Shoulda kept monitoring the AWOS

Dr. Bill

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Mitchell
So I'm coming home from work the other day and doing the GPS 17 approach as there was an overcast layer reported at 11 to 1200 agl on the AWOS. It also said the winds were 100 at 12.

I had checked the AWOS, by my usual practice, 2 or 3 times when I was within radio range (about 50 miles), and it had been pretty consistent.

But when I broke out, I noticed I was higher than I'd have liked to be (I like to hit the numbers for practice), so I dumped all the flaps, pulled the power, and trimmed for my usual 80. Then, I hit some pretty wacky windshear. No biggie, I thought, I've done worse, but I wished I'd not have done all the flaps. Quick windsock check - yup, direction true... Gave a passing thought to pulling some flap out (I know better) and decided just to add a bit of power and a couple of knots.

It was then I realized that to align with the runway I was having to push a lot harder on the rudder than ever before - and still wasn't quite aligned!

I've done a 30 kt direct X-wind in the Cherokee, and about the same in the Cessna 150. I've about a hundred hours now in the Bo, and hadn't noticed crosswinds being a problem... :eek:

For a moment, I considered doing the go-around I was spring-loaded for, anyway. Then, as usually happens, I got into ground effect and lo and behold, it straightened enough to settle! I had to keep telling myself to hold that correction in whilst rolling out.

Wondering why it got so squirrelly in the first place, I flipped on the comm 2 and hear "wind 100 at 22, gusting 24". Windsock sticking straight out.

Well, that explains that. If I had done that technique I have heard many others do of keeping the AWOS playing in the background, I'd have likely been more aware.

Oh well, now I'm MORE experienced. :yikes:

:D:D:D

Last edited:
Nighttime I guess that's good technique, but once I have weather and am close enough to land, I'm looking at the windsock, trees, grass, hats blowing off -- whatever in front of the windscreen, and the amount of crosswind correction required to maintain centerline is all that matters.

I'm just not smart enough to calculate a crosswind component on short final!

I have about 50 hours in a V tail and I found i ran out of rudder far sooner than I did in an A36.

:dunno:

Ya know, in AOPA Pilot magazine, Rod Machado just wrote an article that gave as fact the concept that pilots always think they have better skill than they actually do; and further, that the more skilled they are, the more they over-estimate their skills!

Not sure about all that...
liar.gif

He goes on to say that this is why normally reasonable folks go on to bend metal in poor judgment decisions. And, that the only people who truthfully estimate their abilities are depressed folks!

Now, I don't know about these "facts", but it sure makes me think about the times I've gotten 'learnin'.
icon_e_wink.gif

:target:

:):)

I figure, might as well! Just kidding... I'm always trying to learn. It's tough with such a thick head!

30kts direct cross wind in a 150 or cherokee? WOW! I think a 737s is like 37 kts.

30kts direct cross wind in a 150 or cherokee? WOW! I think a 737s is like 37 kts.

Quite a blow I would say! Cherokees and 150's are great airplanes!

I've about a hundred hours now in the Bo, and hadn't noticed crosswinds being a problem... :eek:
At least you noticed that there was a cross wind. I remember being surprised initially how little cross winds affected a Bo's landing. It really does make landing well so much easier than other 6 seaters.

Good story Bill!

There was a fun thread in Beechtalk forum about how hard it is to make a bad landing in a Bonanza... They really do make us look like good pilots; But...

... I had a dissenting opinion based on an attempt at 1.1 Vso and NO power (it was an experiment - Boy, did I LEARN from THAT!) :)

...Rod Machado just wrote an article that gave as fact the concept that pilots always think they have better skill than they actually do; and further, that the more skilled they are, the more they over-estimate their skills!
I'm not a CFI, but I do know that in every other endeavor in which I have been involved, there is an inverse relationship between actual skill level and self-identified skill level.

Those who are least skilled believe they walk on water, and those who truly are skilled know how much they don't know and how much better they could do.
Maybe pilots are the exception to the rule, but I doubt it.

Back