So I'm really curious

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Decided to invest in an ANR set, and settled on the zulu2.

Been looking around to find the best price, and literally everywhere they sell for the retail $900.

How come? is there no competition in this space at all? it almost feels like price fixing or collusion.

it almost feels like price fixing or collusion.

That's exactly what it is.

You might be able to find a vendor in Canada that will sell for less. I know this is true for garmin products, the canadian vendors aren't subject to garmin's price fixing contracts like the US vendors are. I have bought two garmin handhelds from a Canadian vendor for far less than US pricing.

Last edited:
The vendor agreement does not allow for competitive pricing thus preserving margins on the devices and removes the 'free' from free market. This is a very common thing for a lot of businesses, not just LightSpeed.

Wait, what? isn't that illegal in the US?

I thought this has been true for at least a century. Sherman, Miles and all that.
The Sherman Act does not apply as there is not attempt to monopolize the market. A vendor agreement with between vendor A and seller B does not preclude seller B from also seller vendor C product.

The Sherman Act does not apply as there is not attempt to monopolize the market. A vendor agreement with between vendor A and seller B does not preclude seller B from also seller vendor C product.

I'm so confused. I thought vertical price fixing - which is precisely what Lightspeed is apparently doing - is illegal. Maybe it's on a state-by-state basis.

I guess a letter to the California AG is in order.

But putting that aside, anyone knows of a coupon or something that can be used in any of the online stores for something like "discounts off your entire order" or some such? are these even common in this niche?

I'm so confused. I thought vertical price fixing - which is precisely what Lightspeed is apparently doing - is illegal. Maybe it's on a state-by-state basis.

I guess a letter to the California AG is in order.
?
Well before you write that letter, make sure you understand about minimum advertised prices and resale price maintenance. The SCOTUS overruled Miles on the issue if this was illegal in 2007.

Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc., Slip Op. No. 06–480

Last edited:
One cent shipping or buying used is about the best discount you'll get, I wouldn't waste much time with worrying about it, you can vote with your checkbook if you want and buy something else.

Hey, if folks want to sell their products with a decent margin and have found a way to keep folks from giving their product away, why get angry?

Ryan

If you want to save a few bucks, I am extremely happy with my Lightspeed Sierra's. Still has great ANR, Bluetooth interface, and Music input. I'd highly recommend considering them if you haven't purchased already.

Hey, if folks want to sell their products with a decent margin and have found a way to keep folks from giving their product away, why get angry?

Ryan

I think the beef is that both the retail shops have their hands tied and the consumers don't have much of an option to shop around. I wasn't aware that LS was doing the same thing as Garmin, I don't own a Garmin product due in part to their decision to market this way. If it's more profitable for them to enforce the price policy and lose a bottom feeder customer like me, that's their prerogative and I'm free to not buy from them, that's mine.

I think the beef is that both the retail shops have their hands tied and the consumers don't have much of an option to shop around. I wasn't aware that LS was doing the same thing as Garmin, I don't own a Garmin product due in part to their decision to market this way. If it's more profitable for them to enforce the price policy and lose a bottom feeder customer like me, that's their prerogative and I'm free to not buy from them, that's mine.
I know that in aviation that David Clark does it too.

I know that all of the major scuba equipment suppliers do it as well. I am willing to bet that Apple does it, based on the prices I see for their stuff in the retail market place. It is not all that uncommon.

I know that in aviation that David Clark does it too.

I know that all of the major scuba equipment suppliers do it as well. I am willing to bet that Apple does it, based on the prices I see for their stuff in the retail market place. It is not all that uncommon.

Oh, Im just a cheap ass, my wife told me yesterday that every stitch of clothes I have came off the clearance rack, I buy the lunch special even when its only $0.25 cheaper and I want something else. I bought my handheld GPS on black friday special last year. I have to shop around and fool myself into thinking I got a deal.

Who's angry?

Limiting competition artificially is considered a problem in a free market. Vertical price fixing is considered illegal for a reason (although apparently it can now be considered on a case-by-case basis, based on the link provided by ScottM), at least on the federal level.

I am just surprised, is all.

In many cases the agreement only references the price at which the product can be advertised, not the price at which it must be sold. I have purchased many Garmin and Bose products for much less than the publicly advertised price.

Decided to invest in an ANR set, and settled on the zulu2.

Been looking around to find the best price, and literally everywhere they sell for the retail $900.

How come? is there no competition in this space at all? it almost feels like price fixing or collusion.

I'm thinking about an ANR myself. What made you "settle" on the Zulu 2? Where did you do your research to arrive at the decision that this was best for your needs?

Signed
Overwhelmed Headset Shopper.

I'm thinking about an ANR myself. What made you "settle" on the Zulu 2? Where did you do your research to arrive at the decision that this was best for your needs?

Signed
Overwhelmed Headset Shopper.

Oh shoot. I read about a dozen comparative reviews, customer opinions and so on... reached the conclusion that it's either that or the Bose, and this one's $300 cheaper.

Oh shoot. I read about a dozen comparative reviews, customer opinions and so on... reached the conclusion that it's either that or the Bose, and this one's $300 cheaper.
Did you try any of them on?

Seriously, if you have not done so, do so before buying and get the one that fits YOU the best. Don't get one that fits someone else. For instance the Bose do not fit me well, but I find the David Clarks to be very comfortable while others do not. The Zulu fit me, but if I turned my head the earseal would break open and the noise would be very loud.

What Scott said... try them on.

Bose and David Clark are painful on me.
I've flow with a range of LightSpeed products - all have fit comfortably.

I use an in-ear headset now and can't imagine going back to a traditional headset.

FWIW, I think the entry-level LightSpeed ANR headset is a tremendous value - good ANR and very good passive protection (for when the batteries run out) that is not found in higher-end models. An even better value is to get the store-branded version of this headset - much cheaper.

I think the beef is that both the retail shops have their hands tied and the consumers don't have much of an option to shop around.
This is obviously very false. Consumers have a lot of options: Flightcom, David Clark, Bose: all at very different price points.

What Scott said... try them on.

Bose and David Clark are painful on me.
I've flow with a range of LightSpeed products - all have fit comfortably.

I use an in-ear headset now and can't imagine going back to a traditional headset.

FWIW, I think the entry-level LightSpeed ANR headset is a tremendous value - good ANR and very good passive protection (for when the batteries run out) that is not found in higher-end models. An even better value is to get the store-branded version of this headset - much cheaper.

And this is called????

I got skycom anr's from aircraft spruce. Gel ear and crown pads and I'm happy for under $250. Hard on batteries, but the $650 I saved over the lightspeed buys a lot of them.

Did you try any of them on?

Seriously, if you have not done so, do so before buying and get the one that fits YOU the best. Don't get one that fits someone else. For instance the Bose do not fit me well, but I find the David Clarks to be very comfortable while others do not. The Zulu fit me, but if I turned my head the earseal would break open and the noise would be very loud.

Well, sure, but where on earth would I be able to try aviation headsets on? it's not like I can walk into a store somewhere... seems like this sort of purchase is limited to online.

Well, sure, but where on earth would I be able to try aviation headsets on? it's not like I can walk into a store somewhere... seems like this sort of purchase is limited to online.
There must be aviation supply stores in the Bay Area that you can walk into and try on headsets. If not you could always find one and make it a flying destination. There are two here at Centennial Airport in Denver which are next door to each other but I think that's unusual.

There are some shops in the South Bay. I forget what they are called but if you contact one of the FBO's at perhaps Palo Alto airport or San Carlos airport they may know.

I saw a pilot store at an FBO in Napa too but it did not seem that extensive.

The one I am thinking of (Bob's?) has an online store so you can be sure they have a good selection, then call them to make sure they have them in the store, then drive to the store.

I don't have $900 but if I did I sure as heck would try things on before I bought them!

Seems you guys on the left coast get all the cool toys.

In the end, I ordered the Zulu2 today through mypilotstore with the $50 from Lightspeed holiday special.

Flying toys are expensive.

Kinda late for Online. but in case others search here later....there used to be a distributor that allowed you to order, try on any you fancied, and return (yes you pay shipping) those you didn't care for. I remember opening up multiple boxes on the sofa here, wife and I trying them all out. Ended up with the Bose. They fully credited all the others.
Could search for the store if desired.

Selling my LightSPEED Zulu original model headset. Excellent condition, comes with LightSPEED hard case also in excellent condition.

Just trying to downsize a little bit.

Email me for details, I will pay shipping costs. I'm based out of KPJC, but, will ship anywhere.

$600.

Back