So now I get to be super lazy.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Had a glitch on the comm side of the 430 a couple weeks back and took it to the avionics shop. They said it had to go back to Garmin after looking at it. Since the bench charge is almost 30% of the WAAS upgrade, and 2020 is coming anyway, I figured I'd get the upgrade. So that's done. And now that a lot of the fields have LPV approaches, I never have to plan my descents. I just dial in the approach and fly the GS all the way down.

I feel like less of a pilot already.

Well, I follow the CDI which is bright yellow.

One thing I found out I don't like about the W upgrade is that I have to turn the terrain notice off. I was out Saturday about 50' off the water cruising up the Lake Michigan shoreline -
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
"#$*$&*@ @*($*@ @(!)!$&!!!"
Button push, button push, button push.

One thing I found out I don't like about the W upgrade is that I have to turn the terrain notice off. I was out Saturday about 50' off the water cruising up the Lake Michigan shoreline -
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)

That always gets me on final if I don't have the airport on the flight plan.
Forces ya to use their gizmo or be startled.

Well, if you're 50 feet off the deck, a terrain warning is pretty reasonable....

But it IS a bit sensitive. I've had a 430W spout off 1/2 mile from Sutro Tower during a VFR B transition. If I were IMC, I'd be in serious trouble, but that's fine VFR. That obstruction is extremely obvious, and if you can't see it, you may need one of those red tipped canes.

I've actually turned off the terrain notice. I have a larger display to give me terrain warnings that's also a WAAS unit - just not FAA certified. And that database gets updated way more often.

Now I just have to remember to bring my data card home with me every time, because I really don't feel like spending $250 for a $2 card.

TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)

Flying in the hills with terrain alert active can also be somewhat bothersome.

TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)
TERRAIN ALERT (CLR)

Super fun when you're flying a float plane

And now that a lot of the fields have LPV approaches

Isn't it good to know now that wherever you are, if the weather gets truly awful you're going to be able to shoot an approach safely even if ceilings are at 200 feet? There are a whole lot more LPV approaches than ILS approaches.

Just swap it out for a KNS-80. I know a guy in KS who may be pulling one out of his 414...

Back