Should I take the job?

U

Unregistered

I am a 300+ hour COM ASEL. I got a job offer to fly a Caravan on floats as SIC. The company is getting me a 135 SIC ride. Most of the flying will be 91. I have to get the ASES addon myself. I'm expected to work 5 days a week at least. The pay is terrible.

The alternative is get the CFI. I will be getting this sometime after the caravan gig if I were to take it. But can not do both at the same time.

Looking for some advice from some of you with experience in this type of operation. Perhaps

Go for it,no one ever made a lot of money in the start of there flying career.

SIC time on any SE airplane is worth squat. I recommend you get your CFI and learn how to fly. It's a very important foundation on which to build your aviation career.

SIC time for all the 135. Part 91 I can log PIC. The majority of the flying will be 91.

Turn it down so you can slog to work in traffic with everyone else. Have a crappy little cubicle with a picture of a Caravan on floats thumb-tacked to the side to brighten your spirits. Then spend WAY too much money on a Cirrus and try not to think about what else you could have done or flown or seen. "Start your slaving job to get yo pay".

Do it. It will either be a brilliant start or let you know flying for a living ain't yer cup of whiskey

Turn it down so you can slog to work in traffic with everyone else. Have a crappy little cubicle with a picture of a Caravan on floats thumb-tacked to the side to brighten your spirits. Then spend WAY too much money on a Cirrus and try not to think about what else you could have done or flown or seen.

:rofl::rofl:

Take it.

2 years down the line those Caravan PIC hours will help you to get a parcel hauling job.

Single SIC is generally not terribly impressive, but a Caravan on floats is. Stick around long nought to learn the plane, get some seaplane time, hopefully mic to the left seat, or move on to bigger and better things. Good luck. CFI training will always be there for you. At less than 500 hours, you not generally very employable at anything other than instructing, so go for it.

Take it if you can make the low pay work. In my opinion all flying experience is good.

Maybe you can remind the company about the impending pilot shortage and use that as leverage to get reasonable compensation.

TAKE IT!

You will grow far more as an aviator flying floats in the van. You'll probably move up to left seat in not too long, the van is a honest plane to fly.

Not many greenhorn CPLs are given this type of opertunity. Greenhorn CFIs are a dime a dozen.

TAKE IT!

You will grow far more as an aviator flying floats in the van. You'll probably move up to left seat in not too long, the van is a honest plane to fly.

That was your potential employer who just registered to try and convince you to fly for slave wages. ;)

Just kidding. In reality, it's not a bad strategy for the future as long as you can afford it in the present.

Lol nope, just a random pilot who stumbled on this site.

Honestly, unless your a free lance CFI known in the area, you're not going to be taking in big bucks as a greenhorn CFI ether.

Much better growth potential and earning potential given an opertunity to fly a van on floats, experience what a opspec is, do 135 rides and work in a real working environment with (I'm guessing) a guy in the left seat with a gang of experience.

I would think the turbine time would be a plus, too.

Take it for sure. Total time is still total time. Pic helps but this is a great learning experience for you and will be just fine for you career.

I took the job.

Pay is still terrible, but I really didn't want to instruct as a primary gig and flying floats has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Have money coming in from a job, or keep paying money for training? Take the job. Keep doing the study and tests and get your CFI while you are getting paid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back