So what's this called?

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Last edited:
"VFR not recommended"?

(Sorry for derailing the thread, but I just couldn't help it...)

Last edited:
Mesoscale Convective Complex. A large group of thunderstorms. Specifically what shows on the image is the large plume of very cold very high cloud tops, I guess.

Overshooting tops would be my guess. IRW-texture detection depicting it...

Last edited:
In the center of that image is NIMS.

Where Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and South Dakota meet.

Is the camera saturating, or is there actually a warm spot in the clouds right there?

Although, I guess the camera would only saturate for high heat, not low. So maybe what we're looking at is the thermal signature of lighting. But I really don't know.

Scott, is the the same thing as the weather that is thought to have brought down the Air France flight over the Atlantic?

Back in the 50s during Project Man High, the Air Force space equivalent environment, balloon flights launched from the Dakotas, it was first confirmed that storm tops could exceed 50,000 ft. During an anxiety filled night at altitude Major David Simons confirmed that thunderstorms that were expected to pass well below his capsule were reaching to nearly 70,000 ft.

how is that "even more correct"ly ? You originally said "the Dakotas" and us South Dakotans are pretty proud of NOT being part of North Dakota :) ... however, since I was born a Minnesotan, I'll click your link and smile, anyway! Uffda!

Back