Size Matters (Dynon Questions)

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
OK, now that I have your attention, here’s my question: I’m looking at the Dynon HDX series for my Cessna 182. It looks like the 7 inch version can be installed without tremendous surgery on my panel. In contrast, the 10 inch will require major work to make it fit properly. For those of you who have flown with the 7 inch version, is it big enough? Did you regret your decision and later wish that you had installed the 10 inch?

Thanks!

For comparison, here is the 10” G3X Touch install in our 182P. To my knowledge, no major alterations to the substructure were necessary.

63AA1FEF-F5A9-42A0-A6F0-C7D0A654E628.jpeg

Don't have a glass panel. I do fly a lot with a 7" tablet and moving map. That size is good for the map, with my eyes. I can't imagine a 7" with both map and instruments would be big enough, but maybe your close vision is better than mine. (My close vision isn't terrible, I have a class 3 w/ single vision for distance, but I'm not 20, either.)

You will have to cut the panel anyway, and the tray that the screen attaches to holds most of the accessories, saving more time than the smaller hole would save.

OK, now that I have your attention, here’s my question: I’m looking at the Dynon HDX series for my Cessna 182. It looks like the 7 inch version can be installed without tremendous surgery on my panel. In contrast, the 10 inch will require major work to make it fit properly. For those of you who have flown with the 7 inch version, is it big enough? Did you regret your decision and later wish that you had installed the 10 inch?

Thanks!
If your aging gracefully like me, size matters more and more every day. I’m in San Diego if you’re interested glad to show you my two 10” HDXs in my 1962 182. The engendered panel cost a couple k extra but totally worth every penny

Attachments

• 06CAA988-443B-4903-BD6F-FAFD8D2B3AD9.jpeg
    06CAA988-443B-4903-BD6F-FAFD8D2B3AD9.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 58
If your aging gracefully like me, size matters more and more every day. I’m in San Diego if you’re interested glad to show you my two 10” HDXs in my 1962 182. The engendered panel cost a couple k extra but totally worth every penny

John - I'd like to take you up on that! I was at KMYF on Saturday, but can come down another time. Where are you based? Or, do you ever get up to KCMA? If so, Waypoint lunch is on me!

John - I'd like to take you up on that! I was at KMYF on Saturday, but can come down another time. Where are you based? Or, do you ever get up to KCMA? If so, Waypoint lunch is on me!
I’m at KMYF I have a hanger at Coast Aviation to bad about Saturday I was around all day. Come on down we can go up for a real world test, I wish I had the opportunity before hand to settle my buyer nervousness but I could not be happier with what I decided on.

I had 7" displays in my RV7. Fonts were just a hair too small for comfort for my old eyes. Jesse summed it up, "you will always wish...."

Back