Single flight rental insurance?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Question - is it possible to get rental insurance for a single flight?

I co-own an airplane at home and have coverage on that. I don't believe that coverage extends to me renting someone else's airplane - I don't have a good way to check that, so I'll assume not.

So now I'm traveling without an airplane, but I'd like to rent and fly. Let's assume I'm already checked out and have access to the plane.

But - I don't want to pay $100+ for a full policy when I'm just doing an hour or two flight to stay current. I don't rent on a regular basis, this will probably be the only time I rent this year.

Thoughts?

Buy a policy, cancel it, and then get a pro-rated refund?

check your policy or call your agent.

my glider insurance policy gives me renters insurance up to the total insured value of the gliders on my policy.

You can either buy a policy, cancel it and get a prorated refund or check your current policy, it probably covers you already, call your agent.

As others have said, call your agent. I understand that many owned policies also cover you while flying in non-owned aircraft. And as far as the pro-rated refund idea, I recall that many of the non-owned policies I've had state that they're 50% used as soon as they're bound, so you can never get more than a 50% refund. (I forget the legalese they use.)

My CFI insurance is 50% used the day I bought it.

Definitely check the policy. Many have been dropping non-owned aircraft coverage to make their rates look better than the competiton, knowing that many folks never use it.

Trying to get the agent, but unfortunately it's arranged on my behalf and I don't have a direct line to the agent. I'm dependent on other owners for contact.

Hopefully I'll get a reply.

Trying to get the agent, but unfortunately it's arranged on my behalf and I don't have a direct line to the agent. I'm dependent on other owners for contact.

Hopefully I'll get a reply.

If you're flying under a policy you don't have a copy of and the phone number of the agent, you're playing Russian roulette.

Fix that.

Thanks for your concern, but that issue is covered. It is not russian roulette, you've made a statement about a situation that you don't understand.

Thanks for your concern, but that issue is covered. It is not russian roulette, you've made a statement about a situation that you don't understand.

Fair enough. I know you don't know the specifics yet of your coverage which must be rectified before turning the key.

Flying without knowing coverage and by that I mean reading the policy, has burnt many people over the years.

Since there's folks here new to the hobby, I said something. Too many flight schools and FBOs make it difficult to get a copy of their actual policy but will say "you're covered". This doesn't help anyone in the long run. (Other than make owners smile and nod.)

Back