveyard :)

I got the Long Beach lecture on some obscure non-published local procedure. . . . so I asked for the phone number on freq. Called as soon as I landed and buttoned up and asked to speak to the tower supervisor - and I asked a few questions about where their special procedures are available for a pilot to note their special procedures. . . .

A quick pause and then the supe apologized for the attitude of his staff, told me they always assume with all the flight training that the local CFI's have told people their procedures, that a transient pilot has no way of finding out in advance [except for these internet forums] and they will make a better effort to understand the distinction. . . .

I then called an flying buddy who is a supervisor at the Tracon and got the number of the local FAA tower management staff and called him up too . . . I'm not gonna put with this double secret crap any longer. If you have a local procedure, publish it. He agreed with me. said he'd bring it up at their next SoCal tower supe meetings.

I tend to think of myself as a fairly decent aviator - looking up new airports I fly into via AF/D and other official sources - sometimes even online at the Red and Blue boards - so if you want me to know something - tell me.

Last edited:
Camarillo - on Wed, Sat or Sun - get the tri-tip - skip the menu entirely. Bring some home -

POC has a good cafe - as does Cable [KCCB ] a few miles away. . . .

Prob too close but CRQ also has a good airport restaurant.

Then French Valley [F70] in Temecula - decent airport cafe -

Redlands and its crazy sloped runway has the Hangar 24 brew pub - bring some beer home that you can only get there.

Gotta go over one of the passes to Mojave - try to do it during the week and you could be sitting next to Bert Rutan at the lunch counter or have him admiring your Comanche while you are doing your pre-flight and have a nice chat about flying . ..

Then a little farther afield is Santa Barbara - park at Atlantic Aviation and walk to the Beach Cafe . . yep - right on the beach. Bring your Dog since that is a state beach and dogs are allowed on state beaches.

Then for your first big cross country / vacay hit Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo . . .

Torrance or LGB to pick me up, then up to MHV (Mojave) to tour the airplane graveyard :)

Hah, of course! Probably won't be for a little bit as I have a few flights to make before I start taking passengers, but this sounds like a plan.

@comanchepilot @stratobee : thanks for the information!

@Luvrv8: Sounds easy! Do you prefer the corridor instead of the other transitions for any specific reasons? I assume just not having to time it with ATC?

I think for Father's Day I'll fly to CNO with my Dad for breakfast and a look at the museum on the field. So many great places to explore ... and, truly, the journey is the fun :)

Another vote for Camarillo - very good airport cafe. Most people have given the good ones, so let me try to say which ones are not so good or pleasant.

KLGB are very busy and sticklers on the radio. Not very friendly. They will require you to read back verbatim what they tell you and are not shy to point any mistakes out. Also, they will assume good knowledge of all quirky procedures and get ****y about it when you don't.

KWHP, Whiteman airport north of Burbank also has a very grumpy controller. He's been there for many years. I always get chewed out for even the most minor thing whenever I go in there. Takes the fun out of it.

In both these cases the controllers enforce local procedures that are not air law or possible to know if you haven't flown there a lot. They just assume you should know this by osmosis.
That LGB is that way is a good thing for ATC isn't shy about providing local knowledge (even if you object to the method) and it gives opportunity to the pilot to improve their communication skills.

Brackett KPOC has a grumpy controller too. Don't let them ruin it for you. You an always remind them that they are down there because you are up there. Assert PIC.

Last edited:
it's just that LAX area seems so daunting right now, which is why I want to push through it relatively soon so I don't let it become a wall.

Don't let it be a wall...LAX has several published VFR routes at different altitudes depending on your flight plan...learn them and USE them! I am a new pilot and was pretty nervous first time through LAX. I am in Nor Cal and transition through LAX airspace now several times a month and hands down prefer transitioning THROUGH the LAX Bravo when I can. Last week for the first time I dodged around LAX due to weather creeping in the coast and holy cow...the ATC hand offs, traffic, and routing was more than I was expecting!...so if you need me, I'll be INSIDE the LAX Bravo next time!

Some have cautioned about being denied clearance...but I have been through during some intensely crazy times and have never been denied or heard a denial. Key is to be on FF from departure (not show up on their door step), approach the LAX Bravo airspace AT the altitude of you transition, and study and KNOW the entire routing all the way into and out of the blue lines! Last thing you want to do is ask ATC where to go. Foreflight makes it a breeze when you save the routes as favorites! I have ALL the routes and notes saved so I can call them up if I need to punt at the last minute.

Is Tower Todd still working LGB? That guy was a piece of work. He was the only one I ever really had a problem with.

Is Tower Todd still working LGB? That guy was a piece of work. He was the only one I ever really had a problem with.

No, he retired. The tower is considerably more helpful and friendly now.

No, he retired. The tower is considerably more helpful and friendly now.

Good to know. I've only flown around there once, on my night dual-cross/country to SNA. I don't remember much about that trip other than how pleasant and peaceful the en-route portion was and how insanely stressful the arrival and landing was, not even being able to spot the airport until on downwind! :D

Not bad, I'll definitely keep that on my list. There are no shortage of airports to fly to around here; it's just that LAX area seems so daunting right now, which is why I want to push through it relatively soon so I don't let it become a wall.

I live up in the area. If you want to meet up sometime I'd be glad to fly along with you through the LAX special flight rules area for your first time around. It's a really simple procedure that only requires air-to-air com where you will essentially fly directly over the midpoint of the runways. I'm not a CFI, but I'm sure I can ease the stress of doing that flight your first time by having another pilot along who is familiar with the airspace, plus I'm free ;) :p

This is a great thread. In twenty-three years of flying, I have only flown into the basin half a dozen times, and I've been thinking that I would really like to visit there more often.

I live up in the area. If you want to meet up sometime I'd be glad to fly along with you through the LAX special flight rules area for your first time around.

Oh, nice. Thank you for the offer!

This is a great thread.

Glad it's useful to others; let us know when you get out here!

I will definitely add Flabob to my list of places to visit. For now, I am off to finish my CNO flight plan for tomorrow's breakfast. I'm hoping for a nice flight up the coast and on FF to make all the Charlie transitions easier. The inland path around HMT and Perris Valley doesn't look as fun with all the glider and skydiving ops in the way.

I'm also learning how to do flight planning in the "real world" compared to as a student. My Dad is a big fan of doing it all on the charts so you only have one thing to read: big lines for the route and then marking distances, times, headings, along the path on the chart. I'll see how that works out.

I'll report back after my trip :)

Update: I was going to go to Chino for Father's Day breakfast but the plane's oil and fuel sump door on the cowling broke and I couldn't get it open to check them so the plane is grounded for the day.

Another weekend!

Well THAT sucks :(

Going over to Fiance's parents for festivities. I won't be able to pronounce anything I'm eating - but it will be GOOD :)

I'm also learning how to do flight planning in the "real world" compared to as a student. My Dad is a big fan of doing it all on the charts so you only have one thing to read: big lines for the route and then marking distances, times, headings, along the path on the chart. I'll see how that works out.

I'll report back after my trip :)

Invest in an iPad and Foreflight ;) you will know exactly where you are which can make threading your way through the complicated LA airspace a bit easier. Pilotage is and still will be your primary mode of navigating but in unfamiliar and busy airspace it is nice to be able look down and see where you are exactly on the chart.

Also you will have access to weather and TFRs directly through the app.

Last edited:
I have that but I don't have GPS. I am deciding to buy a Garmin or Bad Elf-like GPS or save up for a Stratus 2.

Oh, that stuff is easy to pronounce but also easy to get you into a coma. Enjoy!

There are external GPS receivers for the iPad, I would recommend getting one of those to enable GPS w/ foreflight.

I flew to Chino today! It was a little hazy -- that's LA vernacular for smog, right? -- out there but otherwise a wonderful flight. I took my GoPro but my first attempt didn't do so well. It only recorded 17 minutes in one file and 2 minutes in a second sequential file and shut itself off. Hmm. I have a 64GB card and a Batter Pack. Blah. I'll have to look into that...

I got Flight Following both ways as soon as I was off the ground and it was a great experience. While it was pretty quiet on the way out, the way back had a lot of traffic. I originally was at 5,500 but once I hit the coast, I was switched to the next frequency and called them up and mentioned I was descending to 3,500 of which they told me to maintain 5,5 instead. It turned out there was a lot of traffic off CRQ and OCN at 3,000' -- it really showed the pluses (and minuses) of FF -- without that I would have been at the altitude I wanted but I also wouldn't have had any idea how congested it was.

Later they gave me 2,5 along the beach which put me into Miramar's Bravo without clearing me into Bravo so I asked for clarification that 2,500 was the correct altitude upon which they confirmed and said "That will put you into Bravo, cleared in at 2,500, radar contacts at ... " so I'm glad I did that. Over Mt Soledad was handed off to MYF with my squawk code kept and moseyed on in.

A great experience and KCNO was a blast -- got lost taxiing to the transit area so had to ask Ground for help "I'm near the Air Force Constellation, where is the transit?" :D

Good breakfast at Flo's, too, although I couldn't try the gravy as I wanted to be able to fly back home in my plane not an ambulance :)

Timmer,

The Café at Hemet is great, as is the one at Flabob and of course Riverside. Lots of great destinations in the area.

The Italian place at Borrego (L08) is pretty good as well.

http.160knots.com has a great selection of info on SoCal in the Our Trips section.

'Gimp

Back