So what is the "Purple" board?

It was open for a while, but the membership asked that it be closed again. Too many negative possibilities vs. few positives for opening it up.

One wonders: what negative possibilities?

Normally at this point I'd be asking everyone to keep in mind that policy discussions about how other aviation forums are operated belong, (at least in the MC's view), on those forums.

But seeing as its kind of hard to discuss why another board is locked down on that board, unless you're a member of that board already...

Kind of a catch-22, really... ;)

Kind of a catch-22, really... ;)

Reminds me of a woman who used to work for me. She always called it a "catch-20/20". (Yes, she was serious.) I've said catch-20/20 for so long now I have to think about which one is correct.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Great. Another way to waste time when I should be working. As if I needed that!!

My problem exactly.

I did register. My visit impressed on me the strong showing by original red boarders there (plus a few chased outta here too). My initial impression is the "liberals" there aren't quite so indignant (which also makes for more mellow conservatives). I think we've all all 'grown up' some over the years.

This year I rejoined AOPA to support GA legislation but, I won't participate in the Red Board again. I have only so much free time.

I think any community serving GA is a plus for our hobby.

Warning! unabashed plug for the home team follows:

And I think this one is one of the best!

Last edited:
ed - how do you find this stuff???

pretty tough keyboard...

Reminds me of a woman who used to work for me. She always called it a "catch-20/20". (Yes, she was serious.) I've said catch-20/20 for so long now I have to think about which one is correct.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....

Better than what one might Catch if they follow the link Nick posted in the other thread... :hairraise:

You guys are too much.......start'n to sound kinda elitist (translate - snobish)....may also have a touch of arrogance with it.

I prefer all of the boards.....:yes:
You have a good point. I'll repeat here what I posted on the purple board last night:

All the different aviation forums have their good points and bad points...special people and annoying people. What IS disappointing is if the people on forums become elitist about the one they like the best.

ed - how do you find this stuff???

pretty tough keyboard...

Kid needs medication, maybe a little more bandwidth and to stop running Windows. (Try the translated version.) ...although I've screamed at MY Windows computer like that for a shorter duration.

I just went to unzip a file for a WiFi card driver on the company PC. They pre-loaded WinZip. There HAS to be a philosophy that the more prompts and OKs they give you the more you think it's worth.

"Do you want to scan your disk for zip files?" (Actually it was click OK to scan your disk.)
Which file do you want to open? (THE ONE I JUST DOUBLE CLICKED ON!)
Do you want to add this directory to your list of favorites?
JUST OPEN THE GORRAM ZIP AND EXTRACT THE FILES!
Classic mode?
YES! GOD IN HEAVEN, YES!

Kid needs medication, maybe a little more bandwidth and to stop running Windows. (Try the translated version.) ...although I've screamed at MY Windows computer like that for a shorter duration.

I just went to unzip a file for a WiFi card driver on the company PC. They pre-loaded WinZip. There HAS to be a philosophy that the more prompts and OKs they give you the more you think it's worth.

"Do you want to scan your disk for zip files?" (Actually it was click OK to scan your disk.)
Which file do you want to open? (THE ONE I JUST DOUBLE CLICKED ON!)
Do you want to add this directory to your list of favorites?
JUST OPEN THE GORRAM ZIP AND EXTRACT THE FILES!
Classic mode?
YES! GOD IN HEAVEN, YES!

Mike,

That only happens on the first run of WinZip. Why is it Microsoft's fault that your IT department pushes an annoying program?

You guys are too much.......start'n to sound kinda elitist (translate - snobish)....may also have a touch of arrogance with it.

I prefer all of the boards.....:yes:

Funny, I thought the same exact thing of the Prilosec board. You can't view us unless you're an 'elite' member. And why did that board need to be formed, when we have exactly what was wanted, oh, here? Because some people were too good for this place, or just giant crybabies that threw a temper tantrum and had to have their own place.

As I said earlier, I refuse to sign up for anything that I can't preview first, and as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that."

Funny, I thought the same exact thing of the Prilosec board. You can't view us unless you're an 'elite' member. And why did that board need to be formed, when we have exactly what was wanted, oh, here? Because some people were too good for this place, or just giant crybabies that threw a temper tantrum and had to have their own place.

As I said earlier, I refuse to sign up for anything that I can't preview first, and as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that."
Well ya know.....Iron sharpens Iron...

That's too bad for ya.:)

Ed, this really was uncalled for. If you wish to not sign up, that's your choice. Other folks make other choices. Frankly, your attitude here is exactly why some folks have chosen another place to hang out.

Ed, this really was uncalled for.

While I tend to agree, Ed does sort of have a point. I was really hesitant to sign up on a board when I had NO IDEA what it really was and NO WAY to find out before I signed up. I did it first under an assumed name.

I am an Aviation Web Board junkie, so once I found out what it was, I signed up and enjoy it as much as the other two and more than a few others I am member of.

While I tend to agree, Ed does sort of have a point. I was really hesitant to sign up on a board when I had NO IDEA what it really was and NO WAY to find out before I signed up. I did it first under an assumed name.

The decision to make only the index visible was made by the owner of the board after much discussion among the moderators and administrators. And I understand Ed's initial point, but then he asks a question that could easily have been answered by any one of PB mods/admins that have posted in this very thread, but instead answers his own question in a manner meant to insult and demean the participants of the PB. That's what I take exception with.

The decision to make only the index visible was made by the owner of the board after much discussion among the moderators and administrators.

When I initially started this thread, not even that was available.

And I understand Ed's initial point, but then he asks a question that could easily have been answered by any one of PB mods/admins that have posted in this very thread, but instead answers his own question in a manner meant to insult and demean the participants of the PB. That's what I take exception with.

And THAT is what I agreed to when I said:

While I tend to agree,

Everyone take a breath.

There are tons of things we can argue about, the value of one message board over another isn't one of them.

Move along, there's nothing to see here.

Ed, this really was uncalled for. If you wish to not sign up, that's your choice. Other folks make other choices. Frankly, your attitude here is exactly why some folks have chosen another place to hang out.

Actually, I missed a second question mark in that post you were responded to. I didn't mean to definitively say that's why the board was formed. So I apologize for that. It should have been a question - is that the reason? So someone could be their own boss? Because that's what it looks like.

There are tons of things we can argue about, the value of one message board over another isn't one of them.

I don't think it is the VALUE being argued about here.

As someone else said, if you can't get the answers THERE, you have to get them SOMEWHERE.

Which is why I started the thread.

Actually, I missed a second question mark in that post you were responded to. I didn't mean to definitively say that's why the board was formed. So I apologize for that. It should have been a question - is that the reason? So someone could be their own boss? Because that's what it looks like.
You know, that's not particularly fair.

When folks complained on the red board about the forum policies, WHAT was it we heard, over and over and over and over and over?? "Hey, if you don't like it here, feel free to go start your own forum". "Go start your own" over and over. So we did. Now what do we get?

edfred said:
Because some people were too good for this place, or just giant crybabies that threw a temper tantrum and had to have their own place.
Given this dichotomy what should we do?

Oh! Oh! I know! I know!! We should have a board where folks can come and post - if they want to - and run things the way we would like to see 'em run, democratically as much as possible, no one person running the thing, moderation in moderation, and done by consensus. AND we don't slam of other boards.

I find it interesting that some of the harshest comment has come from people who have NOT even been to the board. I mean, how hard is it to get an email address to use??? Sheesh.

You know, that's not particularly fair.

When folks complained on the red board about the forum policies, WHAT was it we heard, over and over and over and over and over?? "Hey, if you don't like it here, feel free to go start your own forum". "Go start your own" over and over. So we did.

I find it interesting that some of the harshest comment has come from people who have NOT even been to the board. I mean, how hard is it to get an email address to use??? Sheesh.

What was wrong with this place that you needed your own board? I guess thats the question. How hard is it to let someone preview the board?

We have specific reasons for not opening the whole board up to unregistered viewers - we discussed it, and then discussed it again when it came up a second time. Others can likely explain it better than I, but it's about privacy issues, search engines, robots, etc., as well as other considerations. It wasn't done lightly, but we meant it to be this way.

And there's NOTHING wrong with this board (and we say that on a regular basis) - we just wanted a board that SPECIFICALLY addressed the things we desired in an aviation board and community - with emphasis on the "community" aspect of it. We all get along VERY well there. You ought to stop by sometime.

Microsoft, Apple, Linux . . .

Ford, Chevy, Toyota . . .

Cessna, Piper, Beech . . .

Less filling, tastes great . . .

Red, Blue, Purple.

Nuff said.

And there's NOTHING wrong with this board (and we say that on a regular basis) - we just wanted a board that SPECIFICALLY addressed the things we desired in an aviation board and community - with emphasis on the "community" aspect of it. We all get along VERY well there. You ought to stop by sometime.

Tom, that's what I don't get. If there's nothing wrong with this board, why start your own?

I don't agree with those who say the more aviation forums, the better. If that was the case... Well, taken to the extreme, that would mean the best case would be every single pilot would have their own forum. Obviously, that is not the best case. The more boards, the more diluted they get and pretty soon the "community" consists of you and Tony Condon. Take all the DH's and JW's you want, but if the purple board takes enough time that we here lose Dr. Bruce, Chip, Spike, Nick, or anyone else then I believe the net effect of the purple board is negative.

The fact that you'll go to the effort and expense of creating another board tells me that yo do think something is wrong with this forum. I'd sure like to know what...

The fact that you'll go to the effort and expense of creating another board tells me that yo do think something is wrong with this forum. I'd sure like to know what...

Kent, that isn't it at all. One board cannot be all things to all people. There is a different feel to the Purple Board. That isn't a bad thing. It is just different. There is room for more boards. Yes maybe it may take from this board, but I really don't think much. The people I see there aren't all ones that normally post here. And those that are here and there monitor both. I for one enjoy all three.

Tom, that's what I don't get. If there's nothing wrong with this board, why start your own?

Because for various reasons, this forum did not appeal to the majority of the Purple Board founders. To each his/her own.

I must say, the reaction from some of the folks in this thread to the Purple Board is a testament to some of those reasons.

That's not to say there's anything "wrong" with this board. We simply chose to start our own instead.

I looked at the Red Board once upon a time, long long before I "joined" into any board at all. By that, I mean becoming an active participant. For some reason, I can't speak to ever feeling the desire to join the red board.

Later, I joined the "green board" where I was active for about six months, maybe five. I was banned because the "owner" of the board took offense at any criticism of various vendors or flight schools, some of which were advertisers on his board. Personally, I offered to help out a couple folks with super cheap prices on handheld radios when it came up in a thread. I had no intention trying to compete with anyone. I was already selling them on eBay at that time at pretty much break even. For that, the owner banned me. It went well beyond that given the vile put forth by this person while attempting to communicate via a telephone call. I don't miss that board. Many from that board are over here. Some left entirely and haven't been active on any board that I'm aware of. I'm not attempting to bash the board, just how a certain matter was handled by its owner.

Several months went by and I "joined" this board. I had registered some five months prior but had never posted until I spent a very boring Thanksgiving weekend, one year ago. I've enjoyed the time here. It was a rocky start with some personality conflicts. I won't mention the name. Many will already know. Hoping I don't sound condescending, I've seen some mature growth in that person and I've learned some things from their posts. Heck, I've seen some growth within myself, to my own surprise.

I'm sure I've ticked off some others who will never respond to me. For whatever reason they may have, that's ok. I've been at odds with a few and then gone to the other end of the spectrum of very friendly chat. But, if I got along with every single person on this board at every moment I have no doubt the FAA would be looking for possible substance use during my next exam.

I visited the Purple board but I don't really have much of an opinion at this time. I didn't think it had as much aviation material as this board. That's neither good nor bad. It's just not for me. I say that knowing dang few of my 6,000 plus posts on this board are not directly related to aviation. But then, I'll gladly admit I'm every bit as much a rookie aviator as the kid who has yet to take his discovery ride. I may have achieved tickets and time but an incredible wealth of knowledge awaits me.

While attempting to achieve ever increasing levels of knowledge, I read and I learn. Sometimes, I comment. Sometimes, I ask questions. Working to become a CFI takes a lot of time on top of trying to carry out other obligations in my life. For that reason, I simply don't have time to explore other boards. So, I'll stay here and learn... until I'm banned. :)

Meanwhile, I'll continue my goal... to be the next Ron Levy.
(Without the history of abusing two-inch thick steel surfaces, of course.) :D

Folks, I've got no beef, and as far as I know, none of the other MC members have any beef either, with the founders of the purple board.

We run (EMPHASIS ON *WE* - I may be the most public but I am part of a group) these forums a particular way. TPB runs their forum another way. That's great! Different communities cater to different preferences, and more power to them.

We're all pilots. The message boards aren't in competition. The founders of TPB wanted a forum that was more relaxed than AOPA, and did things differently than we do. Excellent - that means if you're a pilot and like low, high, or bi-wing models, you've got choices.

This is a GOOD thing! We can get hung up on the idea that its some kind of slight (mistake) to prefer a different board, OR we can be conduits to each other, openly offering more options to new aviation forum users while all remaining dedicated to our one common interest.

You decide.

That's not to say there's anything "wrong" with this board. We simply chose to start our own instead.

There obviously is if they find us so abhorrent they have to have their own place.

Ok, I said it nice...

... i'll say it not so nice just to get your attention...

ENOUGH

Read my previous post above this one.

No more bashing, no more personal comments. People have their preferences, and that's it. DON'T make more of it than it is, it just reflects badly on you.

We do NOT want to have to close this thread.

Actually, I missed a second question mark in that post you were responded to. I didn't mean to definitively say that's why the board was formed. So I apologize for that.
Apology accepted.
It should have been a question - is that the reason? So someone could be their own boss? Because that's what it looks like.
That is most definitely not the reason. The vast majority of PB members are refugees from the red board, not from here. And the vast majority of them have not heard of PoA I suspect. And frankly, and this pains me to say this, some simply were not made to feel welcome here. There is the sense among some that the "back porch" environment proclaimed here is a bit to stratified, if you get my meaning. Sort of like 'well, come and hang out on the porch, but the chairs are reserved'. But that's OK. Each forum has it's own personality.

The PB was started from within a yahoo news group that was formed by a group that wanted to just talk about everything, not just aviation. Like Tom said, we were constantly being told, "if you don't like the rules here, go start your own forums", so we did exactly that. And now we are catching flak from the very same people that told us to go away, for going away. We wanted an aviation forum that placed the emphasis on "community" rather than aviation. We did not start the PB because we wanted to "be our own boss". We started it because we felt that a different moderating style would yield a community spirit that was/is lacking at the forums we were pushed from. And so far, it's working exceedingly well, and that's OK too. This is still America, and we can each make our own choices. But we shouldn't be trying to belittle someone for making a different choice regardless of the reasons for doing so.

As for me, I still visit all three boards. They all have something to offer, and I will not fault anyone for choosing not to participate on one board or another. But being a moderator at the PB, I spend most of my time there obviously.

Folks, I've got no beef, and as far as I know, none of the other MC members have any beef either, with the founders of the purple board.

We run (EMPHASIS ON *WE* - I may be the most public but I am part of a group) these forums a particular way. TPB runs their forum another way. That's great! Different communities cater to different preferences, and more power to them.

We're all pilots. The message boards aren't in competition. The founders of TPB wanted a forum that was more relaxed than AOPA, and did things differently than we do. Excellent - that means if you're a pilot and like low, high, or bi-wing models, you've got choices.

This is a GOOD thing! We can get hung up on the idea that its some kind of slight (mistake) to prefer a different board, OR we can be conduits to each other, openly offering more options to new aviation forum users while all remaining dedicated to our one common interest.

You decide.

That's exactly how I feel Chuck.

Thanks Frank, you're the first to give me any details on the history, I was unaware of the yahoo tie in. It just looked like the blue board wasn't good enough for the red board exodusees from my end. Not that this is my board by any means, but I felt slighted for the management council here even if they don't for all the work they put in.

Last edited:
Apology accepted.

That is most definitely not the reason. The vast majority of PB members are refugees from the red board, not from here. And the vast majority of them have not heard of PoA I suspect. And frankly, and this pains me to say this, some simply were not made to feel welcome here. There is the sense among some that the "back porch" environment proclaimed here is a bit to stratified, if you get my meaning. Sort of like 'well, come and hang out on the porch, but the chairs are reserved'. But that's OK. Each forum has it's own personality.

The PB was started from within a yahoo news group that was formed by a group that wanted to just talk about everything, not just aviation. Like Tom said, we were constantly being told, "if you don't like the rules here, go start your own forums", so we did exactly that. And now we are catching flak from the very same people that told us to go away, for going away. We wanted an aviation forum that placed the emphasis on "community" rather than aviation. We did not start the PB because we wanted to "be our own boss". We started it because we felt that a different moderating style would yield a community spirit that was/is lacking at the forums we were pushed from. And so far, it's working exceedingly well, and that's OK too. This is still America, and we can each make our own choices. But we shouldn't be trying to belittle someone for making a different choice regardless of the reasons for doing so.

As for me, I still visit all three boards. They all have something to offer, and I will not fault anyone for choosing not to participate on one board or another. But being a moderator at the PB, I spend most of my time there obviously.

Frank,
I actually enjoy the "purple" board. But the "management" needs to make up their mind. Tom says one thing and you say another.
No one here except for ED is "bashing" the purple board, and I THINK most are enjoying it.
But lets stop the bashing on BOTH of them, they both have their place.
So all of us that wish to can enjoy them both.
Just my .02

Mark B

Back