Should I report myself (ASRS)

I'm trying to figure out what you feel was wrong with the situation, prompting you wonder about filing an ASRS?? You were changing altitudes, which is correct. ATC provided you a courtesy traffic advisory, which is correct. You took heed to the courtesy traffic advisory, which is correct. ATC politely asked you to change altitudes, which is correct.

I see nothing that would be unusual. Chances are the traffic was not a factor or he would have said so. It's just an advisory of nearby traffic. You can always ask the for the distance or if it is a factor if unsure.

The confusion caused by the altitude reprimand in this situation caused the pilot to think he had done something wrong. This could lead to a situation where in the future a different pilot receiving the same reprimand may decide that reaching the altitude took precedence over the traffic advisory.

The result of this ASRS report may be to add into a controller advisory memo that after such advisory to inform the pilot they are clear of traffic for continued descent.

What I saw missing from the OP is the call, "traffic no longer a factor" before the admonition on being at the incorrect altitude after a traffic below conflict call. The guy is not reporting his own error, he made none. He pointed out a controller or communications error that is proper to address as to the intent of the reporting system.

Something doesn't sound right. He called traffic at 1 o'clock and 500 below, you call no joy, and then he wants you to descend into the traffic?

I have a real hard time believing it went that way. I'm thinking you missed a call like; 'previous traffic no factor', or something like that. BTW, my opinion is you did not have a 'technical deviation'.

Lastly, this stuff doesn't happen when your radio is in the off position, or as a sop to Ron - monitoring guard.

I suspect the controller said that after the traffic was no factor.

Back