SI 3rd Class question

U

Unregistered

Hello all,
I was granted an SI 3rd class last year with a number of stipulations relating to Type II diabetes. One condition was listed as essentially beginning March (day) 2016, a current status (including A1c) must be submitted annually via a meeting with my AME who would be able to issue absent any new concerns or declines in health from the original issuance.

My question is, does this mean that I need to meet with my AME prior to this March, or does this mean the one-year period starts this March and thus March 2017 would be my first update?

Thanks in advance.

Read your SI letter. There is a page that describes what you need to have to renew.

I am a Type 2 diabetic. What I do is each year, within 75 days of the expiration of my medical is schedule with my family doc to do my annual physical (good idea anyway, especially for diabetic) and have blood labs drawn. During physical, doc does his exam so he can write a status letter to the FAA. He has a boiler plate letter that the AME and FAA are happy with and just updates the various values from the lab. Your doc should do the same for you.

The letter needs to contain

• He examined you, and his general opinion of how you're doing.
  • Your current A1C, fasting glucose, and copy of lab report.
  • What medication you're on (name dosage frequency)
  • How you are tolerating the medication and if there are any bad side effects
  • Examined for signs of retinopathy (eyes), neuropathy (nerves), nephropathy (kidneys), and cardiac damage. If none found, say so.
  • He counseled you on what's needed to obtain and maintain the best A1C possible

Take that to your AME and it should fill all the check boxes. And you'll be renewed on the spot.

Just never let your A1C drift into the 8's. That's bad news anyhow, but it's the yellow arc for the FAA. 9.0 is redline.

And if you can work to get your A1C to less 6.5 or less and the FBG to 124 or less, then you qualify for the pre-diabetes CACI and can get released from the SI as long as you maintain that level or better.

Last edited:
And if you're asking about the "off year" on your two year cycle, you still need to obtain and provide to the FAA the items your SI letter specifies. You are allowed to send it it direct to the FAA with the provided ASSI form and then wait for your new medical to come by mail.

But I prefer to go to the AME in person, pay his reasonable office visit fee, and walk out with the renewed medical. Less chance of a screw up somewhere with bad delays causing a grounding because the current medical times out.

If I didn't answer your question sufficiently, say something and we can ping Drs. Lou or Bruce to step in and do a better job.

Last edited:
appears to me this thread has been nicely and completely answered!!

Thanks for the great information! This is my first go-around with the ongoing updates so I was a bit confused. I am hoping to get to the point where we can drop the SI. I made some pretty big diet and exercise changes post-diagnosis that have paid off.

I made some pretty big diet and exercise changes post-diagnosis that have paid off.

Extra awesome sauce for you!!. :cheers:

If your A1C and FBG get at or below the CACI levels, then really make sure you get a well crafted letter from your doc. Then schedule an appointment with the AME to get that documented and off the SI.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back