Simple Newb PPL Question

95% you're not going to fly that route through the Bravo. Aim for 2G2 Jefferson county to the south west and then turn for Allegheny staying under the Bravo shelf. If you are on with ATC and want to cut through it, the handoffs will be seamless, just make sure that you hear the word "Cleared..." before you enter. The handoff to AGC will be seamless as well. If you really want to go through the Bravo, get the Terminal Chart, the paper one, and look on the back and see where the VFR routes are and set yourself up for one and tell ATC at least 50 miles out and things will work out.

95% you're not going to fly that route through the Bravo. Aim for 2G2 Jefferson county to the south west and then turn for Allegheny staying under the Bravo shelf. If you are on with ATC and want to cut through it, the handoffs will be seamless, just make sure that you hear the word "Cleared..." before you enter. The handoff to AGC will be seamless as well. If you really want to go through the Bravo, get the Terminal Chart, the paper one, and look on the back and see where the VFR routes are and set yourself up for one and tell ATC at least 50 miles out and things will work out.
Excellent, thanks.

Yeah, no worries, by adding 2G2 you go from 177 nm to 181.
I'm not actually departing from TDZ... gotta keep the anonymity upheld... but the heading is similar enough to portray the original question.

I'm not actually departing from TDZ... gotta keep the anonymity upheld... but the heading is similar enough to portray the original question.

Regardless, the difference will be about the same 4 miles or 2 minutes. It's always easier to go under a B than through one. Most of the time they will vector you to a midfield or 'over the numbers' crossing staring at surface ring. You will almost never get a crossing in the approach and departure corridors.

Regardless, the difference will be about the same 4 miles or 2 minutes. It's always easier to go under a B than through one. Most of the time they will vector you to a midfield crossing staring at surface ring. You will almost never get a crossing in the approach and departure corridors.

I've noticed that with the CLE Bravo. I've been going under or otherwise avoiding it as the annoying vectors through it were more trouble than they're worth. Esp when you're 172 slow.

We're leaving in the morning, so with the smooth air maybe I'll just stay under PIT Bravo.

Thanks, again.

I've noticed that with the CLE Bravo. I've been going under or otherwise avoiding it as the annoying vectors through it were more trouble than they're worth. Esp when you're 172 slow.

We're leaving in the morning, so with the smooth air maybe I'll just stay under PIT Bravo.

Thanks, again.

No worries, have a nice flight.

Back