Silly Question Regarding Fuel Draining

HerrGruyere

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Pistol Pete
My buddies want to go for a flight with me. However, they are not exactly thin. All of us come to about 610 pounds (estimated). I only have access to a 172. With full fuel, the plane isn't going anywhere. However, with half fuel, we're good to go.

The real question is getting the fuel out. The school has a deal with the fueling company on the ramp, so they often come by and top off the school's planes without them asking. I've made explicit notes in the reservation to not allow the plane to be filled, but there's no guarantee this will happen (I'm also going to call a few days before and the day of).

Should the plane have full tanks when I arrive, what can I do to drain the fuel (besides fly around)? Since the A&P is likely not on site on the weekend, am I pretty much SoL?

I have my certificate (not license :rolleyes:), but I figured this would be good stuff for future reference. That's why it's in Pilot Training.

Last edited:
get a hose and some certified fuel containers and syphon out the excess fuel. Afterwards, just put it back on the tanks. problem solved.

My buddies want to go for a flight with me. However, they are not exactly thin. All of us come to about 610 pounds (estimated). I only have access to a 172. With full fuel, the plane isn't going anywhere. However, with half fuel, we're good to go.

The real question is getting the fuel out. The school has a deal with the fueling company on the ramp, so they often come by and top off the school's planes without them asking. I've made explicit notes in the reservation to not allow the plane to be filled, but there's no guarantee this will happen (I'm also going to call a few days before and the day of).

Should the plane have full tanks when I arrive, what can I do to drain the fuel (besides fly around)? Since the A&P is likely not on site on the weekend, am I pretty much SoL?

I have my license, but I figured this would be good stuff for future reference. That's why it's in Pilot Training.

Wikipedia:
A private pilot license (PPL) or, in the US, a private pilot certificate, is a license that permits the holder to act as the pilot in command of an aircraft privately (not for pay).

You have certificate not a license.

My bad. Just common speech to refer to it as a license. Especially after conversing with the non-aviation population.

Actually, he has an FAA certificate which documents his license to fly. So, he really has both a certificate and a license.

In any event, I'd say the OP's problem is really the school's problem -- their airplane, their deal with the fuelers, their business. Unless the school puts the hammer down on the fuelers, there is little the OP can do, as there are potential liability issues involved in draining the fuel and putting it back in, and the school may not wish to accept that risk. So, this is really something the OP needs to hash out with the school, and the school with the fuelers. Unless it's your own plane, you are at the mercy of the aircraft owner.

In any event, I'd say the OP's problem is really the school's problem -- their airplane, their deal with the fuelers, their business. Unless the school puts the hammer down on the fuelers, there is little the OP can do, as there are potential liability issues involved in draining the fuel and putting it back in, and the school may not wish to accept that risk. So, this is really something the OP needs to hash out with the school, and the school with the fuelers. Unless it's your own plane, you are at the mercy of the aircraft owner.

That's what I figured. I just wanted to post and see if I couldn't find another way.

I asked my CFI about possibly draining fuel if we were overweight and he said that the flight school wouldn't allow it since they've decided the fuel needs to be thrown away once it's removed from the plane (aside from the GATS jar when sumping the tanks).

There have been a few times where I would be overweight if filled above tabs and I called the flight school a couple days before and asked them not to top it off. I would usually call again the day of. They were usually good about it but a couple times I found the plane topped off. Luckily one of the times there was another 172 I was able to switch to, and the other time one of passengers bailed last second and weight was no longer an issue.

Man that would suck to get to the airport on a nice day with a couple friends only to find that they topped off the tanks and you can't go without leaving someone behind.

Man that would suck to get to the airport on a nice day with a couple friends only to find that they topped off the tanks and you can't go without leaving someone behind.

That's my worry here. The airport is like 1.5 hours from my friend's place.

I learned my lesson for the "other" thread......

No way am I gonna use the D word.:nonod::nonod::no:

...Drive?

It would just be a sightseeing flight. We aren't going anywhere specific. I might do a T&G at another airport so I can get some XC time.

That's my worry here. The airport is like 1.5 hours from my friend's place.

Just out of curiousity, if your friend is an hour and half drive away, is there a closer airport to him you could fly in and pick him up at? That would burn some fuel.

One thing you might try is scheduling later in the day. The school I rent from has a similar deal with the FBO on field (top off tanks, whenever).

That's not going to guarantee that you'll get 1/2 tanks of course (people cancel, book the plane for 2 hrs only fly 1, etc), but it might help a little.

Could you go the evening before and tape a note on top of the wings that says only 1/2 tanks for first flight of the day in big red letters?

"Most" refueling trucks usually have the ability to defuel an airplane.

They do "NOT" like to as it takes a good deal of time and may violate
company regs.

The pilot in command is responsible for the correct weight and balance.

If it's not right, take one friend at a time and counsel them on sharing
the great treats they are obviously not sharing enough of.

Wikipedia:
A private pilot license (PPL) or, in the US, a private pilot certificate, is a license that permits the holder to act as the pilot in command of an aircraft privately (not for pay).

Funny how the impression can change depending on which words are bold.

Worse comes to worse, I can just take them each one a couple laps around the pattern.

Just out of curiousity, if your friend is an hour and half drive away, is there a closer airport to him you could fly in and pick him up at? That would burn some fuel.

There probably is a closer airport, I think Manassas (KHEF) or Stafford (KRMN) are nearby him. The thing is, by the time I would arrive, it would be dark. I'd like them to have some sunlight in the plane for a few moments. Plus, I haven't seem them in a while, so a car ride might get us some goofin' around time.

However, that is a crazy cool way to arrive to meet my friends lol.

One thing you might try is scheduling later in the day. The school I rent from has a similar deal with the FBO on field (top off tanks, whenever).

That's not going to guarantee that you'll get 1/2 tanks of course (people cancel, book the plane for 2 hrs only fly 1, etc), but it might help a little.

I'm the last person on the plane for the day, so that should help. I can just call as much as I can and be proactive.

Could you go the evening before and tape a note on top of the wings that says only 1/2 tanks for first flight of the day in big red letters?

That's not a bad idea the next time I have a morning flight!

Call the FBO (not the school) and tell them not to refuel it.

Be careful with 27 gallons at night and watch the temp/dp spread >5C. Have fun.

Oh we won't be up for more than an hour, so it'll just be cresting the official night time about 30 min after we land. Reserves should be in order.

You're talking about watching the temp/dp spread below 5*C because of frost and/or icing, right?

Correction: 5F not C.

On a clear night when the dew point colder than 32 F and the temperature-dew point spread is 5 F or less and decreasing, then frost will form. Fog is most likely when the temperature-dew point spread is 5 F or less and decreasing.

...counsel them on sharing
the great treats they are obviously not sharing enough of.

Oh yeah, unsolicited weight loss advice, that will make them want to spend time with him...NOT!

Last edited:
Funny how the impression can change depending on which words are bold.

Not to mention using Wikipedia as an authority for nitpicking. (What's wrong with this picture?)

The best bet if one wants an authoritative source is to see if the article cites a relevant reference.

Last edited:
There probably is a closer airport, I think Manassas (KHEF) or Stafford (KRMN) are nearby him. The thing is, by the time I would arrive, it would be dark. I'd like them to have some sunlight in the plane for a few moments. Plus, I haven't seem them in a while, so a car ride might get us some goofin' around time.

However, that is a crazy cool way to arrive to meet my friends lol.

What city is he in? I live near those two airports (drive by HEF regularly). I can give a local recommendation if you want, for future reference.

If it is full. Take a few flights around the pattern but leave the fuel caps off. That will get rid of the fuel fast! Just kidding.

Doug

Hahah Doug that might get rid of the fuel faster than I would like!

What city is he in? I live near those two airports (drive by HEF regularly). I can give a local recommendation if you want, for future reference.

He lives in Occoquan. Manassas and Stafford are the two closest, easily accessible airports I can think of.

Back