Six seater planes

Ugly interior but I'm not after beauty. Function over fashion. That model you posted would be high on my list if the engine time was lower

Some of the later models have jumpseats in the luggage compartment. As someone demonstrated with my favorite turbo-comanche, that does not mean you can carry six adults out of a short strip on a 90 deg day.

A Comanche is payload wise a 4+ luggage plane, you may have to resort to packing in many little bags for optimal use of the cubage. It wouldnt't be great for 4+dogs +luggage.

Last edited:
U get overhaul the engine and still under 100k and know what u have under the cowling. + is a great wait to negotiate the price, pretty ,unchanged price the plane with out engine :yes: he's asking to much and probably know it and is open to drop another 4/6 g out of that price.

Btw I almost bought a Cherokee 180 from Mark at Indy but dint pass the prebuy boy that was a pretty Cherokee with many surprises :no::no:

Out of curiosity who did your pre-buy? I took mine to Josh Groh and was pleased

Interesting comments on the 210. I have seen them but have yet to get inside one. Guess they are not as 6 person friendly as I thought.

and just cause there's six seats.....doesn't mean that they all go....which is why many 6 seat aircraft are really 4+2 planes (4 FAA adults + 2 children).

The exception to that rule is the PA32 series. The one I owned would carry 1550lbs...put 40 gallons of fuel in it and ya still have 1,310lbs left for people and bags. Two regular sized folks would ride nicely in the rear two seats. CG was easy to accommodate...unlike many other 6 place aircraft which require some calculating and the rear seats are really for midgets or children.

Last edited:
Interesting comments on the 210. I have seen them but have yet to get inside one. Guess they are not as 6 person friendly as I thought.
Most 6-seaters are not.

My B55 Baron is a 6-seater and with the exception of the nose baggage, it isn't really any better at hauling 6 than a 210.

In order to give the middle seat pax any leg room, you are pushing their seat back until they rub against the back row.

and just cause there's six seats.....doesn't mean that they all go....which is why many 6 seat aircraft are really 4+2 planes (4 FAA adults + 2 children).

The exception to that rule is the PA32 series. The one I owned would carry 1550lbs...put 40 gallons of fuel in it and ya still have 1,310lbs left for people and bags. Two regular sized folks would ride nicely in the rear two seats. CG was easy to accommodate...unlike many other 6 place aircraft which require some calculating and the rear seats are really for midgets or children.
The club seating is really the only way to fit more than 4 people in a small bug smasher.

The club seating is really the only way to fit more than 4 people in a small bug smasher.
Meh....we weren't that hot with weaving legs...kids don't ride well touching others legs.

Ours was standard seating and had no issues with the second row seat leg room.

The last two seats are the best...in terms of space. Lots of leg room for tall or big folks in the rear most seats of the PA32.

Last edited:
Comanche 260B is a 6 seater, way cheaper than a Cherokee 6, but the ones around have horrible panels, and probably need lot to bring them back, landing gear rebuild is not cheap in the Comanche, but boy they will make you smile

http://www.global-air.com/global/n9259p.htm

Great example here

The 260B-TC I fly has the nicest panel you can get.:lol: the Comanche though it has 6 seats, they are flat on the floor seats in the luggage compartment, so if you put 6 in everyone has their bags in their lap. The PA-32 has much more volume, not to mention the big back doors. The Comanche 260B is like a 210 or the late model 6 seat 35 series Bonanzas, not very practical for 6 people.

Meh....we weren't that hot with weaving legs...kids don't ride well touching others legs.

Ours was standard seating and had no issues with the second row seat leg room.

The last two seats are the best...in terms of space. Lots of leg room for tall or big folks in the rear most seats of the PA32.
I've only seen one PA32 with non-club seating and it looked tight for the middle row, but that was just looking from the outside in.

Did the middle row folks have any legroom? The middle seats are attached over the wing spar.

I've only seen one PA32 with non-club seating and it looked tight for the middle row, but that was just looking from the outside in.

Did the middle row folks have any legroom? The middle seats are attached over the wing spar.
the middle seats are much like any other Cherokee rear seats. Move the front seats up a few inches and all are happy. I didn't have any issues with them....but, the rear seats are where most like best.

attachment.php

Attachments

• pa32-c210-a36 seating comparison.jpg
    pa32-c210-a36 seating comparison.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 158
  • rear seats.JPG
    rear seats.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
the middle seats are much like any other Cherokee rear seats. Move the front seats up a few inches and all are happy. I didn't have any issues with them....but, the rear seats are where most like best.

attachment.php
That first ad that you posted is an excellent depiction of why 210s are NOT 6 seat airplanes.

Loading the back seat is a bit of a procedure as well, sometimes the easiest way is through the baggage door. Even when you split the seats, it doesn't leave room to be graceful.:lol:

So is the A36 a better plane for six people or should I just start focusing on getting checked out in the Aztec? ....or is that really not a 6 person plane either :mad2:

So is the A36 a better plane for six people or should I just start focusing on getting checked out in the Aztec? ....or is that really not a 6 person plane either :mad2:
What is your real question?

Do you really need to haul 6 adults and baggage?

If so, you are probably going to want a larger cabin twin.....or the PC12.

Just because you CAN cram 6 people in a PA32 or A36 doesn't mean you really WANT to.

I have a cessna 205 that I have hauled 6 adults in several times. Nobody complains of being too cramped and it isn't real hard to squeeze everyone in. Not a lot of room for baggage but usually if I'm hauling 6 big people were not going real far for long anyway.like the airlines there is room under the seats and by your feet for small bag. My useful load is close to 1600 lbs. with 4 people you can slide the middle seats all the way back and put your feet up on bag and lay seat back and sleep. Very comfortable. I get about 135kts at 13 gal. Up high much better.

The best 2 seater is a 4 seater.
The best 4 seater is a 6 seater.
The best 6 seater is a King Air.

Wow where did you get this chart. It is Great!

attachment.php

Ok so based on the chart above, looks like the Turbo Saratoga is a viable option for 6 people plus you get the added benefit of telling the passengers that they are flying the the same kind of plane JFK crashed!

Last edited:

How big are the six and how much stuff has to come along? Aztec is an honest six seater, A-36 has limitations, but in general for most people, it does well, you just have to leave some fuel behind if you want to fill the cabin really full. I know a family of six that uses a Chieftain, not one of them is less than 220, 2 are pushing 400, and they travel with the kitchen sink.

In reality, I could get by with any one of the planes mentioned right now. My two youngest are 10 and 8 plus we are a smaller family anyway.

This is all for discussions purposes btw, I don't foresee purchasing a plane for at least a year or two.

Last edited:
It really is the ultimate family plane, and runs on MoGas.

Plus basically no cloth finishes on the inside. Kid gets sick just hose the sucker out. I wonder why you are not supposed to push there?

It really is the ultimate family plane, and runs on MoGas.

FWIW, that particular plane has been for sale for at least a year or two. It is waiting to devour your bank account.

There are good Twin Beech's out there, just not that one.

FWIW, that particular plane has been for sale for at least a year or two. It is waiting to devour your bank account.

There are good Twin Beech's out there, just not that one.

I'm waiting for Jojo Sheble's on floats.

I'd also like a glass nose T-11 or A/B-26 Invader.

Similar situation.

Family of 4 - we have a 182RG great plane for when the kids were small. But now they are getting bigger. It's routine now for me to leave fuel on the ground to make room for more payload. Not a big deal. With the 182RG, we can put in 800 pounds and still have 3.25 hours of flight time plus reserves.

The problem is now the kids start wanting to bring friends! So I'm looking as well. Flew a saratoga and we loved the room. But it was a FG and cruised at 135knots. Hard to go slower! Looking at the Turbo's - but looks like useful load in only around 1000 pounds on those so not sure that's going to work with an even thirstier engine!

Similar situation.

Family of 4 - we have a 182RG great plane for when the kids were small. But now they are getting bigger. It's routine now for me to leave fuel on the ground to make room for more payload. Not a big deal. With the 182RG, we can put in 800 pounds and still have 3.25 hours of flight time plus reserves.

The problem is now the kids start wanting to bring friends! So I'm looking as well. Flew a saratoga and we loved the room. But it was a FG and cruised at 135knots. Hard to go slower! Looking at the Turbo's - but looks like useful load in only around 1000 pounds on those so not sure that's going to work with an even thirstier engine!

I will face this problem some day also. I too have drooled over some of the Saratogas. But I thought they were all RGs? Is that not the case?

I will face this problem some day also. I too have drooled over some of the Saratogas. But I thought they were all RGs? Is that not the case?

There was a fixed wing Saratoga for a couple of years. Cherokee Six with the Saratoga planform wings.

You mean fixed gear? I don't think Piper made and rotary wing Saratogas.

Yes, fixed gear.

Later sold as the 6X or 6XT.

On second thought, I have flown some older sixes where the wing was somewhat loosely attached.

Last edited:
Back