1 year of charts $299
Runs on Windows = Will Crash

ipad2 $500
Bad Elf GPS $100
1 yr Foreflight $75

That Thing $1000
1 year of charts $299
Runs on Windows = Will Crash
It is kind of funny that their comparison chart did not show the most common user setup/competition out there now - iPad2 with Foreflight.

I've had a SkyPad for about 15 months now and it has been good for my needs. It is running Win 7 so I loaded Office and the other software I needed. I can now leave my full size laptop, briefcase etc at home. It saved me 10+ pounds of weight.

I would buy again.

I have had a couple of them now, the first as well as the Skypad2 second generation. I use it exclusively now for my in cockpit EFB, even for long trips such as the multi leg flight to Oshkosh last summer.

The software is mostly stable now, and is quite feature rich.

The plus for me is that I got in on one of their deals which they probably aren't going to offer anymore. I paid $995 for the device, software, and lifetime (my lifetime) data. So for me the breakeven will be reached in a year or so as compared to the iPad.

If I had to buy at this stage of the game if I didn't want/need a windows tablet or netbook: I would buy an iPad and get WingX (or ForeFlight if that appeals to you more). This is mostly around the implementation of a touchscreen and Windows than their software. The iPad is just a more refined experience built for the input method that is used (touchscreen).

One more thing to add for anyone buying a new EFB/Chart replacement. I would personally wait until April for more information on what the subscriptions for all of these are going to cost. That could potentially change the game a bit with regards to these sorts of devices.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back