Snowmobile suit?

1200AGL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
I'll soon be headed to glider camp at W99 near Petersburg, WV to get some mountain wave experience under my belt. Their wave window goes up to 23,000 feet, though it is going to be brutally cold in that unheated glider cockpit no matter how high I manage to climb.

I'd much rather spend money on tow fees than clothes. Does anyone know where I can find a good deal on an outer layer suitable for that environment? I'm thinking a one-piece suit of some kind. My google-fu is failing me for some reason...

^^^^ +1

A heated vest will do wonders in keeping you comfortable. Not only will it keep you warm, but you can turn it off an cool off, when too hot. The guys that use them for motorcycle trips love them.

This looks pretty serious, to -60
http://www.northernoutfitters.com/

Otherwise, if you want reasonably priced work clothes, including overalls and bibs with quilted linings that are good in very cold conditions, Carhartt is the brand that farmers and outdoor workers all buy around here.

As for electrically-heated stuff, I use it on my motorcycle and it is superb for that purpose -- it keeps me toasty warm -- but my bike has a 40 Amp alternator, and the OP was talking about something to wear in a glider, right?

Last edited:
Don't forget ebay. Lots of good deals on snowmobile suits there and they tend not to get much wear before people get tired of them.

Thanks everyone. Electric socks may be the way to go...

I happened into my local Wally World today and they had these Wall coveralls on clearance for half off. Couldn't pass it up. They're big enough that I can wear a few layers underneath, and my ski coat will fit over them if needed.

This looks pretty serious, to -60
http://www.northernoutfitters.com/

Otherwise, if you want reasonably priced work clothes, including overalls and bibs with quilted linings that are good in very cold conditions, Carhartt is the brand that farmers and outdoor workers all buy around here.

As for electrically-heated stuff, I use it on my motorcycle and it is superb for that purpose -- it keeps me toasty warm -- but my bike has a 40 Amp alternator, and the OP was talking about something to wear in a glider, right?

Some of that electric riding gear has provisions for battery pack

anything you can do to stay warm will be worth it. multiple layers etc. all good advice.

have fun at the wave camp and please let us know how it goes!

Paul Pilots of America has an annual fall flyin at WV62 Windwood Flyin Resort just over the ridge to the north of W99. Its a great and beautiful spot and I encourage you to check out their onsite restaurant Amelia's Landing. If you run into Joe Beam, the owner tell him howdy from Pilots of America!

There are some good videos of wave soaring at W99 on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1H3q18cqE

have fun at the wave camp and please let us know how it goes!

Will do!
I'm excited to lose my mountain wave virginity. Several people have told me stories about how nasty the rotor can be. I'm a little apprehensive about that, but I'll have the whole week to practice flying through it.

Paul Pilots of America has an annual fall flyin at WV62 Windwood Flyin Resort just over the ridge to the north of W99. Its a great and beautiful spot and I encourage you to check out their onsite restaurant Amelia's Landing. If you run into Joe Beam, the owner tell him howdy from Pilots of America!

There are some good videos of wave soaring at W99 on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1H3q18cqE

Adam, Thanks. I'll pass your message on if I get the opportunity.

I've piloted about ten snowmobiles thus far and buy all snowmobile gear from Dennis Kirk online. Fast shipping too and clearance section can't be beat.

Kimberly

I've piloted about ten snowmobiles thus far and buy all snowmobile gear from Dennis Kirk online. Fast shipping too and clearance section can't be beat.

Thanks. Will keep them in mind for the future. I bought insulated work coveralls for this trip. We'll see how they work out this weekend if the wave gods provide.

Back