So who has used the FlyQ EFB yet ?

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo

Seems that Seattle Avionics have been busy beavers, with both developing this app and the BK myWingman app.....

Both are getting bad reviews on the Apple store so it makes me hesitant to download either of them.

(posting here as well cause I get a feeling the red board will take it down!!)

Assuming it's the FlyQ app you mean, which AOPA pushed in its emails when it came out, it's basically AOPA Airports on a tablet.

I don't think you need to worry about Red Board censorship. There was quite a bit of criticism on the app when it came out.

Tried it, didn't seem to have any utility that I couldn't get from FF so I got rid of it.

I downloaded and tried the FlyQ for the ipad and it works well enough but the costs are prohibitive as far as I am concerned. they simply want to much for the database.

Seems that Seattle Avionics have been busy beavers, with both developing this app and the BK myWingman app.....

Both are getting bad reviews on the Apple store so it makes me hesitant to download either of them.

(posting here as well cause I get a feeling the red board will take it down!!)

FlyQ and my wingman are pretty much the same (both from seattle avionics). I don't like either one, but I compare all EFB's to FF now and so far, nothing comes close. You can download and try it for 60 days, I think. You don't need to commit to it.

Pulled from the red board already, that was fast.

I didnt post anything that I didnt post here.....

FlyQ is free for AOPA members so I have it and use it quite often. It's not meant to compete with a ForeFlight, but is a handy reference on my phone.

I use it on my Android devices. I like it for quick weather lookups mainly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

FlyQ is free for AOPA members so I have it and use it quite often. It's not meant to compete with a ForeFlight, but is a handy reference on my phone.

This is the ipad efb version, moving map etc

Agree, not worth giving Wingx up for

This is the ipad efb version, moving map etc

Agree, not worth giving Wingx up for

Ah, yes...I see they renamed the FlyQ that I use to FlyQ Pocket and have the FlyQ EFB as the full-featured competitor to Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight, WingX, etc.

(http://www.aopa.org/flightplanning/...lyq.html?WT.mc_id=121130epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan)

On the iPad I'll stick with ForeFlight. If they come out with Nexus 7 support, I'll look at it. My 32G iPad is too full with FF and GP to try another product right now!

I didn't mind FlyQ the little bit I messed with it. I love the split screen functionality that WingX and FlyQ bring to the table. I hope Foreflight does the same. That being said I won't switch from FF for either one.

That's all I have, Loren (the free version). I enjoy the free FlyQ, but I'm not planning to upgrade to the paid version.

Well, dang it. I just installed the latest FlyQ EFB on my new iPad since I now have enough storage to try things (went from 32G to 64G iPad...I'm sure I'll need a 128G in a year or two...hope they make one!)

Anyway, I am pretty impressed. The synthetic vision looks very interesting. I'm anxious to fly with it. I did some screen grabs. I'm going to do a write-up for my blog, and will post a link when I do.

So many choices these days!

Most folks answered about the airport tool. The EFB variant is something altogether different.
I have both the similar one from Bendix-King which Seattle Avionics also seemed to have been involved with. There is one key difference though; to me it's having 2 screens (split) to manage on the FlyQEFB rather than 3 in the case of the wingman. Most times it would great to return to the previous screen configuration rather than to skip through forward to all of them.
The wheel thing is good and usable on the bendix as compared to say garmin pilot(which is thoroughly dumb in my opinion). But forget about it all on the FlyQEFB...it's usually the screen setup you are on or the previous one anyway.

Now I wish Seattle would think a bit differently and make an Android version--of the EFB, mind you.
Oh, privacy concerns aside--who really cares what my flight plans are anyway--I like that I can open any of my EFB's and my plans are there, even old ones, on both Bendix and FLYQEFB.
The key thing though for the FlyQEFB is ease of use: from flight planning through navigation and data-management.
My only now that my trial has run out is that I could use my third-computer chart subscription on *this* tablet....

Pulled from the red board already, that was fast.

I didnt post anything that I didnt post here.....

Try VAF if you think thats bad. I posted a link to the news article about the guy who caught someone stealing his trailer from his plane down in Florida a few weeks ago. Reason for deleting: violent. A few days later a guy posted a video flying on top of the clouds(literally) in Russia. Since they must not have cloud clearance rules over there, that one was okay.

Most folks answered about the airport tool. The EFB variant is something altogether different.
I have both the similar one from Bendix-King which Seattle Avionics also seemed to have been involved with. There is one key difference though; to me it's having 2 screens (split) to manage on the FlyQEFB rather than 3 in the case of the wingman. Most times it would great to return to the previous screen configuration rather than to skip through forward to all of them.
The wheel thing is good and usable on the bendix as compared to say garmin pilot(which is thoroughly dumb in my opinion). But forget about it all on the FlyQEFB...it's usually the screen setup you are on or the previous one anyway.

Now I wish Seattle would think a bit differently and make an Android version--of the EFB, mind you.
Oh, privacy concerns aside--who really cares what my flight plans are anyway--I like that I can open any of my EFB's and my plans are there, even old ones, on both Bendix and FLYQEFB.
The key thing though for the FlyQEFB is ease of use: from flight planning through navigation and data-management.
My only now that my trial has run out is that I could use my third-computer chart subscription on *this* tablet....

I just downloaded the Bendix/King MyWingMan app. You can definitely see some common heritage with FlyQ EFB, although there still are significant differences. At least they give you a 60 day eval so can play with it a bit.

So many choices...

I've tried them all (they all have 30 day trials) and for usability none comes close to ForeFlight. Actually I like the AOPA app least. I would put WingX Pro a close #2 (or #1 in features) but for overall intuitive interface FF wins for me.

Download them all. They're free. Do your own in-cockpit taste test and buy a subscription to the one YOU like best.

Eddie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EFB definitely has the ability to become a contender... It's actually very good for version 1.0. That being said, it still needs lots of work. I Like the track-up/north-up, but the icon sucks. Synth vision is a start, but is worthless without terrain warnings. Nice split screen. Show/hide icons are hard to actuate. No notepad. 'Am anxious to see what some revisions will bring. Also, AOPA will need to drop price a bit... Now it's about the same as FF or WingX, membership should offer more of a discount.

I've tried them all (they all have 30 day trials) and for usability none comes close to ForeFlight. Actually I like the AOPA app least. I would put WingX Pro a close #2 (or #1 in features) but for overall intuitive interface FF wins for me.

Download them all. They're free. Do your own in-cockpit taste test and buy a subscription to the one YOU like best.

Eddie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

True about the trials. I now have WingX Pro trial installed. Mainly, to test the iLEVIL (WASS, ADS-B (one of them), AHRS) that I just got which FlyQ and myWingman doesn't seem to be able to grok just yet.

WinXPro --works with the iLEVIL (but the cost of subscription totalling ~$300-400 per year just to get going will not work for me)

Xavion (now this is a phenominal app for safety--crazy cool!) -- doesn't work with iLEVIL yet but it tries. But then again, the algorithms behind this app doesn't really need an AHRS either with the super corrections built-in to compensate for Apple lameness.

myWingman -- doesn't work with iLEVIL yet but there's been talk

FlyQEFB -- doesn't work with iLEVIL yet (but $180 *total* a year for every known chart (IFR too) and geo-referenced is real affordable and I can use it with myWingman)

Garmin Pilot -- given up on that one. Could be me but I never got into the swichology of Garmin; it simply defies my brain.

I use it on my Android devices. I like it for quick weather lookups mainly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

+1

I keep 4 apps "stacked" on my Nexus. This is one of them.
It's a quick reference for airport maps, frequencies, etc.

Back