Site to draw a circle around an airport xx nm big?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Made a rubric tonight around CFR 61.129a (commercial single-engine land aeronautical experience required), and pulled out the logbook to see where I stand.

All I have left, other than dual for maneuvers of the rating, is:

• 0.8 solo night, which I'll use to get, specifically, the 10 takeoffs and landings at an airport with a control tower. I probably have those, but can't PROVE it, because several of those night solo flights were at multiple airports, and I didn't log which of the landings were at which airport.... So, since I need about another hour anyway, I'll make a flight specifically to address that requirement.

• The X/C solo of > 300nm total distance, with one of my landings at a point > 250nm from the ODP.

Does anybody know of a site that will draw a circle of a certain "nm size" around a specified lat/long or airport code?

My sectionals and even the whole-country planner charts I have for IFR/VFR break right over the DFW area... it can be done manually, obviously... but, is there a site that will give that to me? OR, where I can ask for all airports that are 255-300 nm away from a given location?

P.S.--I was a bit confused at first by the "at least 300nm total distance" requirement, seeing as going out at least 250nm and back would be greater than 300nm by default! Then I figured it out (I think)... it doesn't say it has to be round trip!! A one-way flight with a total length of 300nm with landings at 3 points, one of which is more than 250nm from the ODP, would satisfy the requirement.

At the bottom:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators

You can enter an airport code in "Location". Try Google Maps as the output. Once the map loads, change the dropdown in the top-right corner of the map to "G. map".

If that's not what you're looking for I'll try to find something different.

At the bottom:

You can enter an airport code in "Location". Try Google Maps as the output. Once the map loads, change the dropdown in the top-right corner of the map to "G. map".

I just ran that based on GVL, NEW, CGI, CPS, GVL.

Instead of NEW, it placed the point some fifteen miles away on the other side of the bridge... a couple miles out in the water! :eek:

I'm glad Google doesn't own Garmin.

At the bottom:

I just ran that based on GVL, NEW, CGI, CPS, GVL.

Instead of NEW, it placed the point some fifteen miles away on the other side of the bridge... a couple miles out in the water! :eek:

I'm glad Google doesn't own Garmin.

You can use the GoFlyAmerica.org site that Nick and Chip created. If you do an airport search you can then choose a radius and it will list all of the airports within X miles of that airport.

You can use the GoFlyAmerica.org site that Nick and Chip created. If you do an airport search you can then choose a radius and it will list all of the airports within X miles of that airport.

That'll do! It lists way many airports than I need, since it includes those INSIDE the 275nm circle, but since they are sorted in order by distance from home base, I can see all that are between 250 and 275 to get a starting list from which to explore trip possibilities. Thanks!

Looks like Independence, KS (KIDP) is 256nm from 52F... I've landed there before on a VERY blustery day in the Mooney. Going there, I could try to get a tour of the Cessna factory (the Mustang and the piston-engine line are built there).

Speaking of which, is anything out of order on this new C172/Lycoming engine install, or is it ready to be cowled? It appeared to me something was left incomplete:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1108520/L/

...you mean the ground strap not yet connected to the negative terminal on the battery?

fuel line steering rod connections prop batt cable airbox drainline capped off another line on stbd side capped off airbox tape I hate the way they pull those ig wires so tight

This is complete overkill, but Faa/Naco's COMPSYS21 software can most definitely to that:

http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/compsys

"The calculations include Forward, Inverse, Segment/Segment, Bearing/Bearing, Segment Distance, Circle Bearing, Circle/Circle, Segment Bearing, and Airport Reference Point."

Why do it the easy way if there's more complicated tools out there? ;)

-Felix

This is complete overkill, but Faa/Naco's COMPSYS21 software can most definitely to that:

http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/compsys

"The calculations include Forward, Inverse, Segment/Segment, Bearing/Bearing, Segment Distance, Circle Bearing, Circle/Circle, Segment Bearing, and Airport Reference Point."

Why do it the easy way if there's more complicated tools out there? ;)

-Felix

Oh great, thanks Felix! Another toy to play with to keep me from re-grouting the shower! ;-)

I've never heard of this software before, thanks for pointing it out...

P.S.--I was a bit confused at first by the "at least 300nm total distance" requirement, seeing as going out at least 250nm and back would be greater than 300nm by default! Then I figured it out (I think)... it doesn't say it has to be round trip!! A one-way flight with a total length of 300nm with landings at 3 points, one of which is more than 250nm from the ODP, would satisfy the requirement.

Bingo. I'm gonna use my return trip from Houston in 2005: EFD->SIK->RFD->MSN. 900nm or so. :)

I actually did the stop&go at RFD simply so the flight would count for the long commercial cross country! :yes:

Bingo. I'm gonna use my return trip from Houston in 2005: EFD->SIK->RFD->MSN. 900nm or so. :)

I actually did the stop&go at RFD simply so the flight would count for the long commercial cross country! :yes:

Exactly! I was thinking the solo return flight from an Angel Flight Mission could work as well, with a couple of planned stops in between, as long as the destination was 250nm or more away, and the two return stops were far enough off course to add up to > 300nm....

Exactly! I was thinking the solo return flight from an Angel Flight Mission could work as well, with a couple of planned stops in between, as long as the destination was 250nm or more away, and the two return stops were far enough off course to add up to > 300nm....
Yup, that's exactly what I did. Also used it as an opportunity to get an airport or two for GoFlyAmerica!

Back