Skiplane weekend: Hotel choice

Would you rather spend the skiplane weekend at...

• Total voters

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
OK folks... Time to figure some stuff out. Please only vote in this poll if you think there's a chance you might want to come up to Cadillac, MI next Feb to fly Cubs on skis (or just hang with the rest of us).

We've stayed at McGuire's Resort for the skiplane weekend. It's $99/night, they have a bar and an excellent restaurant (which, BTW, is a LOT cheaper than the restaurant at Gaston's - I think breakfast ran about $8 including tax and tip). Nice place. It's a good place to hang out after we're done flying too. There's a pool and lots of other stuff to do for SO's/kids who might not actually want to partake in the flying and hangar talk.

The other option is to go el cheapo. There were four guys who went this route and they all crashed in one room for $80/night (not really that much cheaper!). I heard stories of mold on the walls and snow blowing in under the door when it was closed.

Which would you prefer?

Can you Camp underwing? or sleep on the FBO couches?

Can one land at McGuire's or are cars/taxis needed to landing another site?

Can you Camp underwing? or sleep on the FBO couches?

Camping? In Michigan? In February? You're more of a man than I.

The couch is one of those two-segment jobs, I wouldn't recommend it. :no:

If you really do want to camp at that time of year, I think that would probably be OK. No showers though. :eek: You would have 24-hour access to a toilet anyway. If you seriously want to camp, I'll check into it. I'd suggest you consider splitting a room multiple ways at McGuire's, though. :yes:

yea i suppose splitting a room with 10 others would make it affordable :D

camping - im not too serious about. Just because there are sleeping bags that you can use at the poles doesnt mean I need to use them!

But anyway, If I can make it, I'll be back at school by then, so basically it will be the cheapest possible option for me.

Can one land at McGuire's or are cars/taxis needed to landing another site?

McGuire's is a ways (maybe 10-15 min) away from KCAD. I'm still trying to figure out ground transportation. Most of the folks who go to the other skiplane gathering are from MI, and many of them drive in rather than fly, so we just all share rides. I'll have to do something else for PoA though. :dunno:

McGuire's is a ways (maybe 10-15 min) away from KCAD. I'm still trying to figure out ground transportation. Most of the folks who go to the other skiplane gathering are from MI, and many of them drive in rather than fly, so we just all share rides. I'll have to do something else for PoA though. :dunno:

Wait.. Aren't you a truck driver!? Just get a reefer and we'll build a campfire in the back. :D

Soooo much frozen golf course to land on...
there are resorts that see the logic in that resource.

Soooo much frozen golf course to land on...
there are resorts that see the logic in that resource.

Hmmm, never thought of that.

Of course, with two two-seat airplanes, it'd take a while (and a lot of $) to get everyone back and forth from CAD!

Hmmm, never thought of that.

Of course, with two two-seat airplanes, it'd take a while (and a lot of $) to get everyone back and forth from CAD!

So it sounds like you're thinking maybe as many or more wheel planes as ski planes flying in?

LOL. My Cherokee isn't street legal. You think I meant commute by car?!?!?!

LOL... Sorry. :rofl: I guess I was in that mindset 'cuz a bunch of folks from the other group are Michiganders and drive in for the weekend (in fact, a bunch of them are from your area). I think only two airplanes came in.

So it sounds like you're thinking maybe as many or more wheel planes as ski planes flying in?

I don't know of any ski planes flying *in*... The whole point of this is that all of us wheel-bound folks will go up there to get a chance to fly ski planes! Maybe I should make that more clear...

Heck, if ya wanted, and if my upstairs is finished, and felt like commuting by air, my place is open.

Heck, if ya wanted, and if my upstairs is finished, and felt like commuting by air, my place is open.
But is your runway open to wheeled traffic in Feb?

And to answer the question, I know that Leslie likes Luxury (or as close to it as we can afford). She'll probably vote for Maguire's, and I'll (of course) support her in that.

And to answer the question, I know that Leslie likes Luxury (or as close to it as we can afford). She'll probably vote for Maguire's, and I'll (of course) support her in that.

Yes... I think Ed's will be for the Tony's and Jesse's of the world who spend about 100% of their disposable income on flying.

Hey wait... I do that too. :eek:

Grant -

I live near KGRR, and keep my plane at 9D9 - Hastings. I remotely manage 6Y9. So yeah, it - Hastings or Grand Rapids - will be open to wheeled traffic in February.

Yes... I think Ed's will be for the Tony's and Jesse's of the world who spend about 100% of their disposable income on flying.

Hey wait... I do that too. :eek:

You can use my place too, if need be. I've got 2-3 extra beds, a couch and lots of floor space. And a barn with a few bales of hay(you can snuggle up with the cats or possums) if you want a more rustic experience. :rofl:

I also have guns and lots of ammo if you are in to after flying target practice.

Gladwin is 40nm from Cadillac

Barb

You can use my place too, if need be. I've got 2-3 extra beds, a couch and lots of floor space. And a barn with a few bales of hay(you can snuggle up with the cats or possums) if you want a more rustic experience. :rofl:

I also have guns and lots of ammo if you are in to after flying target practice.

Gladwin is 40nm from Cadillac

Barb
Oh, now that sounds enticing! I haven't done any shooting since YMCA camp decades ago!

Back