So THAT'S what I heard...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My wife and I were enjoying breakfast this morning (at the same restaurant Dave Taylor and Spike Cutler and I went to a few weeks back), when I heard a loud, brief sound... I turned to my wife and told her it sounded like a plane had crashed!

Just found out what that sound was....

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10052690/detail.html

Troy Whistman said:
My wife and I were enjoying breakfast this morning (at the same restaurant Dave Taylor and Spike Cutler and I went to a few weeks back), when I heard a loud, brief sound... I turned to my wife and told her it sounded like a plane had crashed!

Just found out what that sound was....

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10052690/detail.html

Fhew! I thought someone farded....

cool troy

*wish i could hear a sonic boom*

We used to hear them all the time when I was a kid in Eastern MA. But that was the 60's.

Arnold said:
We used to hear them all the time when I was a kid in Eastern MA. But that was the 60's.
Me too! I grew up in Pensacola, Fl and we'd hear them all the time.

BTW, a few years ago I was driving my son to school one morning and the space shuttle was due to land at KSC at about that time. It happened to be coming in from a mission that had it flying in a very highly enclined orbit to the equator, and I was telling my son that we may hear the sonic boom. No sooner than I said that....BOOM BOOM! It was awesome!

Last edited:
Arnold said:
Ditto. Eastern Ma. 5 miles from NAS So Weymouth. Boy, I miss those sounds.

Well i've heard them too, lived in flight path of Olmstead Air Force base in Harrisburg Pa. And yes i miiss that sound also,but dont miss fixing windows in the house.
Dave G.

Ya'll haven't heard sonic booms with REAL excitement!!

November 27th, 1992 (I was 7) there was a small rebelion in my country (Venezuela). To sum it up, several Bronco planes took off early in the morning to bomb key places in the capital (Caracas, population 5 million) where I lived. They got to bomb some targets before they were intercepted by loyal F-16's.

The dogfighting actually occurred right over the city, and we were taking it all in from out balcony in the 24th floor (some 200+ high). It was all too impressive. We could see one of the buildings that had been hit in the distance, with some smoke coming out of it, and then the loud zooming of the jets. Exciting and scarry at the same time.

One Bronco was shot down in the city, the other right outside of it, curiously, using 20mm. I don't know why they didn't use AA missiles...

Several months before there had been another rebelion, this with infantry though...

The full story of what I saw here, but in spanish, too long to translate it all:

http://www.fuerzasmildom.com/articles_content.cfm?articuloID=35

Scroll to "27 de noviembre"

Last edited:
A sonic boom from a Thunderbird blew out the rear windshield from my wife's Mazda in 1988. The jet was practicing for an airshow at Luke Air Force Base near Phoenix, AZ. The Air Force paid to replace it.

"Maam, that's the sound of freedom!":)
ApacheBob

tonycondon said:
cool troy

*wish i could hear a sonic boom*

For the last few years, we could expect them on any sunny day. The F-22's are assembled in Marietta, GA., and Chattanooga was under the test flight corridor. Many many sonic booms. If I was quick enough to get outside, I could usually find the very fast moving contrail.

They've now changed the flight corridor, and we only hear one every few months or so.

Back