Sleep Apnea and 3rd Class medicals or BasicMed

So now that you have succeeded in getting a medical certificate, BasicMed will be an option in the future.

...with the special issuance and as expected a long list of conditions that must be met at one year intervals.
Long list? Did you get something different than the rest of us?

Mine said...

Examiners may re-issue an airman medical certificate to airmen currently on an AASI for OSA if the airman provides the following:
• An Authorization granted by the FAA;
• Signed Airman Compliance with Treatment form or equivalent from the airman attesting to absence of OSA symptoms and continued daily use of prescribed therapy; and
• A current status report from the treating physician indicating that OSA treatment is still effective.
o For CPAP/ BIPAP/ APAP:
 A copy of the cumulative annual PAP device report which shows actual time used (rather than a report typically generated for insurance providers which only shows if use is greater or less than 4 hours). Target goal should show use for at least 75% of sleep periods and an average minimum of 6 hours use per sleep period.
Also helps if your doctor comments that you presented bright and alert and that you do not exhibit any symptoms of OSA (e.g. daytime sleepiness or lack of mental attention or concentration).

How in tarnation is that a long list?

Long list? Did you get something different than the rest of us?

Mine said...

Examiners may re-issue an airman medical certificate to airmen currently on an AASI for OSA if the airman provides the following:
• An Authorization granted by the FAA;
• Signed Airman Compliance with Treatment form or equivalent from the airman attesting to absence of OSA symptoms and continued daily use of prescribed therapy; and
• A current status report from the treating physician indicating that OSA treatment is still effective.
o For CPAP/ BIPAP/ APAP:
 A copy of the cumulative annual PAP device report which shows actual time used (rather than a report typically generated for insurance providers which only shows if use is greater or less than 4 hours). Target goal should show use for at least 75% of sleep periods and an average minimum of 6 hours use per sleep period.
Also helps if your doctor comments that you presented bright and alert and that you do not exhibit any symptoms of OSA (e.g. daytime sleepiness or lack of mental attention or concentration).

How in tarnation is that a long list?

Yeah, that's what mine was like too.

As promised, update. Received the 3rd class medical certificate today in the mail, with the special issuance and as expected a long list of conditions that must be met at one year intervals. The list really isn't that long, its just long winded stating that issuance will be re granted as long as I send in the CPAP logs ON OR AROUND the date indicated on a yearly interval. Nice that I can submit that information directly to the field office rather then OKC though.

So total turn around:
Started the process in or around June 30 2018, Special Issuance and 3rd Class Medical received August 10 2018.
That is actually quicker than mine which went straight to OKC. My medical was in mid May (3 months ago). I finally called OKC to check and they said there is quite the backlog on issuing the SI letters. Told me it would probably be a couple more weeks before I see the letter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back