So... is this the 430 beater?

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Look at this.

WAAS certified GPS.

So... would we be able to use this with an iPad and ForeFlight for flying IFR mode Golf? interesting question, no? could be an excellent solution for smaller, cheaper aircraft (the ones a lot of us fly). Crazy thought, maybe, but... what do y'all think?

WAAS certified is much different than IFR certified. The AppAero is a nifty device but there's nothing special about it. My car GPS has WAAS.

Short answer is no. It's not certified so it won't make an aircraft /G.

WAAS certified is much different than IFR certified. The AppAero is a nifty device but there's nothing special about it. My car GPS has WAAS.

Oh! I always thought (based on what my PPL instructor told me) that it's the WAAS thing that makes it all so special.

WAAS allows vertical guidance on GPS approaches, so it's a good thing. But having a GPS certified for IFR operations is different altogether - it involves all sorts of electrical and interference testing, and is one of the reasons an IFR GPS costs so much.

WAAS allows vertical guidance on GPS approaches, so it's a good thing. But having a GPS certified for IFR operations is different altogether - it involves all sorts of electrical and interference testing, and is one of the reasons an IFR GPS costs so much.

Common misconception, WAAS not required, Europe has no WAAS....

Not positive but talking to them (some European pilots) it sounded like it.They are developing their own enhancement system as well, so that should be interesting.

We do, and EGNOS is the Euro name for WAAS :)

As far as Switzerland is concerned, the objective is 70% PBN approaches by 2014 and 100% PBN by 2016, in accordance with ICAO A37-11. Then again there aren't that many IFR airports around :D

So, are EGNOS and WAAS different names for the same tech, so that a 430W with the appropriate database works and gives vertical guidance in Europe?

I'm missing something. The device in the link is just a weather add on as far as I can tell.

I'm missing something. The device in the link is just a weather add on as far as I can tell.

Left out of the press release is that the device is also a WAAS GPS.
http://www.appareo.com/cat/primarymenu/products/stratus/
Built-in WAAS GPS–turns ForeFlight into a moving map navigator, including sectional and IFR en route charts, even optional geo-referenced approach plates.

As mentioned elsewhere, not IFR certified but will negate having to add a bluetooth external GPS to non-3G/4G iPads.

You are missing something - it's also a GPS receiver and sends both the ADS-B feed AND GPS position info to Foreflight.

So, are EGNOS and WAAS different names for the same tech, so that a 430W with the appropriate database works and gives vertical guidance in Europe?

Yes, EGNOS and WAAS (and the other russian and asian SBASs) work exactly the same and are mutually compatible.

Ok I reread the description. Probably not something I'd be that excited about until iPad/Foreflight becomes a legal enroute or approach GPS. Mobile weather isn't all that important out here in the West Coast, at least for most of the flying I do.

Ok I reread the description. Probably not something I'd be that excited about until iPad/Foreflight becomes a legal enroute or approach GPS. Mobile weather isn't all that important out here in the West Coast, at least for most of the flying I do.
That IFR stuff is never (for nearly all values of never) going to happen to the portable devices.

Inflight weather is very useful when you take X/Cs of several hundred miles in any direction, since you become more careful to cross frontal boundaries (which mean change).

Neither are required for LPV though IIRC.

If you don't have WAAS / EGNOS capability (no geometric vertical guidance) then you'll be limited to an APV Baro approach and will have to stick to the LNAV / VNAV decision altitude - as opposed to the LPV decision altitude.

Neither are required for LPV though IIRC.

LPV or LP approach requires WAAS or compatible SBAS (Space Based Augmentation System) and the receiver has to be TSO C145/146AR (AR - any revision) or equivalent and installed for IFR IAW AC20-138A/B. To fly the LP approach minimums, the AFMS and the software revision must permit it. As of today, the WAAS G1000 software and AFMS does not support the LP approach type and Jeppesen does not currently support the database to code these types of approaches.

An RNAV approach with LNAV minimums may be flown by an aircraft with a IFR certified GPS (non WAAS) TSO C129A or equivalent. The certified TSO C145/146AR receiver installed for IFR use in an aircraft and may also fly RNAV approaches with LNAV/VNAV minimums. The LNAV/VNAV approach may also be flown in an aircraft equipped with Baro-VNAV approach capability.

Last edited:
I just wanted to let people know the Sagetech Clairty ADS-B Receiver will offer an alternative to Stratus. Full disclosure, I work at Sagetech, a company that’s been delivering aviation product for the UAS (drone) community for over a decade.

Clarity development is in its final stages, and our website isn’t even up yet (look for it in June). Still I thought I’d post just to let you all know about Clarity, which is comparable to Stratus, except Clarity is much smaller. Here’s a link to a preliminary web page http://sagetechcorp.com/clarity

The Sagetech Clarity ADS-B Receiver will be offered in three variants:

Clarity Base is pretty much equivalent to the Stratus (978MHz ADS-B Receiver, WAAS GPS, WiFi connection to the iPad), except it a much smaller and convenient unit, and it has longer battery life. Also, whereas the Stratus and other receivers don’t offer TIS-B traffic data, the Clarity will pass along whatever traffic it receives. There are some important subtleties about this though-read on.

Clarity Plus is a dual channel ADS-B receiver, WAAS GPS, WiFi to the iPad 9hrs battery life. Essentially, it adds a 1090MHz TIS-B traffic receiver to the baseline unit.

Clarity SV has all these feature (dual ADS-B receiver, WAAS GPS, WiFi, mondo battery) and also has AHRS for use with Synthetic Vision. WingX EFB software has Synthetic vision already.

Mechanically, Clarity has a simple power button and like Stratus, Clarity’s antennas are all internal to the unit. But Clarity is much smaller and takes up much less dash space. It is also very carefully designed and although it’s not TSO’d, it does meet applicable TSO MOPS (minimum operational requirements).
Pricing will be less than Stratus for the comparable base unit. We haven’t set final pricing so we can’t post that info yet.

Clarity is compatible with windows and android based tablet computers as well as iPad, and won’t be exclusive to one EFB package like Stratus is. We are working with several EFB software providers and expect wide acceptance.

One difference is that Clarity will pass along traffic reports received from FAA ground stations, or received directly from aircraft broadcasting ADS-B out using a 978MHz UAT, or 1090MHz Mode S transponder (Plus and SV dual channel models). Appareo Status and NavWorkPads don’t pass along traffic, Clarity and SkyRadar do. This is important if you’re flying an airplane equipped with an ADS-B out transponder which will be a requirement by the year 2020.

But it is very important to note that traffic isn’t transmitted by default by the FAA ADS-B rebroadcast ground stations so for the most part traffic won’t be very useful unless you’re squawking ADS-B out. Maybe that’s why Stratus just says no to TIS-B traffic data and avoids any confusion. At any rate, Clarity gives you the data it receives without filtering out traffic.

Here are some pics of a Sagetech Clarity prototype I took at Sun n Fun next to the Stratus and Pads receivers:

Back