Skin cancer - things to know from a FAA standpoint?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
No, don't have a problem.....at least not yet, but as I grow older, I've been thinking about it lately and I figure that sooner or later I will probably be dealing with it.

I grew up as a pasty white kid in Phoenix, AZ.....tried to avoid the sun, but certainly had my share of good burns here and there, plus there is a family history of skin cancer - my grandfather spent alot of time outdoors both as a farmer and later playing golf and in his later years he was constantly having skin cancer cut off his face/nose/ears. More recently, my mom has been having to deal with some of the same stuff. In both cases, the treatments were simply having the cancer cut out - no chemo or any other stuff involved.

So, with that in mind, I have obviously been trying to get informed on what to look for, but being a pilot, I'd like to find out what I need to know from an FAA medical standpoint before going to see a dermotologist should the need arise.

Any thoughts?

I had a precancerous thingy removed from my cheek coupla years ago. Did as Doc Bruce suggested, brought along a doc's letter and path report. AME said, "What's all this for, it's like gettin a mole removed".
Total non-event, for 3 rd class anyway.

Anything you have removed that might be cancerous needs the path report and some statement that "we got it all and no more needs done". Make the AME's life easy.....

Anything you have removed that might be cancerous needs the path report and some statement that "we got it all and no more needs done". Make the AME's life easy.....

That's the way it went for me... very easy (except for how not-fun the procedure was).

Do you basically have to self-ground yourself until the pathology results come back?
I always tell the airmen it depends.

If you are a CFI or have been one, FAA can show that you know where to find 67.113, 67.213 or 67.313. In which case, the answer is "yes".

If you have no proven past study including part 67, you are regulated by 61.53.

Surgeon I went to does the pathology "while-u-wait."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back