Small Aircraft down near KBMG

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
Just received a text alert about a small aircraft crashed while on approach to the Monroe County Airport, Bloomington, IN (KMBG)

Not sure what type of aircraft it is yet..

I hate to hear this.. I flew into there earlier this year and it is a bit tricky at times when there is gusting winds and alot of buzzards lurking around the runway.

I hope they survived but looking at the pic of the smoke, I'm not sure.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/small-plane-crashes-near-bloomington-airport

I listened to the audio archive for KBMG and I hear a 5160W calling the tower saying he was 7 miles out with a low fuel pressure indication. He said he was high so getting to the airport wouldn't be a problem. about 5 minutes or so later the tower tried to call him several times (he must have seen the smoke)

I looked up that tail number and it says its a 1995 HURRICANE ? What is that ?

Very sad.. hope the pilot and passengers are ok ...

Last edited:
A Cherokee 140 has a fuel pressure monitoring system?? None the less, I concur that scene and the ATC transcript is not conducive to survival.

The first site I looked the reg # up on said it was a 140..but FAA site says it was a "Hurricane" ?? I'm guessing an Experimental ?
(The 140 has a Fuel Pressure Gage)

I have attached a clip of the edited Radio Traffic..

Attachments

• Edited3.MP3
    3.9 MB · Views: 331
I wouldn't fly it

hurricane.jpg

RIP

Hy-Tek Hurricane II if I had to guess.

It appears both aircraft were owned by the same person in CO. I believe the crash involves a Piper Cherokee. There is a FA track dated April 2014.

This N# was reserved on 11/6/2013 for two years, so assuming he has bought the Cherokee recently. They are saying two men on board.

Witnesses noted engine was on fire and loud popping. A fuel leak could cause low fuel pressure, fire and lean mixture after-firing.

Another one recorded on live atc...NOT declaring an emergency. He was not sure he had a problem with just low fuel pressure. He said he was high and would not have a problem making it. Being high and on fire is usually a very bad combination. Verify a fire by doing a 360. If you see smoke trailing behind you, get the fuel shut off and get it on the ground now. Don't try to make the airport. We just had another one of these a few weeks ago on Long Island in a 182 with two very lucky gentlemen.

Last edited:
If that's the plane pictured above, seems he could of safely set down most anywhere. If it was a real fire, maybe forget the airport. Yes I know, somewhat easier in hind sight.

If that's the plane pictured above, seems he could of safely set down most anywhere. If it was a real fire, maybe forget the airport. Yes I know, somewhat easier in hind sight.

Down there around Bloomington is mostly wooded areas. News said it was indeed an ultralight.

Down there around Bloomington is mostly wooded areas. News said it was indeed an ultralight.

They indeed say that at the end of the news video but, if it was, then it wasn't like the one shown in post #9 though. The news video linked in post #1 clearly shows a spam can wing in the weeds at the 1:12 mark.

It appears both aircraft were owned by the same person in CO. I believe the crash involves a Piper Cherokee. There is a FA track dated April 2014.

This N# was reserved on 11/6/2013 for two years, so assuming he has bought the Cherokee recently. They are saying two men on board.

Witnesses noted engine was on fire and loud popping. A fuel leak could cause low fuel pressure, fire and lean mixture after-firing.

Another one recorded on live atc...NOT declaring an emergency. He was not sure he had a problem with just low fuel pressure. He said he was high and would not have a problem making it. Being high and on fire is usually a very bad combination. Verify a fire by doing a 360. If you see smoke trailing behind you, get the fuel shut off and get it on the ground now. Don't try to make the airport. We just had another one of these a few weeks ago on Long Island in a 182 with two very lucky gentlemen.

If I may suggest, if you think you might have a fire while in the air, GET ON THE GROUND ASAP.!!! Then look for a fire after egressing the plane. The time wasted to do a standard rate 360 might be the difference between living and burning to death.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back