SIC recurrent training with PAX?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
61.55 doesn't specifically address it, unless I missed it.

The SIC must have had currency training to include 3 full stop takeoffs and landings and engine out stuff within the previous 12 months to act as required crewmember with pax onboard. So, if the SIC is still within the 12 months since last recurrent, can he do the recurrent training with pax onboard?

If it's in 61.55, I missed it, too, so since the SIC remains current, I see no FAR reason why not. Of course, there are probably a lot of other good reasons not to do "Engine-out procedures and maneuvering with an engine out while executing the duties of pilot in command" (61.55(b)(2)(ii)) with pax aboard.

Of course, there are probably a lot of other good reasons not to do "Engine-out procedures and maneuvering with an engine out while executing the duties of pilot in command" (61.55(b)(2)(ii)) with pax aboard.

Agreed, but in this case we aren't talking about a whole load of pax. I was toying with the idea of having my dad ride the jumpseat next time I go to do re-current in the Gooney.

Sounds correct to me.

I, too, would avoid any engine-out procedures with passengers. Even with other pilots, I ask if they want to see an engine-out demonstrated. Over 90% of them say "No, I like the way the engines sound just fine as-is."

Sounds correct to me.

I, too, would avoid any engine-out procedures with passengers. Even with other pilots, I ask if they want to see an engine-out demonstrated. Over 90% of them say "No, I like the way the engines sound just fine as-is."

I remember my wife sitting in the back of a Twin Comanche knitting while my instructor killed engines (and occasionally feathered props) left and right....no pun intended. Seeing the prop stopped in the feathered position didn't bother her a bit. Of course, she doesn't think that I can do anything wrong in an airplane and I don't want to disabuse her of the notion.

Bob Gardner

Back