Single pilot, IFR, no Autopilot international question

Flyfishingpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KC1
Are there countries that prohibit single pilots IFR flights without an autopilot?

I don't know the answer to your question, but your signature cracks me up! I love it!

Are there countries that prohibit single pilots IFR flights without an autopilot?

I think that Canada has such a requirement for all single pilot IFR flight, but I'm not certain about that. Most countries require an autopilot for SPIFR flight when carrying passengers for hire and when flying an airplane above a certain MGW etc.

I know for sure in Germany: AP with Alt-Hold or 2nd pilot who is rated for IR-communications (yes, we hava a certificate for that).

I guess the same rule applies for the other JAR-members.

Hang on, are we talking commercial ops or private. Most countries do require autopilot or copilot for commercial SPIFR, but I don't know of any that require them for private IFR.

I know for sure in Germany: AP with Alt-Hold or 2nd pilot who is rated for IR-communications (yes, we hava a certificate for that).
That's much the same as the US rules under Part 135 (except the SIC must be an IR pilot, not just a communicator), but I'm wondering along with Tim whether that German rule applies to all flying or just commercial ops.

Back