Sobering Video [NA]

JeffDG

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
JeffDG
Just got this from one of my "Safety" folks at work...

I was going to post something really acerbic about the intelligence level needed to simultaneously text and drive. But really, it is probably very difficult for people to see the danger in the everyday. Ask people of what they're most afraid, and odds are you'll hear about terrorists, or sharks, or airplanes (!). You won't hear about ladders, electricity, cell phones or automobiles.

I think by now everyone knows the dangers in drinking and driving, and with luck the number of DUIs has gone down. Given what we've lost I would hope so. I sincerely hope videos like this educate people to what would seem to be the rather obvious danger of text messaging and driving. Until then I will be watching my rear view mirrors when stopped on the motorcycle, assiduously.

I was going to post something really acerbic about the intelligence level needed to simultaneously text and drive. But really, it is probably very difficult for people to see the danger in the everyday. Ask people of what they're most afraid, and odds are you'll hear about terrorists, or sharks, or airplanes (!). You won't hear about ladders, electricity, cell phones or automobiles.

I think by now everyone knows the dangers in drinking and driving, and with luck the number of DUIs has gone down. Given what we've lost I would hope so. I sincerely hope videos like this educate people to what would seem to be the rather obvious danger of text messaging and driving. Until then I will be watching my rear view mirrors when stopped on the motorcycle, assiduously.
It is hard to text and drive. Those little keypads and screens on the cellphone are the main culprit. That is why I think this is a better solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmate-Laptop-Steering-Wheel-Desk/dp/B000IZGIA8

attachment.php

Attachments

• 51vyqnFvCeL._SS400_.jpg
    51vyqnFvCeL._SS400_.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
How many people here are willing to admit that they both text and drive or text and fly??

And I'm also wondering if pilots in general make safer texters while driving (or flying) particularly if you have instrument training because the division of attention/ability to multitask is better developed within that group because of those acquired skills??

How many people here are willing to admit that they both text and drive or text and fly??

And I'm also wondering if pilots in general make safer texters while driving (or flying) particularly if you have instrument training because the division of attention/ability to multitask is better developed within that group because of those acquired skills??
I no longer text and drive as it is illegal to do so in Illinois, but I have done it. I do use a handsfree BT device to originate and answer calls.

I get weather briefings on the cell phone on the way to the airport. Of course, I pay them no attention whatsoever, since if I'm on the way to the airport I've already determined that conditions are permissive for a flight.

I don't do either. I do talk.

Texting while flying would seem to be a less risky activity given how little there is to run into up there. That's probably how we (usually) get away with stuff like reading charts, playing with radios, etc.

PP standards require you to maintain +-200 feet of altitude (IIRC) - 200 feet right/left on a typical road would be a disaster.

I don't text and fly, although I admit that the reason is more because I dislike cell phones in general and gladly make use of any excuse to turn the blasted things off.

However, I think I would feel less uncomfortable texting while flying than texting while driving, not because of any special skill in multitasking that pilots develop, but simply because most flying doesn't require the sustained intensity of concentration that driving does. (Obviously this wouldn't apply to takeoff, landing, altitude and course changes, and so forth.) Ten seconds of distraction while driving on the Long Island Expressway or the Cross Bronx Expressway (assuming the traffic is actually moving) will most likely kill you. Ten seconds of distraction in cruise on a XC, while nonetheless unwise, most likely will not.

I also don't text and drive. I usually will answer voice calls using a bluetooth headset, and I have the very few people to whom I might initiate calls on speed dial, which I can access by voice commands. But I don't text at all. Driving in NYC-area traffic is harrowing enough without that distraction.

I will, however, catch up on text messages and email when I am stopped dead in traffic, which isn't all that uncommon a situation around here.

-Rich

When flying gets to the point that they can crowd aircraft flying opposite directions 5' wingtip to wingtip, and have those aircraft in 6'-10' nose-tall spacing, I'll worry about cruise distractions about the same level as when driving.

When flying gets to the point that they can crowd aircraft flying opposite directions 5' wingtip to wingtip, and have those aircraft in 6'-10' nose-tall spacing, I'll worry about cruise distractions about the same level as when driving.

Indeed... driving is more like making a continuous, formation takeoff or landing- really doesn't compare to cruise flight. Gotta keep a lookout,of course, but generally you have much more leeway... literally.

But I don't care how smart or multitask-y someone is; there's a reason why road vehicles have a big window in the front, and if a message is really more urgent than getting where you're going, you should pull over and deal with the message.

I do that all the time- I've never sent or received a text that was more important than my life or bodily well-being (or anyone else's). It's a no-brainer.

And the time to make that assessment is before you leave the driveway- just like with drinking and driving. Nobody in their right mind would say "I intend to not pay attention while driving" any more than they would say "I intend to drive while impaired by drugs or alcohol to the point where I can't see straight, let alone react to the unexpected", yet they end up doing it on a regular basis. You have to decide beforehand that you're not that kind of driver, and stick with that rule.

What's really wrenching about this video is how inane and unimportant the messages were... but again, it doesn't matter. Whatever the task, if it's more important than the driving, the driving should stop- not the attention to the driving.

Here's another great reason to not text and drive, even if you're good at it: with all the fools out there texting while driving, you never know what's going to happen. :rolleyes2:

IMHO, anyone who texts while driving is a dangerous imbecile.

Thanks for sharing. People just don't get how dangerous driving really is.

And my life insurance is higher because I have a pilot's license...

Don't get me started on speeders or lane-dodgers, or both. I drove wildly in my youth, until I realized exactly how risky it was.

Now I set the cruise at the speed limit and watch vehicles fly by going 20-30 MPH faster.

I usually end up sitting next to them at the stop light of the off-ramp.

p.s. While it might be an annoyance for train or other mass transit riders... why not mix tech with safety...

If the phone is moving per the GPS faster than say, 10 MPH... it simply stores up the text messages. Until the phone has stopped moving for say, 5 minutes... the user simply doesn't even receive them.

Have an over-ride for mass transit riders that requires punching in a whole bunch of digits that change every time.

Anyone kills or even injures someone else doing this while driving, there'd be zero chance they didn't actively choose to be reckless, and the penalties could be higher.

Much higher.

You have to find a way into people's conscious decision-making brain process... it can't be just "automatic" to pick up the phone and look at the message.

p.s. While it might be an annoyance for train or other mass transit riders... why not mix tech with safety...

If the phone is moving per the GPS faster than say, 10 MPH... it simply stores up the text messages. Until the phone has stopped moving for say, 5 minutes... the user simply doesn't even receive them.

Except you mess with bus, train, and even pax in the car... And I don't think

Have an over-ride for mass transit riders that requires punching in a whole bunch of digits that change every time.

is going to stop anyone. :frown2:

Anyone kills or even injures someone else doing this while driving, there'd be zero chance they didn't actively choose to be reckless, and the penalties could be higher.

Much higher.

Hard to get much higher than death, though, and that doesn't seem to stop anyone. :(

Passengers in cars too...you know, you can fit more than one person in a moving car!

Pilots are frequently some of the worst drivers I know without distractions, and they only seem to get worse as drivers as they get better as pilots. Add a distraction and I wouldn't expect it to get any better. I'll admit that I'm not as good of a driver as I was before I started flying. Although I also have never had any wrecks or even fender-benders, only tickets.

I think one of the reasons is that, once you start flying, driving seems like a joke.

Thanks for the post. I just watched it in it's entirety. My daughter is going to be 13 in March, and while she doesn't drive yet, or have a personal phone (she uses our "house line" cell phone), she does text to her swim and church friends a bit. I think I'll ask her to watch this.

I think one of the reasons is that, once you start flying, driving seems like a joke.

I feel like it's kind of the opposite for me, because I had my pilot's license before I even started driving with a learner's permit. I take driving just as seriously as I do my flying. With that said, I will not text and drive, nor will I text and fly.

Call me old fashioned, but..... I am in my mid 50's and I have NEVER texted before and have no desire to. It is ALOT easier just to talk to the other party, and less time to do it too....:dunno::dunno:

Ben.

Call me old fashioned, but..... I am in my mid 50's and I have NEVER texted before and have no desire to. It is ALOT easier just to talk to the other party, and less time to do it too....:dunno::dunno:

Ben.

Bingo! +1
I don't even have a cell phone. Don't need one....or the monthly bill either!

Wow. The NEW generation of Driver's Ed videos.....we have to tell them to actually DRIVE the car.

IMHO, anyone who texts while driving is a dangerous imbecile.

Andrew, did you see each of those folks were Teenagers? Isn't what you said redundant. Not sure about you but I look back on some of the things I did and shudder now but you were probably one of those perfect math club type kids and Just became the SBOAH AFTER you had kids. :D

Much higher.

You have to find a way into people's conscious decision-making brain process... it can't be just "automatic" to pick up the phone and look at the message.

Actually some mom did come up with that program I think you can get it for certain phones. It won't let the phone work except for 911 if it is moving at more than a certain speed. Its a program you can download on to a certain phone so it won't mess with folks who are pax.

The real value of text messaging is when you can't talk on the phone, or it would be impolite to talk on the phone or check voice mail, someone can get a quick message through to you.

I don't talk on the phone in the bathroom, in a restaurant, in a meeting, etc. but those are all situations where a quick communication by text is possible.

Pilots are frequently some of the worst drivers I know without distractions, and they only seem to get worse as drivers as they get better as pilots.

Really? I wouldn't say I got any better or worse overall as a driver after becoming a pilot, but I definitely notice that I am a much better driver immediately after flying - It always makes me calm and happy to fly, and after the successful completion of a flight I am much more relaxed and in tune with my driving.

I feel like it's kind of the opposite for me, because I had my pilot's license before I even started driving with a learner's permit. I take driving just as seriously as I do my flying. With that said, I will not text and drive, nor will I text and fly.

That may be a side effect of having learned at a younger age. I'd been driving for 8 years and about 350,000 miles by the time I started flying. Still haven't crashed and I do take driving at least somewhat seriously, but motorcycles and airplanes get my respect a lot more than something that tries to keep itself upright.

Oh that's right, you've been in my car with me driving. :eek:

:rofl: Not actually what I was thinking about. But I would let you fly my Twin Cessna. ;)

Pilots are frequently some of the worst drivers I know without distractions, and they only seem to get worse as drivers as they get better as pilots. Add a distraction and I wouldn't expect it to get any better. I'll admit that I'm not as good of a driver as I was before I started flying. Although I also have never had any wrecks or even fender-benders, only tickets.

Hey Ted, don't blame your pathetic driving skills on the airplane. Not every pilot sucks as bad as you. And don't you dare rash up that nice race bike. I have friends. You'll be found.

Hey Ted, don't blame your pathetic driving skills on the airplane. Not every pilot sucks as bad as you. And don't you dare rash up that nice race bike. I have friends. You'll be found.

1) My record dictates I'm not a pathetic driver, as I have never touched metal against other metal, but have managed to get out of a lot of things that lesser skilled folk would have totaled a car in. I'm at least able to admit that I don't care about it as much as I used to.

2) "Nice race bike"? You clearly haven't seen the certified pre-wrecked specimen that I purchased. Nor did you read later that motorcycles and airplanes get more respect from me than cars.

3) My friends are bigger than your friends, and wrestle polar bears in Siberia for fun.

3) My friends are bigger than your friends, and wrestle polar bears in Siberia for fun.

They won't protect you much while they are in Siberia...:wink2:

1) My record dictates I'm not a pathetic driver, as I have never touched metal against other metal, but have managed to get out of a lot of things that lesser skilled folk would have totaled a car in. I'm at least able to admit that I don't care about it as much as I used to.

Hey, you're the one who said you don't drive as well now that you're a pilot. and not "bending metal" is a rather low bar to set IMHO.

2) "Nice race bike"? You clearly haven't seen the certified pre-wrecked specimen that I purchased. Nor did you read later that motorcycles and airplanes get more respect from me than cars.

If it's such a POS why'd you buy it (actually, did you ever receive said motorcycle)?. There are nice examples out there.

Yeah, your girlfriends are a pretty ferocious lot.

Hey, you're the one who said you don't drive as well now that you're a pilot. and not "bending metal" is a rather low bar to set IMHO.

Not driving as well as I used to is a far cry from "pathetic driver." And as you have never ridden with me, you're not in much of a position to judge. Furthermore, I really don't care about your opinion on a bar to set (and I never said that not bending metal was my bar).

As is typical of your recent posts, you jump to conclusions without any data to support it, and aim to be argumentative when there's not a reason to. The extreme case that you make out is not based in any fact, nor based on what I said.

If it's such a POS why'd you buy it (actually, did you ever receive said motorcycle)?. There are nice examples out there.

Because I didn't want a nice example, I wanted a Mad Max bike. I have been very happily riding my Mad Max bike for the past 5 months. It rides great and the frame is straight, but it isn't anything close to a nice example.

Yeah, your girlfriends are a pretty ferocious lot.

That's just uncalled for for a number of reasons, or else a very poor attempt at humor. Either way, not something that you should say.

Ted, don't get so sensitive. I know it goes with the long blond hair and rock star good looks, but I've honestly just been yanking your chain. Thought you knew me well enough to figure that out without smileys.

Ted, don't get so sensitive. I know it goes with the long blond hair and rock star good looks, but I've honestly just been yanking your chain. Thought you knew me well enough to figure that out without smileys.

Use the smileys next time. Please.

Great use of emotional rhetoric to make a point. However, as most of these types of videos seem to be, it's a little disingenuous. For example, Ashley clipped the median and was ejected from the truck and was killed. Could the fact that she wasn't wearing a seatbelt possibly been a contributing factor? (Yes, that was in the report that was displayed in the video. Second bullet under Officer's Notes.)

Note that I'm not commenting on the wisdom of texting and driving; merely the liberties that these types of videos take with the facts.

Back