So Where Is Everyone Holed Up Tonight

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
For those who arrived at OSH this afternoon only to find the field closed due to space restrictions (hard surface parking only) where did you all wind up until the field dries out?

I think Aunt Peggy said Juneau and Jay Honeck never departed Iowa City, but how about the rest of y'all?

Jim

I'm with the Piper Owner Society (POS) gathering headed to KOSH from Steven's Point (KSTE) the rest of this week. We got a hotel and a bus ride, but it just didn't turn out the same as if I had flown in from Waupaca (KPCZ) with the Cherokees 2 OSH group arrival and camped out like had been planned. :( It's been a very different Airventure experience this year for me, but I've had fun all the same! Just different kinds of fun :)

For those of us from the Left Coast without a working knowledge of local airport idents, would y'all please spell out the name?

Thanks,

Jim
Golf Alpha Lima Tango India November Golf Romeo Echo Echo November Whiskey Oscar Oscar Delta, India Lima Lima India November Oscar India Sierra. :)

I'm at my home base in Waukesha County- stopped by Juneau, Dodge County today to check out the planes, and then left. At the moment I'm sitting in our air conditioned buildout having a nice cool drink. The ground is pretty soft after all the rain, with lots of standing water- it's going to take a few hot dry days for it to get hard enough for planes. People in Juneau were hanging out and looking a little lost, but pretty mellow overall.

At home (1H0 - St. Louis area).

I've spent most of the day:

1. Checking my "stuff", going over packing lists
2. Scouring internet forums for information on the current conditions at OSH
3. Perusing the oshkosh 365 webcams for more information. There were "some" people camping in the N40, but not many airplanes.
4. Checking the "official" parking status page....

So i'm hanging out here, seeing what the morning brings and a possible departure to arrive noonish...

I live in Waukesha County (58nm SSE of OSH), and from the line of aircraft I heard this morning, I thought things were really opening up at OSH. After flying my John Deere this morning, I had the Oshkosh 365 web cams and LiveATC on, and noted that they just didn't sound too busy. Now you all have confirmed that is was a no-go for most.

I plan on being up there Tuesday, and then Thursday-Sunday. I just booked an air conditioned dorm room at UW Oshkosh for $85/night. Woo hoo!

I'm still in Colorado but received this email about an hour ago:

Well, I'm back to plan A (more or less). Heading for ATW this morning, we were IFR at 9000 feet when I decided to tune in the OSH ATIS. "No Parking, closed to GA arrivals, blah, blah, Showplane, VINTAGE, exhibitor arrivals ARE being accepted..." Did he say VINTAGE? I just happen to have a 1969 PA-32, that qualifies! So descend, cancel, off to Ripon to join the conga line. Got in without issue, turns out they are parking vintage planes anywhere they can find a dry spot, then they truck your camping gear down to the VAC area. If things improve, we might be able to eventually move the plane to join our tents. Not perfect, but more fun than the dorms and WAY more fun than riding a %$#@! bus from ATW.

POS has always had a somewhat different meaning during my 50 years on this planet...really?...they use that acronymn? I just can't imagine!

:wink2:
Everyone is into three letter acronyms or TLAs. They really only mean things to the guys in that group. You have to think of the context it's used in. I still think of POS car oriented (piece of stuf) and I'm in POS.
Drive one too!

Back home in Madison, but we had about half a dozen people park in Hartford while I was out flying gliders. We even sold a ride to a cirrus pilot from florida. He did pretty good for a cirrus driver :-D

We're in Sleepy Hollow Farm just outside the main entrance, in a travel trailer (rental). Thankfully the company delivered the trailer Friday afternoon, before the last big storm rolled through Friday night.
We got in Saturday, and everything was a mess. Motorhomes and vehicles getting stuck all over the place.

Friday I had to decide what to do, and drove from Denver. Good thing, there was low IFR between Denver and OSH on Saturday. If I'd flown up, we would have been toast (Fond Du Lac is closed, Appleton has some parking, but no rental cars from what I hear.
Things are rapidly drying out, but aircraft parking will continue to be an issue. For every acre of dry ground, there's an acre of mud bog.

POS has always had a somewhat different meaning during my 50 years on this planet...really?...they use that acronymn? I just can't imagine!

:wink2:

Yeah, someone either had a sense of humor or was completely oblivious when that name was selected...

Ugh. We were at PCZ planning an escape west when yours truly fell ill. Just got back up to speed (barely). Crummy vacation if ever there was one, though the company at the cherokee fly-in was first rate.

Back