so much for October

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
just canned my last flight for this month. My CFI is leaving for Holland day after next (family trip, he's from there) and won't be back til November 6.

I flew ONCE in October. once! we had scheduled something like 7 flights! ugh!

no wonder this is all taking so damn long.

woodstock said:
just canned my last flight for this month. My CFI is leaving for Holland day after next (family trip, he's from there) and won't be back til November 6.

Take a spin with somebody else to stay more current until he returns...

October has been a bummer month. I flew the beginning of the month and last Wed. I usually try and get up once or twice a week in addition to the weekends. October was a bummer.

Where do you fly out of? Woodstock? NY?

I fly out of JYO. yesterday was such a tease! sunny day, but windy as all get out.

Dave, the chances of having decent weather (that meshes with my sched) are pretty slim. this week is shot (sched wise) for me. not sure about next week yet.

it's not all bad I guess, I took all of last winter off (it was almost 5 months by the time the weather settled down, once I started scheduling again) and I didn't do too badly after all that. I made a TON of progress this summer and I hope I get to fly at least 2x a month this winter.

my previous instructor took a lot of little vacations .. just one reason he is my previous instructor.

now i have one that is available often, .. but it's been overcast/drizzly in southern ca for over a week now... if nothing else, i'm learning a lot of patience when not flying. :)

Or...
Tell your CFI he shouldn't be taking NO steeeenking vacations 'till you're done !

woodstock said:
I fly out of JYO. yesterday was such a tease! sunny day, but windy as all get out.

Dave, the chances of having decent weather (that meshes with my sched) are pretty slim. this week is shot (sched wise) for me. not sure about next week yet.

it's not all bad I guess, I took all of last winter off (it was almost 5 months by the time the weather settled down, once I started scheduling again) and I didn't do too badly after all that. I made a TON of progress this summer and I hope I get to fly at least 2x a month this winter.

If you're still going to Las Vegas soon, hook up with a flight school out there and get some time in. The weather out here in NV and AZ is just about perfect right now for VFR flying.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Or...
Tell your CFI he shouldn't be taking NO steeeenking vacations 'till you're done !

yeah, but part of the problem are all my vacations too - ha ha!

Just since June 04:

France/Switzerland, June 04.
San Francisco July 04
London/Rome November 04
Vegas in December 04
Florida in March 05
the Great Pacific Northwest, July 05
New Zealand August 05
and erm, Vegas again, December 05.

I won't list 06 yet.

so I don't think he will sympathize. I almost went on this trip too (he invited 30+ AMERICAN family and friends along, it's a huge anniversary party - apparently a few folks from the school are going - sounds like a massive party over there!)

man, listing them makes them seem like I'm on vacation all the time. I'm not, I swear! It seems like I never leave my desk.

so I have a lot of blame for why I don't have a license yet. and weather. dang weather!

...or do what I did. Use vacation time to do the training. Got the majority of it done in a month.

woodstock said:

Just since June 04:

San Francisco July 04
London/Rome November 04
Vegas in December 04
Florida in March 05
New Zealand August 05

I won't list 06 yet.

so I don't think he will sympathize. I almost went on this trip too (he invited 30+ AMERICAN family and friends along, it's a huge anniversary party - apparently a few folks from the school are going - sounds like a massive party over there!)

man, listing them makes them seem like I'm on vacation all the time. I'm not, I swear! It seems like I never leave my desk.

so I have a lot of blame for why I don't have a license yet. and weather. dang weather!

Oh...

nevermind...

N2212R said:
...or do what I did. Use vacation time to do the training. Got the majority of it done in a month.

in 06 I will have even more vacation time earned, so I just may do that. or keep an eye on the weather and take off a day here and there and get in more hours (taking an entire week off here could backfire - it could be a bad weather week).

Sorry to hear 'bout your troubles Beth. I agree, sounds like you should do some flyin while vacationin.

If it makes you feel better, I haven't gotten much time in this month and I own two planes!! One's down for maintenance and the mechanic has disappeared. The other is cleaned up and listed with a broker--if I fly it, gotta clean it all up again!

Best,

Dave

woodstock said:

Just since June 04:

San Francisco July 04
London/Rome November 04
Vegas in December 04
Florida in March 05
New Zealand August 05

I won't list 06 yet.

:hairraise:
Yikes, just what is you do for a living? Do you work for a European owned company? I get 3 weeks, and never get to take them all. It's frowned upon to "let the team down". So we try to take time off when it has the least impact on "company operations". It sucks, but hey, it beats looking for another job at age 50 with my qualifications.......
Besides I get to travel to exotic locations and look at their freight railroads. (Hint we rarely get to the "right side of the tracks").

Dave Siciliano said:
Sorry to hear 'bout your troubles Beth. I agree, sounds like you should do some flyin while vacationin.

If it makes you feel better, I haven't gotten much time in this month and I own two planes!! One's down for maintenance and the mechanic has disappeared. The other is cleaned up and listed with a broker--if I fly it, gotta clean it all up again!

Best,

Dave
Amen, Dave.
Mine came out of annual in June, and has less than 3 hours on it since.:(

woodstock said:

Sorry to hear, must be crappy weather. I've been pounding on the IR pretty good, 8.4 in August, 10.5 in September, and 13 so far this month.

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

maybe I should have taken a full week in Vegas! sounds like a full week of good weather...

Keith Lane said:
:hairraise:
Yikes, just what is you do for a living? Do you work for a European owned company? I get 3 weeks, and never get to take them all. It's frowned upon to "let the team down". So we try to take time off when it has the least impact on "company operations". It sucks, but hey, it beats looking for another job at age 50 with my qualifications.......
Besides I get to travel to exotic locations and look at their freight railroads. (Hint we rarely get to the "right side of the tracks").

I work in telecoms. actually, I've been in this field since 1998 (making me an old timer) and I've never ever had an issue with getting the time off I've requested for various vacations. the above isn't even my "annual vacation" record however most stateside vacations are 5 days or less (i.e. weekends plus a few work days) and I also try to have vacations around major holidays so I can max out the time I have off. not to mention holiday weeks tend to be a little slower anyway.

I will say though - the only time I've had vacations much longer than 2 weeks a pop was when I was in between jobs. asking for anything longer (at one time) is a little tricky. taking a severance package to run amok for a while definitely helps. :cheerswine:

Back