Should I talk to a HIMS AME

F

Flying Happy

To start, I’ve held a 1st class medical for 4 years now but some recent happenings with friends in school have me worried.

Background: Separated from the military in 2017 due to a diagnosis that’s been cleared and I have no worry about, however, while I was getting out I experienced some pretty heavy anxiety about the involuntary separation and this was eventually reported on my VA disability’s. “Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depression” I had never seen anyone for the condition and have never seen anyone since. No counseling, I had medication for headaches which the DOC said would help with anxiety, Nortriptyline, and I used that for a few months but felt no difference so I stopped using it, that was in 2018. I’ve been stabile and once I left the marine corps and moved on in life, the anxiety has never been an issue. I’ve been upfront with the FAA about it on my medical applications and the AMEs really don’t ask many questions regarding it, so up until recently, I wasn’t worried.

The dilemma: I’m finishing up flight school and a few of my veteran friends who have had some mental health stuff cleared in the past have been getting letters for additional information recently after applying for their medicals. I’ll be honest, not sure if they have more severe conditions/history, but it’s got me a little worried. My big worry is the fact if I am asked to prove I’m good; I HAVE NO TREATMENT HISTORY, a tricyclic medication prescribed, and the fact that my VA decision letter lists some stuff like SI and Depression. Which I never had but it’s listed under the percentage justification. It also lists headaches (non-frequent) and headaches (frequent) under the same justification, as if someone was just clicking boxes??

Question: I’m curious as to if I continue to report the same stuff I have for the past 4 medicals, if they will one day ask for a bunch of information and send me through hoops. Should I consult a HIMs AME to get things in order?

Soapbox: I understand mental health is harder to clear as stabile unlike a past sprained ankle, but is there no set precedent for medical conditions that have been cleared at the OKC level so many times in a row? Also, it sucks that the guys that are upfront and genuinely want to do right by the FAA are the ones seemingly most penalized by the system.

I had something similar but I medication. I have yet to be asked for more information but plan on it.
@bbchien

Does this thread answer the OPs concern? It only addresses a medication that the Op Hasn’t used since 2017?

I’m not sure how this applies. I see the nortriptyline being a medication that is not acceptable but I was on it for less than 6 months and I haven’t used that since 2018. Not sure if you’re implying the SSRI pathway with this thread or not.

I’m not sure how this applies. I see the nortriptyline being a medication that is not acceptable but I was on it for less than 6 months and I haven’t used that since 2018. Not sure if you’re implying the SSRI pathway with this thread or not.

How does it apply, if it does at all? I have no idea. But I noticed this comment from a guy that knows a little about these things. Perhaps he'll chime in here shortly ...

That was a question about getting a medical and flying while on the drug.

As has been stated here many times and needs to be repeated many times, there is no question on the MedXpress application that asks about medications you've taken in the past.

Question: I’m curious as to if I continue to report the same stuff I have for the past 4 medicals, if they will one day ask for a bunch of information and send me through hoops. Should I consult a HIMs AME to get things in order?
Anything is possible, but if you disclosed everything, and been issued medicals, and the FAA has reviewed them and made no comment, what would you be getting in order?

Anything is possible, but if you disclosed everything, and been issued medicals, and the FAA has reviewed them and made no comment, what would you be getting in order?
I think my biggest concern is the AMEs being lax. Other than my self omission, they really didn’t ask many questions other than the history, if I’m better, and have I been off medications since then. We didn’t submit anything other than the AMEs box. I really have no documentation of the condition other than the original diagnosis back in 2017.
Just don’t want to get 3 years in working somewhere just to have someone at OKC kick back my medical and get put through the wringer after years of not getting questioned. So I was just curious if talking to a HIMs AME would be beneficial or just a waste.

The issue is lack of a current evaluation of the state back in 2017in the current time; (may have completely resolved) but the FAA will certainly demand such.

If you've been through 4 medical and not said a peep, I'd get that done at teh HIMS psychiatry leve to NAIL THAT BABY DOWN, becuase after for omissions you're in pretty deep do do....

The issue is lack of a current evaluation of the state back in 2017in the current time; (may have completely resolved) but the FAA will certainly demand such.

If you've been through 4 medical and not said a peep, I'd get that done at teh HIMS psychiatry leve to NAIL THAT BABY DOWN, becuase after for omissions you're in pretty deep do do....
There don't seem to be any omissions:

I’ve been upfront with the FAA about it on my medical applications . . . .

My mistake if I didn’t make that clear. I’ve been 100% foward about all of it. I’ve clicked the mental health box and described the condition on medexpress. I haven’t left anything out. I figured my first medical better be truthful so I know I’ll get a medical as I was. So all 4 medicals have had the adjustment disorder listed.

I guess my overall question is: should I expect to have to prove myself down the road, despite having the condition listed and cleared through OKC 4 times before? Maybe just get in touch with a HIMs psyc to be proactive and get a current condition report?

I’m only concerned because I’ve seen it happen to two others who have had no questions asked about conditions, just to have OKC randomly ask them to add information on the stuff they had previously cleared on past medicals.

I think the conclusion is if I haven’t been asked so far, they’re probably good with it.

Back