SI paperwork just submitted....

triton63

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
triton63
Now let the long wait begin. My Dr said he didn't think there would be a problem but it all depends on which Dr gets the packet in Oklahoma and what kind of day he is having. Had a stint put in about 18 months ago and am a diabetic but under control with meds.

I was told to not expect to hear anything for at least 6-12 months. Hoping it is sooner. I still expect them to want something more in my records, just not sure what else they could want. Ready to get in the air.

Welcome to POA.
Hopefully your AME has all the right paperwork and could have called OKC before he sent it in. Dr Bruce used to be here on POA and would have done so, not taking chances on who opens the package. Although agreed it should not matter who opens the package they all operate the same.

Dr Bruce. Aeromedicaldoc.com

Last edited:
I considered contacting Dr. Bruce but felt confident my AME could handle it. My case is not very complicated so I guess I will find out eventually. If something comes up that is a problem I will contact Dr. Bruce to see what can be done.

Very long day yesterday (about 23 hours). After several weeks/months of gathering paperwork leading up to a whirlwind tour yesterday to fly out and see the good Doctor. Came home with a class 3 in my hand. Nothing too complicated but not waiting and watching the mail for the FAA or stressing about the catch 22 was worth the time and extra expense. After 22 years since my last medical I wasn't about to take any chances.

Lunch with Dr. B was just a bonus. What an interesting guy, he sure has some good stories.

Let us know how long it takes and good luck!!!

Last edited:
I did the same last month. After a few years of waiting and expirations, I decided to take the trip to Peoria. It was well worth the trip. I too, am a fan of Dr B. I found him to be knowledgeable, informative and entertaining.

Amazing what a difference the right AME can make for those of us with a SI or a deferral.

Whats sad is with just a little streamlining of the system and just the removal of some stupidity the system could be so much more efficient and less stressful on the airmen.

Since we all know there are seemingly perfectly healthy people that die instantly there is always going to be judgement involved. So the real question should be does the AME think that there is a better chance than not that this guy standing in-front of him will have an incapacitating event in the next couple of years or not? The rest seems to me is just paper pushing.

Well, in April I heard from the FAA and they requested some more information. My AME sent that and earlier this week, Tuesday, July 8, I received my SI. It took about 4 months and 2 weeks but I am cleared for takeoff!

Well, in April I heard from the FAA and they requested some more information. My AME sent that and earlier this week, Tuesday, July 8, I received my SI. It took about 4 months and 2 weeks but I am cleared for takeoff!
That's awesome now get out there and start flying!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now let the long wait begin. My Dr said he didn't think there would be a problem but it all depends on which Dr gets the packet in Oklahoma and what kind of day he is having. Had a stint put in about 18 months ago and am a diabetic but under control with meds.

I was told to not expect to hear anything for at least 6-12 months. Hoping it is sooner. I still expect them to want something more in my records, just not sure what else they could want. Ready to get in the air.

Good grief. I had to get a special issuance a couple years ago due to a small retained kidney stone and surgery right before my medical to remove a very large kidney stone. Took 14 days because I had to be off pain meds for 10 days. Early on day 11 I called the FAA and he issued a SI right then. Took 3 days to come in the mail. I called the FAA myself because my AME gave me the name and phone number of who to call. The next year I did everything my AME wanted to get my SI renewed, and he issued it right there per letter from the FAA saying he could. 4 weeks later I get a letter from the FAA with my new non special issuance medical requesting that I return my SI since I no longer need it. Kidney stone was gone.

I am thinking (dangerous, I know) but since you already have a history of the stint and diabetes with progress reports then it should not take that long.

Good luck to you, I bet you are very anxious to get in the air. :yes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back