Should I Pursue A Private Pilot License?

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by Alvin E Henderson, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Alvin E Henderson

Alvin E Henderson Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Eugene H.
    Hello everyone! I'm 52yrs old and getting closer to retirement. I'm extremely eager to begin the process of pursuing my lifelong dream of becoming a private pilot, maybe even commercial.

I have a few alcohol-related questions pertaining to getting a 2nd or even a 3rd class medical.

1. In 1998, I was driving under the influence and during a traffic stop, my BAC was a 0.10 - Administrative action was brought against me. My license was eventually suspended but was able to drive back and forth to work with a temporary restricted license. Since then, I have had no other alcohol-related infractions of any sort. Should I disclose this information to an AME?

2. Working 100% from home due to the pandemic, my alcohol consumption increased to a point where I was drinking almost daily. It was really beginning to have an effect on my family and I knew that if I didn't get help, it would ultimately deteriorate my health. On April 19, 2021, I voluntarily admitted myself to a 28-day in-patient alcohol rehabilitation facility. Because no legal action was involved and that I volunteered, do I need to disclose this information to an AME? And would I be denied a 2nd or 3rd class medical by the FAA?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

2. Stingray Don

Stingray Don En-Route

Display name:
    Stingray Don
    A DUI is a significant obstacle. Just search the archives for more information as this topic has been posted many times.

Kenny Phillips likes this.
  3. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips En-Route

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    You can see the required medical forms online, and I believe that you'll find that the answers to your questions will both be "Yes". As mentioned by others, you'll have some work to do, so if you are motivated, get on with it. Read all of the similar posts in this forum, of course. Also, consider Sport Pilot, which will let you fly on a valid driver's license if you've never been denied an FAA medical.

4. RussS

RussS Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    rshermer
    The single alcohol even 23 years ago probably would have issuable with some supporting documents from employers and such backing that you quit drinking. The rehab, though, will tell them that you didn’t quit drinking in that time, even after you already had an adverse event from it. To the FAA, that means you have a problem. I think you can still get issued, but many hoops, months, and dollars will be necessary.

5. Initial Fix

Initial Fix Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Initial Fix
    I’ll strongly suggest setting up a consultation with a senior HIMS AME You don’t want a medical, just the discussion to see what hoops (if any) you will need to jump though. The 0.1 is issuable at the office, the new rehab throws a wrinkle that you need to discuss with the doc.

6. Mason

Mason Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Mase
    Yes, you need to disclose all that.

7. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Bruce C
    One has to distinguish the difference between sobriety (as in, "I'm not drinking now") vs recovery, in which the recognition has occurred that continued recovery is a lifelong affair- it needs maintenance work....that means continued recovery activities.

See, having had a problem and then another, gave you the diagnosis of alcohol dependence. Recovery only occurs in the setting of extended sobriety, but is NOT the same thing.

One pilot said to me, "Sobriety is the removal of alcohol. Recovery is the replacement in your live, with other things". Well- partially. Recovery has to be nourished by continual contact with the sober community and the forever reminder that you just cant' have that stuff (unike the others around you).

The most comment from a relapsed alcoholic is, "One meeting, might have saved me".

i say, "congratulations on rehab". Now go and nourish the recovery. FAA feels the same way....

8. Alvin E Henderson

Alvin E Henderson Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Eugene H.
    Thank you all for your responses! It is greatly appreciated. I will take the advice given to seek consultation with HIMS AME. Will keep you informed on how it all turns out. Once again, thank you.