Sleepfly past the island

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
HONOLULU -- The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating whether two go! Airlines pilots fell asleep during an interisland flight.

The incident centers on a flight on Feb. 13 that did not land when it should have and was out of contact for an extended period of time.

A pilot told KITV one possibility is the crew could have had a radio problem and were unable to receive their assignment by air traffic controllers so they stayed on course until communications were restored.

http://www.kitv.com/news/15347405/detail.html?rss=hon&psp=news

Yeah. That's the ticket. :hairraise:

How long is the loop period on the CVR?

Wake up, note time, start babbling about no comms, lots of switch-clicking and mock radio calls. Comment at length about "...this orderly and meticulous troubleshooting does not seem to be helping. Then, around 5 minutes before loop restart, "...by golly, it's working now!"

Land, bask in glory.

The longest intra-island hop is 45 minutes. They should be able to stay awake. As for the CVR I am sure by now it has been recorded over. They would have had to recover it shortly after landing.

Unless it's one of the new digital CVRs it only has a half an hour lifespan before it gets recorded over. That's why step one after an accident or incident is to pull the CVR breaker. Not to mention there's a big red button next to the CVR controller that erases the whole thing. I suspect if they did fall asleep, the data would have been gone. Digital CVRs has something like 2-2.5 hrs record time and I don't think they can be manually erased, but they're not very common, especially not in regional a/c.

What was the acronym for route to fly in the event of Com failure? AVEF? Or just keep flying straight until it works again. That seems like a good option too.

That one's a hard situation to explain... "Uh.." Don't ya think?

A pilot told KITV one possibility is the crew could have had a radio problem and were unable to receive their assignment by air traffic controllers so they stayed on course until communications were restored.
So, in Hawaii, clearances don't begin with "Cleared to <destination> via ..."?

How long a flight is that for both of them to have nodded off? Man that is an OH Shoot moment. Can you imagine if they piped ATC into the cabin Audio system like United does. There would be some freaked out PAX!

"Ground That Airplane! It is releasing some kind of toxic fumes which overcame us in the cabin!"

The Brit tabloid press headline says the pilots were "sacked," but the story says nothing of the sort:

Dozy pilots sacked after falling asleep and overshooting airport by 15 miles - despite panicked calls from controllers

America's Federal Aviation Administration has launched an inquiry into the incident.

A spokesman for the Arizona-based airline declined to comment until the investigation has been completed.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...ews.html?in_article_id=535868&in_page_id=1811

Gotta love good journalism. :no:

Air Shuttle? Is go! operated by Mesa?

"Air Shuttle" is Mesa's callsign. Go! is just a branch of Mesa, using a different livery based out of HI...otherwise they're the same (it's not operated by Mesa, it is Mesa - just painted all purdy); kind of like Chautauqua/Shuttle America/Republic (right Eamon?).

That makes sense... so it's Mesa dba Go! Airlines, just like they dba US Airways Express (formerly America West Express), and just like ExpressJet dba Continental Express or Colgan Airlines dba Continental Connection or US Airways Express or United Express, right?

Do they all have the ASH flight code?

That makes sense... so it's Mesa dba Go! Airlines, just like they dba US Airways Express (formerly America West Express), and just like ExpressJet dba Continental Express or Colgan Airlines dba Continental Connection or US Airways Express or United Express, right?

Do they all have the ASH flight code?

Indeed. On the radio, or on a scope, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (other than Go! is in Hawaii). But the ICAO for both is ASH, and the callsign for both sides of the house is Air Shuttle. I don't think it's exactly like how Colgan is Continental Connection, Airways Express, and United Express...that's us operating a code share flight on their route, on behalf of a major (our ICAO is CJC no matter what route we're on, and our callsign is always "Colgan"). The major we represent sets the time table and route, though.

In the case of Go! it's a Mesa plane, a Mesa crew, operating a Mesa route, in a Mesa paint scheme...it's just a different Mesa paint scheme. But in essence, I suppose it's just about the same. Either way, Mesa has a REALLY bad reputation in the industry for their practices in crew scheduling, and their observation of rest requirements. Somehow it wouldn't surprise me if they fell asleep.

Mesa S......woops, had to control the reflex....Teller, can I say that on this board without getting in trouble?

Seems like I heard there was another similar occurence of this over there. All hearsay for now, so I won't go into it anymore.
It is a pretty short flight, and maybe things are just REALLY relaxed over there, but all the 20-40 minute flights I was ever in the jumpseat on, things were hopping pretty quickly...not much time for a nap.
Of course many folks are trying to use this to set an example for crew duty times and rest requirements.

Jumpseated on Mesa one too many times. I won't put my family on one if there is any alternative.

Mesa S......woops, had to control the reflex....Teller, can I say that on this board without getting in trouble?
:rofl::rofl: I think it goes without saying.

Seems like I heard there was another similar occurence of this over there. All hearsay for now, so I won't go into it anymore.
It is a pretty short flight, and maybe things are just REALLY relaxed over there, but all the 20-40 minute flights I was ever in the jumpseat on, things were hopping pretty quickly...not much time for a nap.
Of course many folks are trying to use this to set an example for crew duty times and rest requirements.

I dunno, our average segment length is 40-70 minutes. Our shortest is either AUG-RKD or BOS-MHT at about 15 mins. Things on those flight are a little too busy to sit back and relax, but 40 minutes, I think, gives some time to relax between the cruise checklist and the TOD...if the sun is out and the A/P is on, I could see a nap being possible. Especially if the crew did a stand-up overnight (or three), I think 10 minutes with nothing to do would be enough for them to fall asleep.

I've seen a CA fall asleep on a 40 minute leg before...it can happen.

The other possible explanation would be if they had their radio turned down-accidentally or otherwise--and simply didn't hear the calls. However, that is hard to correlate with flying 40 minutes past the island and point of intended landing.

Jumpseated on Mesa one too many times. I won't put my family on one if there is any alternative.

Yep, I had a pos-space revenue ticket on a flight that turned out to be a Mesa flight. I declined, and took my chances non-revving.

As Teller posted a few lines up...they really have a bad reputation. I worked with a great group of employees that felt is was well worth taking the risk to go-it-alone and fight off a Mesa takeover.
Well, for those of you in the D.C. area (and likely other areas too), you know that airline didn't make it much longer, but all my friends have moved on to bigger and better things, and are much happier than if they had given in and had their employment lives run by Mesa.

Back