So, this just happened (THAT was close!)

MrAviator180

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MrAviator
After my first night landings (Whoop whoop!)..

I was told by my CFI to park by the fuel pumps because he had to gas the (New, fresh paint) '64 172E up for the next student.

So we parked. And we later find out, that the next student cancelled their appointment.

So now, I have a new job: Start the airplane up and get it back to its usual parking spot at the flight school.

I did the startup procedure and began taxiing

I looked as hard as I could before getting on a uncontrolled taxiway at this class D airport. No sign of lights. No sign of any airplanes, no nothing. I did have a few planes in my way that were parked.

I moved on, giving it a few more looks. I parked the airplane and jumped out. Upon getting out, my CFI said "Did you see that?"

Me: "See what?"

CFI: "That airplane."

Me: "What airplane?"

CFI: "The one you almost hit?"

Me: "No?"

At this point, I'm feeling like a complete idiot...

CFI: "You almost got nailed by a Navajo.."

Me: "Did he have his lights on?"

CFI: "He did once (something) " (Said something like that, it was hard to hear him because we were putting covers on the airplane.)

I don't really know. :nonod:

I swear, if I didn't see him, his lights had to have been off. I've seen several Navajos blast by at ~15-20 kts on this uncontrolled section between the company's 2 facilities with no lights on at all but the beacon.

In the mean time, I'm glad it didn't actually happen... But I still fell like a COMPLETE idiot.

CFI: "He did once (something) " (Said something like that, it was hard to hear him because we were putting covers on the airplane.)

I don't really know.

Sounds like you should ask him to repeat what he said so you can understand what happened and prevent something similar from happening again.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Learn from it and move on. This will stick in your mind a while though, try not to dwell on it. Back right after I got my drivers license I almost pulled out in front of a dark SUV doing at least 50 MPH (in a 45) on a foggy morning. Would have probably seriously injured my brother on the side that would have hit if my brother hadn't spoken up. 11 years later and I still remember.

Just remember if you do hit someone that, just like a car, don't admit fault and make sure everyone is okay. Also, renters insurance is your friend.

Perhaps the CFI should have indicated the obstacle BEFORE the near collision occurred. If a CFI said that to me he or she would likely be no longer in my employ.

From the post it looks like the instructor witnessed the close call from outside the airport. I would ask the instructor what he saw and what he said . Could help to calm your nerves.

At first, until you become accustomed to looking for things like a pilot looks for things, you will find yourself not actually seeing things that others see, such as other airplanes, or even airports from a distance. Start practicing by trying to beat your instructor to the punch like in a game, learn to spot the threats before your instructor does, make sure your instructor is in on the game. Always announce out loud when you see it.

Even after your ticket, keep the game going by getting your passengers in on it, this art of looking and seeing. It takes practice all of the time. The more you practice, the better you will become.

As mentioned above, a near miss might as well been by a mile, it means nothing. Not seeing that near miss does mean something though....work at learning to see.

-John

Sounds like you should ask him to repeat what he said so you can understand what happened and prevent something similar from happening again.

Sounds good.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Learn from it and move on. This will stick in your mind a while though, try not to dwell on it. Back right after I got my drivers license I almost pulled out in front of a dark SUV doing at least 50 MPH (in a 45) on a foggy morning. Would have probably seriously injured my brother on the side that would have hit if my brother hadn't spoken up. 11 years later and I still remember.

Just remember if you do hit someone that, just like a car, don't admit fault and make sure everyone is okay. Also, renters insurance is your friend.

Yeah, it sounds like he didn't have his taxi or nav lights on. I would've spotted either one right off of the bat...It was at night, too. Must've been a mechanic ferrying the airplane over to the other hangar.

Perhaps the CFI should have indicated the obstacle BEFORE the near collision occurred. If a CFI said that to me he or she would likely be no longer in my employ.

I was alone in the airplane, I was moving it back to the parking spot by myself. Yeah, he could've been helping out a little bit more. Such as helping me with where to go? It would've been nice, but I'm not going to hold anything or throw a fit.

From the post it looks like the instructor witnessed the close call from outside the airport. I would ask the instructor what he saw and what he said . Could help to calm your nerves.

Will do.

At first, until you become accustomed to looking for things like a pilot looks for things, you will find yourself not actually seeing things that others see, such as other airplanes, or even airports from a distance. Start practicing by trying to beat your instructor to the punch like in a game, learn to spot the threats before your instructor does, make sure your instructor is in on the game. Always announce out loud when you see it.

Even after your ticket, keep the game going by getting your passengers in on it, this art of looking and seeing. It takes practice all of the time. The more you practice, the better you will become.

As mentioned above, a near miss might as well been by a mile, it mea ns nothing. Not seeing that near miss does mean something though....work at learning to see.

-John

I'll start with that! Sounds good, thanks for the advice!

Agreed -- might not have been ATC involved, but 91.123(a) is still good advice in this case.
When a pilot is uncertain ..., that pilot shall immediately request clarification ...

It's not unusual to not spot something like that if you're not used to the sight picture at night, especially when there is a bunch of 'back scatter' light. Once you are more familiar with night operation you'll start looking at the patterns of lights and noticing things by what lights are missing, such a a break in a row of taxiway lights or all of a sudden you lose a light from a building. It's the 'moving missing spot in the lights' that you notice first.

Once you are more familiar with night operation you'll start looking at the patterns of lights and noticing things by what lights are missing, such a a break in a row of taxiway lights or all of a sudden you lose a light from a building.

And if the threshold lights suddenly disappear on final, what does that mean? :yikes:

......Upon getting out, my CFI said "Did you see that?"

Hmmmm.. Was there even a plane on the ramp you almost hit???:idea:

The CFI might be yanking on your chain....

After my first night landings (Whoop whoop!)..

I was told by my CFI to park by the fuel pumps because he had to gas the (New, fresh paint) '64 172E up for the next student.

So we parked. And we later find out, that the next student cancelled their appointment.

So now, I have a new job: Start the airplane up and get it back to its usual parking spot at the flight school.

I did the startup procedure and began taxiing

I looked as hard as I could before getting on a uncontrolled taxiway at this class D airport. No sign of lights. No sign of any airplanes, no nothing. I did have a few planes in my way that were parked.

I moved on, giving it a few more looks. I parked the airplane and jumped out. Upon getting out, my CFI said "Did you see that?"

I don't really know. :nonod:

I swear, if I didn't see him, his lights had to have been off. I've seen several Navajos blast by at ~15-20 kts on this uncontrolled section between the company's 2 facilities with no lights on at all but the beacon.

In the mean time, I'm glad it didn't actually happen... But I still fell like a COMPLETE idiot.
Talking about a problem while putting on covers does not constitute a post-flight briefing. Your instructor should already be in the habit of going over those areas where you need additional instruction. Seeing another aircraft that he thinks you almost hit ought to be high on that list. Ask your instructor to go over the situation with you. And then, consider whether you are getting the best instruction you need from him. Are you having your questions answered? Are you getting information that corrects problems you are facing? Does your instructor instill confidence in you and in him (her)?

Yeah, I had a CFI who like to liked to yank my chain occasionally... but after I figured it out, I didn't pay much mind to his BS.

However, since it's bothering you, you should ask him to elaborate on what he saw.

Back