Sleep Apnea Special Issuance coming up on a year what do I need to do?

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
Question says it all. A little ways out yet my physical with Dr. Bruce was last Feb. Just want to make sure I have enough lead time. Compliance report is no problem I have only missed like one night completely due to traveling and am like 96% over 6 hours.

I normally have my annual physical in September but have pushed it back a little so I can get the Dr.'s notes and such for the SA at the same time and not pay for two visits.

So what are the steps to get this taken care of and a general time frame so I don't lose and flying time for those who have been through it? Is it just easier to pay Dr. Bruce to handle it once I get the paperwork? Any advantage to that?

Question says it all. A little ways out yet my physical with Dr. Bruce was last Feb. Just want to make sure I have enough lead time. Compliance report is no problem I have only missed like one night completely due to traveling and am like 96% over 6 hours.

I normally have my annual physical in September but have pushed it back a little so I can get the Dr.'s notes and such for the SA at the same time and not pay for two visits.

So what are the steps to get this taken care of and a general time frame so I don't lose and flying time for those who have been through it? Is it just easier to pay Dr. Bruce to handle it once I get the paperwork? Any advantage to that?

If your Dr doing the physical is your OSA treating physician - get a note from him that covers all the requirements in the SI letter (under control, compliant, ...)

Dr Bruce will also say to print a compliance report from the machine and to make sure the note says "no evidence of right side heart problems" (or something). The SI letter that I have does NOT say that it a requirement, but in his experience it is something that FAA apparently likes to see.

When you have that info (FAA wants it to be fresh, 90 days or less) - you have several options: If you are due for a new class-xx medical exam, you'll have to see your AME for a regular exam. If not: 1) mail all that info to Oklahoma City and wait for them to send you new medical. 2) Go to your AME and have him issue you new medical. You won't need an exam, just the newly dated medical, and you'll probably have to pay an office fee. My guy wants me to fill out the MedExpress when I do this, even though there is no exam it's apparently the only way to get into the system.

I do option 2 - I'm in and out of his office with the medical in less than an hour. No waiting for weeks or months for OKC to get back.

You should have received a letter from the FAA that states what needs to be done for your next medical. That letter is in the big letter that your are required to carry with you while flying.

I had a SI for a couple years and the letter explained what needed to be done to allow my AME to issue my medical certificate. I did just as the letter stated and on my next medical the SI was rejected because I was now qualified for a normal issue medical.

You should have received a letter from the FAA that states what needs to be done for your next medical. That letter is in the big letter that your are required to carry with you while flying.

I had a SI for a couple years and the letter explained what needed to be done to allow my AME to issue my medical certificate. I did just as the letter stated and on my next medical the SI was rejected because I was now qualified for a normal issue medical.
The requirement to carry the SI letter went away in 2012.
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2012/March/22/FAA-eases-special-issuance-burden

Thanks Matt, time frame is really what I need most. So I have a few options.

The other posts are correct, I would just add that as of June 2013 anyway, you had to submit a CPAP machine report showing that you used CPAP for a recent 31 day period at least six hours a night for something like 29 of the 31 days.

How recent and exactly how many six hour days I don't recall.

I did not have to submit a cpap report for last year nor this year's exam. Letter from my primary noting cpap compliance, efficacy and no symptoms of daytime sleepiness. That data in an annual letter has worked for over 15 years.

I submitted my compliance report to Dr. Bruce along with my letter from my MD regarding my physical. There is specific wording required in the Dr letter. No big deal. Timeframe has to be within 90 days I believe.

I did not have to submit a cpap report for last year nor this year's exam. Letter from my primary noting cpap compliance, efficacy and no symptoms of daytime sleepiness. That data in an annual letter has worked for over 15 years.

My SI letter does not specify a report either, just the compliance letter. Doc Bruce always says to include one and says FAA wants to see it. I suppose the reasoning is that FAA may wonder how the treating doc can be so sure of compliance without that report, so they want to see it too.

I followed the requirements in my letter for nearly 10 yrs without that report, but always have it just in case.

Same with bringing the PCP's status letter, but handing the print out to the AME anyhow. As said above, not really needed, but if it helps make this a continued slam dunk, that's an easy thing to do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back