Silliest logbook question yet?

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
Is there anything to prevent a CFI from holding a ground school in the cabin of a B747? Presuming not, what stops the CFI from endorsing "training received" (ie dual) for all of the students?

Part 61 said:
Flight training means that training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft.

Conduct, sure.

Log as "flight training", nope.

Then again, that's not in 61.51(h). You could say that even though flight training hasn't occurred, it can be logged as such. Much as somebody who's not acting as PIC can log PIC at times.

How do you get flight training in the "cabin" - or did you mean "cockpit"?

Regardless of that - "ground school" is not flight training

I don't know if it's the "silliest" but it'd definitely in the running.

Is there anything to prevent a CFI from holding a ground school in the cabin of a B747? Presuming not, what stops the CFI from endorsing "training received" (ie dual) for all of the students?

:rofl:

I'll give you a "C" for creativity, but an "F" for critical thinking. ;)

You can teach ground school wherever you like. But I thought flight training actually involved flying an airplane ,not riding in one.

Strangely enough, by the FAA's definitions, that aeronautical knowledge session in the cabin of a 747 in flight really does appear to be "flight training".
14 CFR 61.1 said:
Flight training means that training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft.
Ground training means that training, other than flight training, received from an authorized instructor.
...as it is indeed "training received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft". However, per 61.195, the instructor involved will need a B747 type rating in order to give that "flight training" in that type-rating-required 747.
14 CFR 61.195 said:
(b) Aircraft Ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating; and
(2) If appropriate, a type rating.
But I'd hate to be the instructor trying to explain that to the FSDO.

I actually got that question on my PPL checkride. "Could you do your PPL in a learjet?"

And what was your answer?

It was one of those questions where he wanted to see how far I can extend my answers. I don't remember what I answered then, but I believe the correct answer is yes, you can, but only the ones that are certified for single pilot operations.

Back