Smart Car

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
I saw a U.S. licensed one in my client's parking lot yesterday. I didn't know they were legal here, but evidently company named Zap is modifying them to meet U.S. regs. 60 MPG! But they cost $25K which I think is a lot for waht you get.

http://www.zapworld.com/cars/smartCar.asp

I saw one of these at an air show in NH and I have to say they were getting just as much attention as the restored aircraft on display!

RotaryWingBob said:
I wonder if that would fit in the 4' x 8' cargo box on my pickup? Maybe I could carry one as a spare :dunno:

Bet you could. There is something cute about them. But for $25K I'd rather have a Mini.

Anthony said:
Bet you could. There is something cute about them. But for $25K I'd rather have a Mini.

I know the mini is now made by BMW and is much better than the originals. But I had one of the original Austin ones and they were big POS (Pile and piece is what the 'P' stands for).

I can't get over those memories and would not want one ever again. To me it is like buy the "New and Improved Pinto", can't go there.

Daimler's Smart still to decide on US market

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:04am ET
spacer.gif

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler's (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) Smart minicar unit has not yet decided whether to enter the U.S. market, a spokesman for the unit said on Saturday.
"The decision has not happened yet," he said.
Der Spiegel magazine reported in a preview of its Monday edition that the new Smart ForTwo, which will enter the market in 2007, will also be sold in the United States.
Daimler Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche said in an interview with Germany's Capital magazine earlier this month that the company was looking for a partner that could help sell the ForTwo minicar in the U.S.

Zetsche reiterated in the interview that the group was in favor of selling the car in the U.S. market but said a final decision would come this month.
Sales have been hurt by falling demand for the Smart ForFour, which it will scrap from its range.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

why wouldn't they be legal here? too much pressure for the oil industry? ;)

Steve said:
Think E P A

are you saying these engines make more emissions? I would have thought a nation full of cars using 1/3 the petrochemicals would emit a lot less pollutants.

Wasn't Candice Bergen one of the first to have one here? ;)

(stirs the pot, ducks, runs fast for cover)

Let'sgoflying! said:

I would think it more likely that they don't meet all the US safety standards for crashworthiness, restraints, etc. The problem with these minicars is getting runover by a SUV. They're little more survivable than being on a motorcycle.

ZAP's own website:

The 2005 model year Smart Car Americanized for ZAP is the nation's most fuel-efficient all-gas turbo-powered car with a fuel economy rating of 40 miles per gallon for city and freeway driving, according to the EPA testing lab in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

The Smart Car Americanized for ZAP currently complies with regulatory requirements in all states except California and four other states.

I'd be willing to bet the "Americanized" version has emissions controls that cut down the "60 mpg" rating in Europe.

U.S. has different specs than Europe for lots of things about cars. Any car you buy that is built to European specs won't be legal here and vice-versa. The cars servicemen buy in Europe are built to U.S. specs or they couldn't bring them home. They can be driven in Europe under the Status of Forces Agreement. I had an 83 Honda Prelude bought in Germany to European Specs. It stayed there. Since I was "on the economy" (non-military or DOD), I couldn't have registered a car built to U.S. specs.

There's a ton of different specs that impact any cars imported into the US. EPA is part of it, safety is another, bumper damage requirements, impact ratings, etc, etc.

But for $25K I'd rather have a Mini.
Ditto :D

I know the mini is now made by BMW and is much better than the originals. But I had one of the original Austin ones and they were big POS (Pile and piece is what the 'P' stands for).

I can't get over those memories and would not want one ever again. To me it is like buy the "New and Improved Pinto", can't go there.
For the record, the company was bought by BMW and is now referred as MINI (all caps ;) ). Liz bought her Cooper last year, and we've loved it. It is much more comfortable and safe than the original, and is up to BMW standards as far as quality is concerned. My only suggestion to anyone planning to purchase a MINI is that if you are over 5'5", get the sunroof option. Otherwise you're going to sit a bit back from the line at traffic lights to be able to see them.

The 2007 MINIs are supposed to get a significant boost in power since BMW is moving from their joint venture with Chrysler to Puegeot with turbochargers (the S will also have a supercharger). The turbocharger will boost the MINI from 115hp to 143hp, with the Cooper S being around 170hp.

I'm wary about seeing what changes they make to the design, but I'm not too concerned since MINI has proclaimed their original design a success, and will probably not attempt to change it (at least the exterior look) anytime soon.

wbarnhill said:
with the Cooper S being around 170hp.

YEAH BABY! I love the MINI. I used to rent the orginal Austin Mini Cooper in London and was always ammzed that you could get 4 adult people in them. The old British Leyland anti-quality control killed them and all the other British marks. Sigh.

Anthony said:
YEAH BABY! I love the MINI. I used to rent the orginal Austin Mini Cooper in London and was always ammzed that you could get 4 adult people in them. The old British Leyland anti-quality control killed them and all the other British marks. Sigh.

Of course, if you really want some power behind it, they are selling a limited edition GP with 214hp :) Only a little over 400 being sold in the US. Downside? No paint options, two seats. :)

Witmo said:
The problem with these minicars is getting runover by a SUV. They're little more survivable than being on a motorcycle.

That isn't much bigger than my motorcycle. (≈7.5ft x ≈3ft) The only difference is it has 4 wheels so you can't dump yourself quite as easy though it probably suffers in the high performance emergency maneuverability department. As far as SUV's are concerned..bumpbump...road kill goo.

IMO: Great idea to cut down on the silly overkill nonsense going on here. Real world: We're in a navigator/hummer society in this country. Other than a novelty item or $35+/gallon gas hike overnight, it's just not going to happen here.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
IMO: Great idea to cut down on the silly overkill nonsense going on here. Real world: We're in a navigator/hummer society in this country. Other than a novelty item or $35+/gallon gas hike overnight, it's just not going to happen here.

If you want 35 to 50 mpg there are plenty of good used cars that get that, and I've noticed there is a brisk market for them lately. No need to invest 20 or 30 grand. Heck, our full-sized Hummer-eating GMC pickup gets 27 all day long (diesel) and burns waste oil to boot.

The small diesel does even better. But I'm keeping that in the barn until fuel gets REALLY high.

Let'sgoflying! said:
No, Dave, they are simply not that great as cars, the market doesn't really want them and, hence, the manufacturer has not spent the time and effort to certify them and establish as support network for them.

The fuel mileage is not appreciably greater than many other small cars (Jetta, Corolla, Civic, you name it), but they are dramatically less safe in collisions with full-sized automobiles. In addition, performance is inadequate for most US use.

They are exceptionally well-adapted to use in very dense urban areas, but most people whose travel is limited enough to such areas don't use cars anyway; they use the well-developed public transport which typically exists in dense urban areas.

The Smart has never been a success in Europe, either (oh, they've sold some, but never enough to make it a viable product in its own right).

Opportunism, nothing else. If I wanted to get a really economical car right now- fuel mileage a primary deciding point- I'd get a VW Jetta with the direct-injection turbo diesel (TDI). Great performance, roomy, comfortable and super real-world mileage.

Last edited:
Back