Sinus polyps

H

Head in the clouds

so I have sinus polyps and had them for quite sometime. Benedryl helps with the symptoms. Like allergy symptoms. I never mention them during my class 3 medical. Flying doesn't bother my sinuses. A matter of fact the higher altitude clears my sinus very well. I think this yeas I want to have surgery to remove them. What does his do to my class 3 medical?

so I have sinus polyps and had them for quite sometime. Benedryl helps with the symptoms. Like allergy symptoms. I never mention them during my class 3 medical. Flying doesn't bother my sinuses. A matter of fact the higher altitude clears my sinus very well. I think this yeas I want to have surgery to remove them. What does his do to my class 3 medical?

Sorry for the typos

My experience is the opposite of poster #2; after surgery 20? years ago they have not grown back.
Treating them locally was a always a temporary thing; you would be constantly using intranasal fluticasone and a) it does not get into the sinus that well b)that stuff does indeed enter your body despite claims of being only a local therapy (documented by my sister, her MD; possibly widely known now).
I have a class II so it has not affected me obviously. Maybe we'll get lucky and doc Bruce will tell us the latest scoop on this.
If you leave it, one day a polyp might obstruct the sinus-nasal passage and you won't be able to clear (ie head crush and forced to lower altitudes/cancelled flight).
I discovered I had them when I ascended in an unpressurized airplane and heard a squealing. I thought it was the mechanical tach as I'd heard that sound before when the previous tach had seized up but this one looked fine. Maybe it was a piece of paper caught in the door seal? I'd heard that before too but did not see any paper. I ripped off the headset, wondering what part of the airplane was about to seize or fly off and discovered the sound was inside me. Sinus air trying to escape past a ball valve into my nasal passage.
I can't say the surgery was a walk in the park, but buck up for it and you will be glad you had it done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back