Slot Reservations

R

RobertGerace

The good news is: I'm going to LGA next week.

The bad news is: I'm going to LGA next week. :)

It appears I need a slot reservation.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice about getting there and actually being allowed to land? (Get there on time comes to mind...) ;)

Slot res required, call as soon as the window opens. Frax operators will take everything they can. Departure delays can be as much as 30-45 minutes.

If you're arriving daytime, the fees are pretty stiff. Call and make sure AvGas is available, IIRC some of the Port Authority airports require prior arrangements for fuel.

There is a reason that (most of) the corporate guys go to TEB. TEB's really not any further from Midtown.

RobertGerace said:

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice about getting there and actually being allowed to land? (Get there on time comes to mind...) ;)

I've only used reserved slots a few times such as into AirVenture and going to SLC for the Olympics, but each time everything worked out fine. On the longer trips I did pad my arrival time with an extra ten or 15 minutes figuring I'd be better off early (can always hold or slow down), than late. Are you familiar with the online reservation system? Also be aware that there have been times when some operators have gobbled up all the slots just in case thay might need some. I don't know if that problem has been addressed yet.

WX permitting go VFR no slot required. WX not permitting get online or by phone when window opens. Failing that, and as slots get turned back, check back closer to departure.

RobertGerace said:

Slot reservations are to my way of seeing it, another way to deny IFR service to the small GA operator. The fractionals have a phalanx of ladies sitting on the computer(s) wiating to enter every tail number in the fleet. Then, when they actually know who is going to go, the cancel one while the lady at the next terminal is ready to press "enter" on the replacement tail request for the same slot. Wham! Bam! no slots are ever available.

Beware the LGA landing fees. They will make your maintenance look cheap. It's $80 per 8 hours on the ground after the landing fee, too. There's a departure fee for leaving between 7AM and 11:00 p.m. and it's hefty. This airport is so near my inlaws, but I just can't do it.

Flushing used to be nice and I think it was long enough for you light twin drivers, but alas it is long gone.

Just be sure to apply the philosophy from your March 11 post (see below) at LGA and carry lots of gas to hold until they can work you in.

As to the visual, based on this thread I've come to a new way of thinking -- posted in a much eariler post. From now on, to heck to 'speeding up the system' I am going to request the approach even in VMC.

How is TEB? What kind of drive is it to "Long Island City, NY" (which is not on Long Island, but actually 3.7NM from LGA)? I think TEB is like 8.7NM from "Long Island City" but didn't want to find out that was 8.7 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic that won't move.

RobertGerace said:
How is TEB? What kind of drive is it to "Long Island City, NY" (which is not on Long Island, but actually 3.7NM from LGA)? I think TEB is like 8.7NM from "Long Island City" but didn't want to find out that was 8.7 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic that won't move.

Depends on time of day. Really. Morning rush will be a problem. Afternoon rush will be a problem.

You'll have two tunnels, and you'll need to cross Midtown. TEB - Lincoln Tunnel - cross Midtown (city streets) - Midtown Tunnel - LIC. Probably 30 - 45 minutes on a good day.

If you choose LGA, you have the slot issue, the departure delays, and potential traffic issues, too. Plus the costs. But if the expressways are totally hosed, you can still take city streets.

Or you can go into Islip or Republic and take the train. I think LIRR stops at LIC.

You sure don't pick the easy ones, do you? ;)

BTW, Long Island City really is on Long Island. Not by much.

Why not just borrow a seaplane and land in the East River? Just make sure you avoid the floatsam. :D

TEB is very busy. Go there and be ready to mix it up with everything under the sun that flys. Please bring your A game to TEB cause the airspace is very crowded and the controllers have just plain run out of patience with just about everyone. Please read the departure procedure completely. Apart from that, the folks at Million Air and Atlantic are really nice. Take a car service from the airport to wherever you want to go. All of them, and the FBO's are happy to help you pick one, know thirty ways to get you somewhere.

My daughter lives in the Upper East Side in Manhattan. I was wondering if White Plains-HPN would be a better option visiting NYC than TEB? I fly a Cherokee 180.

RobertGerace said:

Bob, NYC and surrounding is always like Glue. If you go to White Plains, it's an easy drive until you get to....the GW bridge. If you go to Republic it's an easy drive until you get to 25, Northern Blvd, or the LIExpwy. There's no beating it.

That being said, Million Air at TEB is still the place to go. Arrange a limo to meet you (it's just a scheduleable taxi) from one of the many companies.

Agree with JRClough. Bring your best IFR game. Learn where all the vortacs are approximately. It's SRO in their airspace. The New Yawk Approach controllers are demanding but very, very good.

bharris said:
My daughter lives in the Upper East Side in Manhattan. I was wondering if White Plains-HPN would be a better option visiting NYC than TEB? I fly a Cherokee 180.

I live on the UES. HPN is a 35 minute drive during low traffic periods like Sunday morning, if you know the routes to take. Yes it can be a lot longer at other times. Signature at HPN is pretty GA friendly. HPN is one of those Class D airports where you have to contact Approach first for sequencing, or the Tower will send you to the back of the line.

-Skip

There are several places on the web that use computer based systems that allow you to compete with the rooms full of dispatchers for STMP slots (no help at LGA, JFK, or DCA). Do a google search for "STMP slots" and you will find what you are looking for.
General Aviation airports are not closed to GA aircraft, ya just have to work the system.

Unfortunately I fly into TEB on a regular basis plus other NE corridor airports. In fact I was in TEB last night. For those who have never flown into TEB this is no place to be a little rusty on ANYTHING regarding your flying, ifr skills,radio skills,aircraft avionics skills,stick and rudder skills.. etc. Do a very honest review of your abilities before going to TEB or you could get yourself into a mess. If you have never flown into TEB I would recommend taking another pilot with you who has flown and is proficient with flying into TEB or another pilot that is very proficient with IFR skills and your aircrafts nav aids. Amazingly last night the arrival and departure process was fairly painless. :D

Regarding IFR slots ...I have been trying to get slots today for a trip Monday to ski country..between rooms full of dispatchers and other companies that specialize in obtaining slots it has become a joke. Its very irritating to fly to the airport cancel land vfr and find only a handfull of planes on the ramp yet no slots available. The system is broke and needs to be fixed. My feeling is if you make a reservation and don't show up then you need to be billed for the slot. With the current system you make the reservation and then have it verified within 24 to 8 hours of arrival if not then it is canceled. That means nothing ...only that whoever is obtainig all these slots will confirm that yes supposedly a airplane will show up. If it does not then no big deal for them......yet for a small part 91 operator who's owner has a house at this location can't get in if its IMC at the field ...don't even get me started on slots:mad:

Doug R said:
Unfortunately I fly into TEB on a regular basis plus other NE corridor airports. In fact I was in TEB last night. For those who have never flown into TEB this is no place to be a little rusty on ANYTHING regarding your flying, ifr skills,radio skills,aircraft avionics skills,stick and rudder skills.. etc. Do a very honest review of your abilities before going to TEB or you could get yourself into a mess. If you have never flown into TEB I would recommend taking another pilot with you who has flown and is proficient with flying into TEB or another pilot that is very proficient with IFR skills and your aircrafts nav aids. Amazingly last night the arrival and departure process was fairly painless. :D
Doug, There was also a letter along a similar vein about TEB in the latest IFR Refresher magazine. I'd like to post a counterpoint.
I'm definitely not a high time IFR pilot but flew into TEB twice in the last few months with my flight originating in the Atlanta area. I was single pilot IFR both times, and the weather turned out to be VMC. Frankly I didn't think it was that big a deal. Inbound, I paid attention, had all charts that I might need organized and ready, followed ATC's instructions and that was that. On departure the biggest workload was getting a looong, convoluted clearance from CD, but I just queried the controller until I was certain I had it. I was ready for the Teterboro 5 departure; that's what I got; and that's what I flew.
Frankly, the multiple reroutings by Washnington Center and Potomic Approach around D.C. were much more challenging than being worked into TEB. This would have been virtually impossible and very dangerous for a single pilot operation, in IMC and without autopilot.
So don't necessarily shy away from TEB if that's the best location for you to land. Yes, you need to be comfortable in the system, and the workload may be a little high, but it's not that bad.
(However, the costs and fees at TEB are very scary!)
Photo is little me on the MillionAire ramp at TEB

Lance, I agree that sometimes TEB is not a problem at all. In fact the trip last week was one of those trips when you land and depart and think cheez that was to easy. In fact I was given the TEB 5 departure PARKES J6 Direct...crazy enough upon departure they gave me a few headings and then sent me to an itersection on J6 it was to easy. Unfortunately I have had several times when the weather was bad or traffic load was at capacity and it was a mad house coming and going. Given holds at the last second, changing of approaches at the last minute tower freq so busy you can't get a word in etc. Its just one of those airports that can lull you into thiking hey this is ok then one day bam! it can be a funhouse. I guess I was a little tired when I wrote that response and was not the most positive thing I have done. I have been flying alot lately, flew about 26 hours last week. Glad your flying into TEB I think that is great.:yes: Looks like Millionaire's new building will be open soon. I hope they don't try to run GA out of the airport then the only option for us would be Morristown. :D

Bob, I would go to Republic (FRG) for your trip. For the difference in fees you could have a rental car for a week.
Jon (formerly NY-area)

Guys,
Didn't Bob's question about his visit to NYC take place 9 months ago? One week after March 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM. Why is this discussion still going on? :dunno:

I flew IFR out of TEB one summer afternoon/evening during the height of the thunderstorm hour. During my departure ATC called an opposing direction Lear jet as traffic. Right after I spotted the Lear jet, I heard ATC issue a vector which, according to my Stormscope would send the Lear right through a thunderstorm. A minute later ATC told me to change frequencies. Before I went, I said, "Did you just send that Lear jet through a thunderstorm?" Approach replied, "That's the arrival route to Teterboro. You want to go to Teterboro tonight, you fly through there."

Ouch.

TeenDoc said:
Guys,
Didn't Bob's question about his visit to NYC take place 9 months ago? One week after March 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM. Why is this discussion still going on? :dunno:
And how did a thread about slot reservations turn into a discussion of TEB? Ok, I looked back and read the whole thing. I see. I would pick TEB over LGA any day.

My question about TEB is why do they have VASI on only one of their 4 runways (1)? I think they should at least have it on 19 since their one of their favorite approaches seems to be the VOR-DME A circle to 19.

Last edited:
RobertGerace said:

LGA is on Long Island as well. That whole landmass to the East River is Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Rockaway Beach, all that and to the East. If I was there and used my friends boat, I could get you there in about 15 minutes:D . Lets see, I flew in TEB and was in Glen Cove which is past where you are going, in an hour and 45 minutes with moderate / less traffic. There's also some GA airports out further on the Island if IIRC, and you can probably catch the train in to where you are going. If you want a limo, let me know and I'll get you the number for a really good and reliable guy, I'm not sure of his prices, I never pay him, but he's always there when he's supposed to be, and he's based out Westchester I think it is.

Anyone had luck getting an E-STMP account online lately? I tried with 2 different email addresses and nothing so far. Called in and they seem mystified but will call me back when they have figured it out.

I had issues last year before osh, called the number in the notam and was told it was a known issue. He gave me another phone number, and they were able to fix me up. Somehow I'm unsurprised it still doesn't work.

Back