Sinus Bradycardia

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
I just got my first ECG and had to google the 'finding' on it. Going in for the AME visit later this week.

From a FAA Medical Bulletin, I found this (snip from an article)

If the airman has one of the above
diagnoses on the ECG, you may “clear”
the airman for medical certification. We
will just note this for our records.
If an airman has a sinus bradycardia
rate of less than 50 beats per minute,
we would like you to take a history,
exercise the airman in place, and repeat
the ECG. If able to mount a ventricular
response, she may be cleared.​

So I'm curious. I'm currently within the 50-59 that is allowed to be cleared by the AME, but I'm trying to increase my miles on my bike. Let's say hypothetically next time I do an ECG my beats per minute is under 50. What does it mean by 'able to mount a ventricular response'?

Not an AME Stacey, but I'll answer as an ordinary physician. Sinus bradycardia in the rate range you describe is a NORMAL finding in a fit young person, and I would expect any AME to allow that without a second thought.

Jon

mounting a ventricular response refers to having you do some sort of exercise and repeat the EKG... your pulse should increase somewhat, signifying that you are not in some sort of a heart block. as long as when you exercise your pulse goes up... your good.

That doesn't sound too scary then, thanks guys! :)

Speed, if I get an EKG with a Heart rate of 49 or less, I have the airman do sequential left right leg lifts rapidly for 60 seconds. The EKG invariably runs in the mid 50's after that.

Fit people often have a low resting heart rate. The easy way to differentiate a diseased heart from a healthy one is to exercise the patient. If the heart rate increases appropriately, the low heart rate is normal. If the heart rate does not increase with exercise there is a problem. This is why Dr.Bruce has the patient do leg lifts to get the heart to increase. I often do a regular treadmill stress test to prove a normal heart rate response to exercise when patients are referred to me to evaluate a low resting heart rate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back