Sirrus SR-22 Parachute Saves 6 (video)

What a great idea taking a three day old infant up with 5 other people in a plane with 4 seats.

I see some cloudy skies & a little terrain. I’ll have to see the flight plan before I can determine the cause. Glad they all made it, though don’t like to see a high $$ plane trashed.

Say what you will in the end I'm glad they had the chute as an option and everyone will live to tell the story for many more years. A million dollar airplane is chump change compared the the fleet of Lawyers that would have gone out for blood had it ended worse.

I remember discussions about the parachute safety systems a couple decades ago when they first came out, and the concern was that pilots would put themselves in riskier situations because they knew they could simply activate the parachute and hopefully land safely.

I certainly have no details about this particular incident, but I often wonder when I hear about parachute activations if the pilot took the easy solution versus considering attempting a restart, emergency landing, etc. After all, a parachute landing is pretty uncontrolled and you have to hope that you land safely.

What a great idea taking a three day old infant up with 5 other people in a plane with 4 seats.

I’ve never flown in a cirrus but I think the newer ones have 5 seats/seatbelts but the 5th seat is mostly meant for kids. 3 days old is really young but I suppose here in the US we have the infant in arms rule until 2 years old, not sure if it applies to GA or not though.

It's worth mentioning that this was in Brazil and the landing was over jungle covered hills. The article didn't mention the altitude at the time of the chute pull, but without much in terms of great emergency landing options, "early and often" seemed prudent here. Was the engine failure preventable? Maybe, but we don't have enough information to assess...

I'd like to see a large airbag hanging under that plane; the landing was pretty jarring.

Back