Snow Covered Signs

BUFlash

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BUFlash
Hey Gang,

Long time lurker first time poster. I'm a private pilot with about 110 hours. I'm planning a flight into KBDL tomorrow. I've never flown into Class C before, so this will be my first time. I'm pretty comfortable with everything except for the fact that KBDL has several NOTAMS published about obscured signs due to the massive amount of snow we've gotten here. I'm wondering if any folks have ever had any experience traveling to an unfamiliar airport where many/most of the signs are obscured. If so, is the tower usually pretty helpful with progressive taxis that don't necessarily reference taxiway numbers? I wonder if it will be just too confusing for me for my first time at a busy Class C. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Flying!

BUFlash

Hey Gang,

Long time lurker first time poster. I'm a private pilot with about 110 hours. I'm planning a flight into KBDL tomorrow. I've never flown into Class C before, so this will be my first time. I'm pretty comfortable with everything except for the fact that KBDL has several NOTAMS published about obscured signs due to the massive amount of snow we've gotten here. I'm wondering if any folks have ever had any experience traveling to an unfamiliar airport where many/most of the signs are obscured. If so, is the tower usually pretty helpful with progressive taxis that don't necessarily reference taxiway numbers? I wonder if it will be just too confusing for me for my first time at a busy Class C. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Flying!

BUFlash

down load this info print it out and use it as the signs.

be sure your wing tips are higher than the snow banks.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBDL

Hey Gang,
Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Flying!

BUFlash
I've never been to KBDL but most larger airports (class B & C) normally have taxiway markings painted on the ground as well as the normal signage.
Just relax and remember if in doubt ask for verification.

Have fun, Fly safe.

I've never been to KBDL but most larger airports (class B & C) normally have taxiway markings painted on the ground as well as the normal signage.
But if there is enough snow to cover the signs the painted markings on the ground will be covered as well.

But if there is enough snow to cover the signs the painted markings on the ground will be covered as well.

If they are currently getting fresh snow then yes the painted markings would be obscured as well.
But I was looking at it from the perspective that the signs have been plowed under leaving the pavement exposed.

If they are currently getting fresh snow then yes the painted markings would be obscured as well.
But I was looking at it from the perspective that the signs have been plowed under leaving the pavement exposed.
I guess I'm used to being in places where they don't plow the taxiways that well, that is all the way down to dry pavement, especially when there is that much snow. Frequently the runway is snow covered as well. I don't know about KBDL but I'm sure they have a tower to give you progressive instructions.

Some great responses already. Thanks very much folks. I looked at the satellite image on Google and it seems there are runway markings on the taxiways, so that should help a bit. And judging from the airport diagram, it's not the most complicated airport around. Seems like I'll be ok. I'm planning to visit the New England Air Museum. Hopefully a cure for my cabin fever :wink2:

Some great responses already. Thanks very much folks. I looked at the satellite image on Google and it seems there are runway markings on the taxiways, so that should help a bit. And judging from the airport diagram, it's not the most complicated airport around. Seems like I'll be ok. I'm planning to visit the New England Air Museum. Hopefully a cure for my cabin fever :wink2:

Pictures of the trip are a requirement here. :)

It's pretty straightforward. BDL controllers are great and will give you a progressive taxi upon request. They use runway 1/19 as a taxiway so don't be surprised if they have you join runway 19 to taxi south to the TAC ramp if you land runway 24 (assuming that's where you're parking).

Don't venture too far south... the FSDO is on the southeast side adjacent taxiway lima. :D

Hey Gang,

Happy Flying!

BUFlash

Like others have said your right on target just request progressives. Class C is no biggie

Pictures of the trip are a requirement here. :)

Yes they are!:thumbsup:

Progressive instructions only work when you can see signs or some references. If the snow is obscuring everything just tell the tower you can't see the signs. They'll figure something out, perhaps even sending a Follow Me truck.

Progressive instructions only work when you can see signs or some references. If the snow is obscuring everything just tell the tower you can't see the signs. They'll figure something out, perhaps even sending a Follow Me truck.
Well, progressive can be as simple as "turn left at the next intersection", which works just fine without signs. But I fully agree with murphey. If something isn't clear, just stop, tell them that, and let them guide you. Don't forget, though, that you're PIC, so if they tell you to turn down a taxiway where you see your wings aren't going to clear the snow, just say "unable!" That's not likely to be a concern, however, because they've undoubtedly been handling much larger planes than you!

Or, we can meet up at KBAF for much cheaper fuel and great grub. I'll be there about 10ish. Hang on - the winds may be a bit stiff tomorrow.

I ended up canceling due to turbulence. My faithful passenger (my wife) wasn't up for bouncing all the way there. Wouldn't have been as fun without her. Did you end up flying?

Back